The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Babcock or Green. Who would you rather see coach the Canucks.

Rate this topic

rekker

Who would you like to see coaching the Canucks?  

240 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:
TOR 2015–16 82 29 42 11 69 8th in Atlantic Missed Playoffs
TOR 2016–17 82 40 27 15 95 4th in Atlantic 6 2 4 .333 Lost in First Round (WSH)
TOR 2017–18 82 49 26 7 105 3rd in Atlantic 7 3 4 .429 Lost in First Round (BOS)
TOR 2018–19 82 46 28 8 100 3rd in Atlantic 7 3 4 .429 Lost in First Round (BOS)
TOR 2019 23 9 10 4 22 (fired)
TOR total 351 173 133 45     20 8 12 .400  

Look at Babcock's recent history. TOR went from last in their division to a playoff team. Of course there were trades and aquisitions by the GM that helped too but much of that turn around can be attributed to Babcock. 

In addition to winning a Stanley Cup he's also lost in 3 Finals  and he's only missed the playoffs twice in his long career. People saying he is overrated are fools. He has a proven track record. People who say his playing style won't fit with the team are misguided. He plays a style that focuses on puck possession and utilizing your skill guys. A great system for a team like ours with elite talent like Petterson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, and Hughes.

Now that you have thrown all of our excuses for not hiring Babcock in the trash, we have a confession to make. 

:bigblush:

The reason we are saying we don't want Babcock isn't because he's a bad coach but because he will ruin our chances at the first overall pick. 

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Kushman said:

I think a lot of people are letting their hate for the leafs influence their view of Babcock as a coach.

He's an all time great with a resume to back it. I don't understand how people will throw him under the bus but maintain such blind loyalty towards Green, who has accomplished NOTHING as an nhl coach.

Could be. I don't follow the Leafs so I'm more familiar with him from his Redwing days, and he's a good coach from what I can tell based on how well his teams consistently play. 

The only positive I hear about Green from CDCers is that he has established a culture of strong work ethic. While work ethic IS good there is a little saying that goes 'work smarter not harder'.  Voluntarily giving up puck possession countless dozens of times per game is not playing smarter. Expecting Pettersson and Boeser to play chip and chase is not playing smarter. 

I've been on the 'Fire Green' bandwagon since  midway through last season when it became glaringly obvious he was in over his head and didn't know how to utilize his players or counterattack opponents systems in game. I'm just glad more fans are beginning to see the light. The reasons for the blind devotion for him by some fans is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

Babcock straight up. 

Honestly, this guy has far more experience in coaching than Green and has a proven track record for winning. You can't go wrong with him. But what about the Maple Leafs? If Babcock were so good wouldnt the Leafs be doing good right now? The answer is no. If you're missing your attention to detail and motivation to play while Mike Babcock is coaching you, the problem isn't Mike Babcock, the problem is the players.

• Wat 1

You really want to flip the hockey world on its head and have Toronto Sports Media losing their collective poo?

Hire Babs as a 1b coach.  Green and Babs 1a/1b coaching.  effectively no real assistant coach both overseeing the offensive and defensive aspects of the team on ice.

The screams and cries would be loud, until the first cup win.

Then they'd be deafening

I respect Babcock’s career as a coach, but he is not the answer. He had all that talent with the Leafs but their team was never good enough to succeed when it mattered. Yes he has won in the past, but most of those teams were stacked. Won the cup with The stacked Red Wings in their prime, along with a stacked Team Canada that has by far the best hockey players in the world. 

We are slumping, yes, but it’s way too early to turf the coach. Green is building an identity with this team and sometimes you go through hard times to get there like we are now. I can’t believe the audacity of some of you to so quickly throw the coach under the bus. Honus has to be on the players just as much as the coaching staff. Yes, I’m talking about Bo, Petey, Quinn, Brock, Marky, Miller... everyone! I love all those guys I listed but they are as much to blame, so stop blaming this all on Green!!

Rant over. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, BlueDragon23 said:

I respect Babcock’s career as a coach, but he is not the answer. He had all that talent with the Leafs but their team was never good enough to succeed when it mattered. Yes he has won in the past, but most of those teams were stacked. Won the cup with The stacked Red Wings in their prime, along with a stacked Team Canada that has by far the best hockey players in the world. 

We are slumping, yes, but it’s way too early to turf the coach. Green is building an identity with this team and sometimes you go through hard times to get there like we are now. I can’t believe the audacity of some of you to so quickly throw the coach under the bus. Honus has to be on the players just as much as the coaching staff. Yes, I’m talking about Bo, Petey, Quinn, Brock, Marky, Miller... everyone! I love all those guys I listed but they are as much to blame, so stop blaming this all on Green!!

Rant over. 

Identify?

what identify are we building? Losing is ok as long as we try hard? 

don’t ever ever stand up for a teammate 

some identify 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Correct.  I don't see Green coaching this team to a Stanley Cup championship any time soon.  We'll need an experienced coach to get to that level.

well Babcock didn't get the Leafs to  a cup level!!! he also was not well liked by the players in Toronto and Detroit

31 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

How so?  Please explain

No trap break 

no break out plays, just a circle back cluster 

terrible lack of line matching, terrible roster choices, terrible oversight of special teams 

can’t manage line changes without too many men on the ice 

no use of timeouts at strategic times 

..... that’s just a start 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

I am by no means a Green hater, but anyone who says they rather have Green over Babcock are absent minded. You can call Babcock overrated, but Babs is a proven winner in the NHL. Whereas, Green hasn’t won anything in any league.

Babs was a proven  winner, he isn't now!!!

31 minutes ago, the grinder said:

and how long did Toronto suck for before they made the playoffs   ?   hmm a number one over all draft pick and a ton of other high draft picks    sure would help a coach  wouldn't it  ,  ya made the playoffs  and got bounced out the first round 3 years in a row  , twice by the same team   so would that be on the coach or the team ?  I would say that was coaching  ,  if you ask  why  two words jake gardiner .  in game 7  of the bostson series   jake got burned for 5 goals  wouldn't a good coach get him off the ice, just saying  

I think you're trolling but I'll go ahead and respond.  To answer your question the Leafs missed the playoffs from 2006-2012, and again from 2014-2016.  No they didn't maintain the exact same roster over that time period, lol, and  I acknowledged that in my post you are replying to.  2015-2016 was Babcock's first season and coincidentally the last time they have missed the playoffs since. In the Game 7 you are referring to would having Jake Gardiner on the bench have magically made the Leaf players score 4 goals to tie it up?  It was already too late at that point...... But this isn't about the Leafs it's about Babcock.

8 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

There was never anyone and came out and said that 

all Toronto media fake news 

maybe go look it up about  some Detroit players  who actually said they did not like the way Babs coached. actually tho in defense of Babs  I think dufus set him up to fail

Edited by bree2

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

maybe go look it up about  some Detroit players  who actually said they did not like the way Babs coached

I will BUT what’s wrong with a coach pissing some players off? They make a fortune and then get mad someone holdS them accountable?

good on Babs

we need that 

5 minutes ago, bree2 said:

maybe go look it up about  some Detroit players  who actually said they did not like the way Babs coached. actually tho in defense of Babs  I think dufus set him up to fail

Btw Mike Commodore was a piece of crap hockey player that deserved to be wronged by Babs