The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Canada drops age group names

Rate this topic

goalie13

3 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

that's Frisbee football and the skills competition.  I'm talking about real football.  It's still Peewee, Bantan, and Junior.  There are also the high school divisions, which are not U anything.  Hockey is becoming too much like soccer on and off the ice.  The more we take our game away from its roots, the more we lose fans, and players.  The traditions of hockey make it great!  Stop trying to change to soccer. 

1 hour ago, 6string said:

Freshman, sophomore, junior and senior gotta go too?

To be fair, those are largely American terms from my experience. In my school, it was just Grade 9 though 12, no fancy names. Even in university, it was first-year, second-year, etc.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Guess it could be different in various geographies around the country.I'm an old guy that played every sport I could think of as a youth and I don't recall any sport utilizing "under 12, 13 or 14" monikers at all.

Other than soccer and frisbee football, none do.  It's clearly Hockey Canada bowing to the pressures from the PC and SJW movements.  They are just using the excuse of it's the International way.  It's bad news for our sport.  Already fewer kids play.  The viewership is declining, especially in the USA.  The toughness (not fighting;the Twins were very tough, and so was Marcus) needed to play the game is disappearing.  Skill and toughness defined hockey players.  The more we change to a soccer styled game, is bad for the game's future.  What's so wrong with having the names for each age group, like it's always been?  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

that's Frisbee football and the skills competition.  I'm talking about real football.  It's still Peewee, Bantan, and Junior.  There are also the high school divisions, which are not U anything.  Hockey is becoming too much like soccer on and off the ice.  The more we take our game away from its roots, the more we lose fans, and players.  The traditions of hockey make it great!  Stop trying to change to soccer. 

Wrong Alf but okay... Having looked into it further, there are contradicting sources depending where you look. Some sites are using the U-xx format, while some are using the other classifications. Some sources use both. Seems to be it depends on location and program. I was involved in U-12 to U-18 football, soccer, basketball and volleyball. Very interesting to see.

Here's one page from Vancouver

https://westsidefootball.bc.ca/programs/

image.png.033cc0820a73ec92ee250771781d5cb5.png

Here's one from Richmond....

https://www.raidersfootball.ca/programs
5acb68ea75dcfd34fb42c93cb692a968.png

• Thanks 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Other than soccer and frisbee football, none do.  It's clearly Hockey Canada bowing to the pressures from the PC and SJW movements.  They are just using the excuse of it's the International way.  It's bad news for our sport.  Already fewer kids play.  The viewership is declining, especially in the USA.  The toughness (not fighting;the Twins were very tough, and so was Marcus) needed to play the game is disappearing.  Skill and toughness defined hockey players.  The more we change to a soccer styled game, is bad for the game's future.  What's so wrong with having the names for each age group, like it's always been?  

This literally has nothing to do with PC or SJW. Give it up.

1 minute ago, Fantomex said:

This literally has nothing to do with PC or SJW. Give it up.

No way Hockey Canada says publicly that it does.  However, words like Peewee, and Midget have become negative, so we can clearly make the connection to changing from names to U's for political reasons.  I'm entitled to an opinion, so (no) i'm not going to stop speaking.  Telling someone to stop speaking is exactly what the PC police and SJWs do.  We need to hear all voices, so long as they are within the freedom of expression laws.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No way Hockey Canada says publicly that it does.  However, words like Peewee, and Midget have become negative, so we can clearly make the connection to changing from names to U's for political reasons.  I'm entitled to an opinion, so (no) i'm not going to stop speaking.  Telling someone to stop speaking is exactly what the PC police and SJWs do.  We need to hear all voices, so long as they are within the freedom of expression laws.  

You're literally barking up a tree where there's nothing to be found. The U-xx system is very clear and concise. No confusion. I've never heard anyone ever say they were offended by the names, but MANY parents have been confused by the titles. Not every change companies and organizations make are due to PC or SJWs...

As for you giving up this minor change, I again suggest you do give it up. This is NOT worth getting worked up over, my friend. Way bigger fish to fry than a mere name change for the sake of simplicity. The troll in me wants to say your tears are delicious, but really your anger makes me sad.

Edited by Fantomex

4 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

You're literally barking up a tree where there's nothing to be found. The U-xx system is very clear and concise. No confusion. I've never heard anyone ever say they were offended by the names, but MANY parents have been confused by the titles. Not every change companies and organizations make are due to PC or SJWs...

As for you giving up this minor change, I again suggest you do give it up. This is NOT worth getting worked up over, my friend. Way bigger fish to fry than a mere name change for the sake of simplicity. The troll in my wants to say your tears are delicious, but really your anger makes me sad.

@Alflives isn't that far off on this one.  The movement away from 'midget' started with a complaint.

Some other organizations, including BC Hockey and Athletics Canada, changed their classification names in November, 2018. The changes started when Regina Scott, who has a young son with dwarfism, reached out to the local youth basketball association in Guelph, Ont., after noticing the term "midget" on a banner at a mall.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hockey-canada-age-group-names-1.5364260

But I do agree that whatever the genesis of the idea, it's not worth getting worked up over.  Things change.

• Like 1

Just now, goalie13 said:

@Alflives isn't that far off on this one.  The movement away from 'midget' started with a complaint.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hockey-canada-age-group-names-1.5364260

But I do agree that whatever the genesis of the idea, it's not worth getting worked up over.  Things change.

You're right.  It's okay to move forward.  

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

imagine if the age groups were named after dead prime ministers, then we'd have a raging $&!# fit on our hands. 

Oh but I'd laugh my @$$ off! Seriously though, this world has become soft. Everyone is so easily offended and it's actually very disturbing. Why give everyone else that much power over you? Mind boggling...

12 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

Oh but I'd laugh my @$$ off! Seriously though, this world has become soft. Everyone is so easily offended and it's actually very disturbing. Why give everyone else that much power over you? Mind boggling...

personally i find it fascinating. What gives people power? some here think its a tiny number of PC SJW warriors but they don't have the numbers on their own to force change. So why are many people responding to it?

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I am not against change but I am against change for change sake and I tend to agree with you that keeping the existing names is preferable . But maybe that's just us old guys that feel that way Alf. If anybody new to the sport wanted to find out what the various age groups and corresponding names for each group are they could easily find that information readily available on the internet.

I believe the category "Midget" is offensive to some and that Hockey Canada wanted to change/eliminate the name for this group of kids. They took the easy way out and decided to eliminate all of names just in case anyone else would find them offensive as well.

BTW I'm not sure about the toughness being taken out of the game. Have you watched a Bantam game and seen the physicality in their games (oops, I mean the under 15's)? We had one of our players suffer a broken ankle AND wrist on the same boarding play just a week ago. These kids are really tough from my perspective.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

personally i find it fascinating. What gives people power? some here think its a tiny number of PC SJW warriors but they don't have the numbers on their own to force change. So why are many people responding to it?

Can't have anyone with any hurt feelings, ever.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is that the result of making sure everyone in the millennial generation got a ribbon? 

Perhaps, but that seems like a little unlikely. Being easily offended seems to be related to upbringing and personal experience.

Just now, Fantomex said:

Perhaps, but that seems like a little unlikely. Being easily offended seems to be related to upbringing and personal experience.

I think this is a case where we get to blame the boomers, they raised the millennials. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is that the result of making sure everyone in the millennial generation got a ribbon? 

It's like saying a team won second.  Who says a team won second?  That team lost the Final, and got second.  It's like we are trying to breed competition out of society.  Let the kids play their games, and winners get to celebrate winning.  The losers can work harder for the next time.  Maybe sports is a reflection of society?  We might be getting too soft, and our time at the top will be taken over by the tougher societies?