The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Babcock or Green. Who would you rather see coach the Canucks.

Rate this topic

rekker

Who would you like to see coaching the Canucks?  

240 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

59 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Lol okay, so we're supposed to take some guys word that played 17 games under him as gospel? The honeymoon wasn't even over yet.

He played for him twice, once in Anaheim’s farm system. And was treated like crap there by Babcock too. Was traded and started a pretty solid career for himself.

18 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

No trap break 

no break out plays, just a circle back cluster 

terrible lack of line matching, terrible roster choices, terrible oversight of special teams 

can’t manage line changes without too many men on the ice 

no use of timeouts at strategic times 

..... that’s just a start 

I dont think you know what youre talking about.

tell me what the far side winger does on break outs.

• Cheers 2

I like Green, but probably Babs. Not sure he's the right fit though, but I'm not really sure who is. 

At any given time you've only got a limited pool of coaches available and if you want someone you've gotta try and grab em quick. 

It'd be funny if we hired him and kept Green on in some capacity too, it'd be even funnier if we made the playoffs with Babs and Toronto missed. Toronto would have a meltdown. Don't see it happening though. 

47 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

How so?  Please explain

-Teams have figured out an effective method to counter our break out. A variation of the neutral zone trap. Green has made no adjustments. 

-Green still has forwards playing high, necessitating a long stretch pass through a clogged up neutral zone. This doesn't work at least 75% of the time yet they continue to do it ad nauseum. This is a continuation of the exact same system they played last season. It didn't work then either. 

-Sloppy changes and surrendering puck possession voluntarily waaaaaay too many times per game. Green sees no problem spending most of the night chasing the puck.  In fact he thinks it's reel gud.

-A stationary and  predictable PP. Teams have figured out that all you have to do is badger the puck carrier because all the Canucks are going to do is pass it back and forth around the outside trying to set up a one timer. No risk of the uncovered man trying to set up a backdoor play so commit to the puck carrier with no fear of repercussions. Green thinks the PP looks amazing.

-A stationary PK. Our 4 man box literally stands stoic as a statue merely swinging their sticks while the other team has all the time in the world to make a play. This system makes Travis elated.

-Personel choices: Playing Leivo on the PP and in OT. Continuing to play Erickson. Sitting Virtanen when he's the only one creating any energy in the game. Scratching Guadette to play Loui. Quadruple shifting Horvat so he can win a faceoff just to have his linemates dump it down the ice and skate to the bench. 

And on and on and on....

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

-Teams have figured out an effective method to counter our break out. A variation of the neutral zone trap. Green has made no adjustments. 

-Green still has forwards playing high, necessitating a long stretch pass through a clogged up neutral zone. This doesn't work at least 75% of the time yet they continue to do it ad nauseum. This is a continuation of the exact same system they played last season. It didn't work then either. 

-Sloppy changes and surrendering puck possession voluntarily waaaaaay too many times per game. Green sees no problem spending most of the night chasing the puck.  In fact he thinks it's reel gud.

-A stationary and  predictable PP. Teams have figured out that all you have to do is badger the puck carrier because all the Canucks are going to do is pass it back and forth around the outside trying to set up a one timer. No risk of the uncovered man trying to set up a backdoor play so commit to the puck carrier with no fear of repercussions. Green thinks the PP looks amazing.

-A stationary PK. Our 4 man box literally stands stoic as a statue merely swinging their sticks while the other team has all the time in the world to make a play. This system makes Travis elated.

-Personel choices: Playing Leivo on the PP and in OT. Continuing to play Erickson. Sitting Virtanen when he's the only one creating any energy in the game. Scratching Guadette to play Loui. Quadruple shifting Horvat so he can win a faceoff just to have his linemates dump it down the ice and skate to the bench. 

And on and on and on....

sigh.........nevermind

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

please spare some time to watch this video.

anyways for me at this point I rather have green.

Thanks for the upload, I did not know this about Babcock but I personally would not want him, someone like Trotz , Quenneville, G.Gallant, proven winners. But give Coach Green the rest of this season, most likely will not be any coach available until then, if a coaching change is needed.

All teams have slumps. Canucks are no different. Didn't hear anybody bitching about Green the first dozen games. As a certified old guy I am advocating patience. Don't get too high when the team is playing well, and don't get too low when they aren't. It is far easier on your heart, your stomach, you nerves and everyone else around you if you just breathe, file the losses under "too bad" and focus on the next game. And know this: the guy you want to fire knows the game better than you do, knows the players better than you do and feels the frustration of losing far deeper than you ever can (except if you yourself have played several seasons in the NHL, then we'll listen to you). As for Babcock, he accomplished virtually nothing in Toronto and precious little in Detroit after 2010, so how is he better than Green?

45 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I dont think you know what youre talking about.

tell me what the far side winger does on break outs.

The way you worded that shows me you learned hockey watching tv and not playing 

people like you make me laugh 

Assuming the D man did not carry the puck up the ice, let’s assume left D behind the net. Left winger hooks back gives a target along the boards. centre button hooks in cheating to the left and the right wing hooks at the right circle and watches if the d man passes up the left wing, if he does the right winger cuts up the middle. Gives tge D man 3 targets and the left Winger 2 options 

you should try playing, may keep you from making dumb comments 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I believe it happened with Wayne Cashman in the late '90s. Cashman was the head coach for the Flyers during the 1997-98 season. Then in the following season, Roger Neilson was brought in as head coach while Cashman was demoted to assistant coach.

That happened with Jim Playfair too I believe when the Flames brought in Mike Keenan. 

5 hours ago, naslund.is.king said:

1 hr and we're already having this discussion :lol:

That’s how great Babcock is.

Should the Canucks suddenly do such a move, it would be very hard to see Green out. 

Green is a really good coach for this team.

But it’s Babcock.

4 minutes ago, brownky said:

I wonder how many Babcock fans remember how much he hates playing young players? 

Look for Loui on the first line, like Marleau last year. Doesn't matter how ineffective they are, as long as they've paid their dues. 

Putting Eriksson and Marleau in the same sentence is the fundamental problem with this view.

Green is fine for sure.

Edited by Me_