The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) A Contract Swap

Noble 6

This trade would be similar to the Neal - Lucic trade in that it is a swap of bad contracts hoping that the players involved can bring something new to the respective teams. Both player's contracts expire at the same time and the cap hits are comparable. 

To DET: 

Eriksson

Goldobin

4th Round Pick 2020

To VAN: 

Nielsen

Detroit takes the higher cap hit ($750,000 difference), but also saves around 5 million in actual salary for this year as Eriksson's base salary is 1M while Nielsen's is 5.5M. The remaining year's of the contract are fairly comparable with only a $500,000 difference in total salary, but Detroit saves big this year in terms of actual dollars. To sweeten the pot for taking the higher cap hit, they also get a relatively young forward with good numbers who's already in the AHL and a mid round pick. Eriksson could carve out a role by helping the league's worst penalty kill. 

Vancouver saves an extra $750,000 a year against the cap, which does help considering how tight against it we are. Nielsen brings more speed and versatility than Eriksson as he can player center or wing. Nielsen's contract would also be more attractive to a team like Ottawa trying to reach the cap floor in the offseason because he owed slightly less over the remainder of his contract. Being the more versatile player, he could also be more attractive to Seattle to take (along with other assets from the Canucks) for one year. If worst comes to worst he also has the more buyout friendly contract. 

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
  • Upvote 2

Not saying this is the strangest or most unlikely trade proposal but.......

If I am Detroit's GM I would have no interest in making this trade. I could have claimed Goldobin off waivers for nothing so the offer is really Eriksson and a 4th for Nielsen. That would not entice me to take on the higher cap hit and higher buyout opportunity.....I simply do not see how this helps my team. Detroit would need to see value in Eriksson's on ice performance and I don't know how anyone can see that based on current and recent performance.

Ottawa, nor any other teams, are salary cap floor teams. Ottawa is approximately $15M over the cap floor so I don't see that as a potential positive for the Canucks to take on Nielsen.

33 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Not saying this is the strangest or most unlikely trade proposal but.......

If I am Detroit's GM I would have no interest in making this trade. I could have claimed Goldobin off waivers for nothing so the offer is really Eriksson and a 4th for Nielsen. That would not entice me to take on the higher cap hit and higher buyout opportunity.....I simply do not see how this helps my team. Detroit would need to see value in Eriksson's on ice performance and I don't know how anyone can see that based on current and recent performance.

Ottawa, nor any other teams, are salary cap floor teams. Ottawa is approximately $15M over the cap floor so I don't see that as a potential positive for the Canucks to take on Nielsen.

Fair enough on the not enough value for Detroit argument. One thing I would like to say though is that an asset like Goldobin has slightly more value once he clears waivers. If Detroit claimed him in October and decided to send him down, they would risk losing him for nothing. Now, Goldobin is already in the minors so they can call him up for 30 days or 10 games (not sure on the specifics but something like that) without fear of losing him for nothing. 

When I mentioned potentially moving the contract to a cap floor team like Ottawa, I didn't mean right now. Ottawa has 18 contracts expiring at the end of the year (including LTIR contracts like Callahan) and over 40 million in cap space. That would be the time to see if we can dump the contract there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

This is a well thought out and good idea.  Kudos to the OP.

Having said that, I’m quite confident that Eriksson will call it a career after July 1st 2020 (that, or him and the Canucks will find a way to mutually terminate the contract).     Eriksson will have 31 of his 36 million paid out to him after July 1st 2020, and I’m not sure if Eriksson would be willing to ride buses in Utica for two years just to collect 5 million.   It’s possible that he might since 5 million is still 5 million, but I think the chance of mutual contract termination will also be high.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

This is a well thought out and good idea.  Kudos to the OP.

Having said that, I’m quite confident that Eriksson will call it a career after July 1st 2020 (that, or him and the Canucks will find a way to mutually terminate the contract).     Eriksson will have 31 of his 36 million paid out to him after July 1st 2020, and I’m not sure if Eriksson would be willing to ride buses in Utica for two years just to collect 5 million.   It’s possible that he might since 5 million is still 5 million, but I think the chance of mutual contract termination will also be high.

Maybe he will be riding busses sooner then that.  Once the team as Sutter, Ferland and Roussel back and assuming we have no other injuries - he’s definitely the odd man out.   He hasn’t had much ice time - but he also has done virtually nothing with it either to keep him in the lineup long term.   I’m hopeful this will be his last year - but you never know - if he’s not ready to retire and still wants to play - riding busses might be fun for him.  Utica has an awesome following and is actually a pretty nice city - as are some of the regular teams he’d be visiting.   Hard to say - guys like Mike Keane definitely didn’t mind.  Then again he doesn’t have three cup rings and seem to love it at the same level. 

• Upvote 1

I feel like Detroit could pull the trigger since Goldobin probably has Fabbri potential (he's already jumped to 8 points and spiked in playing time by around 5 minutes a night).  Even in a 3rd line role he'd be one injury away from moving up and he might see PP time?

I also like Nielsen in the bottom 6, career wise he's around mid-40's percentage wise in face-offs while Gaudette is 27% this year; Sutter's at 47% which is pretty good so far.  Hope Frans' play-making and defensive ability (whatever's left of it) can help that line gel and work as a solid two-way unit, or he could fit on the 4th line with Beagle and Motte.

Edited by Phil_314