The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia - Cocaine & Combovers (MAFIA WIN, DM A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT)

Rate this topic

falcon45ca

15 hours ago, luckylager said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Melvin is the backup singer there.

By the way, Lucky, I just wanted to touch on something I read a page or two and a day or two ago; mainly I think you're misunderstanding Darth Vader's psychology. To me he represents the externally-controlled agent, a subject who became entirely /dependent/ on the Force--or the Dark Side of it--and was unable, for the length of his life, to escape it. When he was no longer Anakin Skywalker and was reformed into Darth Vader, he lost limbs and organs and was refitted to serve the will of his Sith Master, becoming less himself and more 'machine'--machine both in the literal sense of having a cyborg's body but also apropos his submission to the Dark Side of the Force, which can be 'autonomous' or controlling, and in having his psychology dictated and poisoned by his Master. His redemption and slaying of his puppeteer at the end of his life is a symbol that the human Will can overcome what the world and the mystic jail it with, but the years he spent as a robot only half in control of his actions was still largely the ethic he can only be remembered as embodying. I liken him somewhat to the catatonic subject, or the psychotic whose movements another feels to be, or is, in control of. He did have great power and learned it through practice, dedication and Will--but the individual 'I,' one must remember, has two halves... what comes from inside it and what comes from out. I think the order of this function, how his 'brain' interpreted everything, was fundamentally and very damaged in the Darth Vader character, and I think it was compoundingly &^@#ed up by the traumas he went through and betrayal he felt from his Order as Anakin, the manipulation he suffered from Palpatine, and the physical, literal rebuilding he went through when rescued from Obi-Wan's victory (this last one essentially hardwired the external/internal relationship to be more severely atypical, the line between them becoming blurred by virtue of his new body, outside dissolving itself into inside: homogeneity). I wonder sometimes whether Anakin fell to the Dark Side out of his anger and despair but that Darth Vader stayed there because, at least in part, it felt safer to him when he was not controlling himself. He was someone, after all, who felt empathy and love in his life and who, with his dying act, did what was right at the time. Was the Dark Side,--and particularly the autonomous, echopraxic nature of it,--a comfort in light of what bad he knew he did but could never consider, for it would harm him too much? His fall was from anger, passion, psychotic wonderfulness and whatever else, but his long remainder in those lands, largely submissive to the motions, could perhaps only be interpreted as escape.

Edited by 112
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
7 hours ago, 112 said:

By the way, Lucky, I just wanted to touch on something I read a page or two and a day or two ago; mainly I think you're misunderstanding Darth Vader's psychology. To me he represents the externally-controlled agent, a subject who became entirely /dependent/ on the Force--or the Dark Side of it--and was unable, for the length of his life, to escape it. When he was no longer Anakin Skywalker and was reformed into Darth Vader, he lost limbs and organs and was refitted to serve the will of his Sith Master, becoming less himself and more 'machine'--machine both in the literal sense of having a cyborg's body but also apropos his submission to the Dark Side of the Force, which can be 'autonomous' or controlling, and in having his psychology dictated and poisoned by his Master. His redemption and slaying of his puppeteer at the end of his life is a symbol that the human Will can overcome what the world and the mystic jail it with, but the years he spent as a robot only half in control of his actions was still largely the ethic he can only be remembered as embodying. I liken him somewhat to the catatonic subject, or the psychotic whose movements another feels to be, or is, in control of. He did have great power and learned it through practice, dedication and Will--but the individual 'I,' one must remember, has two halves... what comes from inside it and what comes from out. I think the order of this function, how his 'brain' interpreted everything, was fundamentally and very damaged in the Darth Vader character, and I think it was compoundingly &^@#ed up by the traumas he went through and betrayal he felt from his Order as Anakin, the manipulation he suffered from Darth Plagueis, and the physical, literal rebuilding he went through when rescued from Obi-Wan's victory (this last one essentially hardwired the external/internal relationship to be more severely atypical, the line between them becoming blurred by virtue of his new body, outside dissolving itself into inside: homogeneity). I wonder sometimes whether Anakin fell to the Dark Side out of his anger and despair but that Darth Vader stayed there because, at least in part, it felt safer to him when he was not controlling himself. He was someone, after all, who felt empathy and love in his life and who, with his dying act, did what was right at the time. Was the Dark Side,--and particularly the autonomous, echopraxic nature of it,--a comfort in light of what bad he knew he did but could never consider, for it would harm him too much? His fall was from anger, passion, psychotic wonderfulness and whatever else, but his long remainder in those lands, largely submissive to the motions, could perhaps only be interpreted as escape.

Oh I understand the push/pull (bpd) nature of Vader.

The fact remains that he was easily manipulated and turned to the darkside because of his basic, human emotional attachments; which is the only thing I mentioned in regards to his psychology.

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Oh I understand the push/pull (bpd) nature of Vader.

The fact remains that he was easily manipulated and turned to the darkside because of his basic, human emotional attachments; which is the only thing I mentioned in regards to his psychology.

I wouldn't call love basic...

leonardo dicaprio GIF

Most of the big moments of Anakin's life deal with his fear of losing the people he loves. 

He becomes a Jedi so he can save his mother from slavery. His first true descent into the dark side is a result of his anger over the loss of his mother.

He becomes Darth Vader so that he can become strong enough to save his wife. He kills the Emperor so that he can save his son.

It's all about love.

• Cheers 1