The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs fire Mike Babcock, name Sheldon Keefe as new head coach

Rate this topic

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Keefe was Dubas’ guy in SSM and I believe Dubas is the one who hired him to coach the Marlies too. Dubas has been waiting to make this move since day one. 

As much as I think Babs is overrated, I think this mess still falls on Dubas. A couple years ago Babs coached the Leafs (minus Tavares) to a 100+ point season. Dubas has depleted the depth through massive contracts to four forwards, somehow made their defence worse, and failed to find a backup goalie. 

Bang on.

• Cheers 1

My take on anyone suggesting Babcock as a coach?

No matter where; Seattle, Vancouver, SJ.

He is owed nearly $20 million bucks. To sign elsewhere, he is needs to forfeit this money?  Or get TOML's blessing. Fired from active duty yes.  Still under contract, correct also. At the end of the day, they can reduce their loss by allowing a move to a new team.  But its a negotiated settlement.

And Babcock himself wont (presumably) sign unless he can make more money than is owed on his current pact. It would be dumb. It is so much money?

We may not see Babs, except on Team Canada, for 3 more years!

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Keefe was Dubas’ guy in SSM and I believe Dubas is the one who hired him to coach the Marlies too. Dubas has been waiting to make this move since day one. 

As much as I think Babs is overrated, I think this mess still falls on Dubas. A couple years ago Babs coached the Leafs (minus Tavares) to a 100+ point season. Dubas has depleted the depth through massive contracts to four forwards, somehow made their defence worse, and failed to find a backup goalie. 

Babcock is still an experienced coach that has been able to coach teams to championships.  Is he has godly as some people make him out to be?  No.  Could he be an upgrade on Green?  I'd say so given his experience alone. 

Having an experienced coach for our inexperienced roster would be pretty valuable.  Green (an inexperienced coach) leading an inexperienced team into battle doesn't sit well with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

My take on anyone suggesting Babcock as a coach?

No matter where; Seattle, Vancouver, SJ.

He is owed nearly $20 million bucks. To sign elsewhere, he is needs to forfeit this money?  Or get TOML's blessing. Fired from active duty yes.  Still under contract, correct also. At the end of the day, they can reduce their loss by allowing a move to a new team.  But its a negotiated settlement.

And Babcock himself wont (presumably) sign unless he can make more money than is owed on his current pact. It would be dumb. It is so much money?

We may not see Babs, except on Team Canada, for 3 more years!

Are you sure about that?  I'm pretty sure if he's fired, the contract is terminated. 

6 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

This
This 

This

Well said

• Cheers 2

While Babcock hasn't done himself any favors, like others have said, Dubas shares a lot of responsibility for the performance of the team.  I still can't see how they will keep all of Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Nylander when all of their D except for Rielly are free agents next summer, including their big ticket acquisition in Tyson Barrie.  They only have $15M in cap space but if they want better depth at D, $15M doesn't seem nearly enough even if Sandin and Liljegren make the jump next year.  They will probably go cheap with their forward depth as well which admittedly will remain mostly intact since most of their forwards won't be free agents next summer.

It'll be interesting to see the response of the big names.