The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] How is Eriksson Not Waived?

Rate this topic

Provost

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

I fully expected to see Eriksson on waivers today and sent to the farm.

I am not sure honestly what any argument against it could be at this point.

He isn’t penalty killing, he isn’t good defensively, he isn’t doing “the little things” right, he isn’t putting in the effort, he isn’t an option to fill in the top six during injuries, he no longer has the trust of his coach (look at his minutes when he is in the lineup).

When you are outplayed by a fringe guy like Graovac... you are done.

Maybe he retires rather than reporting to Utica, maybe not... but it should be tried.  It is startling how different the success of the entire team hinges on all four lines pushing the pace.  When we have lost that from our 4th line, suddenly the top two lines start faltering as well... maybe because they are focussed on more.

Sorry for a bit of a rant, but to me it is really inconceivable that the team hasn’t played hardball yet with this player.

Does anyone have an argument FOR Eriksson remaining now?  Mentoring Petterson doesn’t fly for me to keep a valuable roster spot... especially with the impending return of Roussel 

Playing hard ball with him is just not good for the chemistry of the team. He is still liked by his teammates. He's not a cancer in the locker room.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

I probably suspect that Green still sees more value in him that most fans and wants him around as a 13th forward for now. However, if we ever get a completely healthy forward group, I'd say he's in big danger of finally being waived since Gaudette is now playing far too well to go back to Utica.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, mll said:

Eriksson is represented by JP Barry of CAA.  They are one if not the most powerful agency - Puckpedia has them with the highest overall value of contracts.  Benning might simply not want to get in a dispute with them - not worth it for a 13th F.   Agents also influence their clients in free agency.

Didn't hear the segment but some have posted that Dhaliwal says it's Benning that wants to keep Eriksson while Green would prefer him in Utica.  

That’s a factor I have never considered. Good point!

1 minute ago, Provost said:

That is nonsense... we have a long list of depth players who could get called up at this point and be more effective.

Heck, you could play a D like Biega at forward for that 6 minutes a game and be further ahead.

Beyond that, you can demote Eriksson and he isn’t going to be picked up and would still be available in the case of 2/3rds of our forward group being injured at the same time and getting to him on the depth chart.

Heck, if Graovac has another good game you would be more worried about him being claimed on the way down and reducing our depth more than Eriksson... he is literally the least likely of our depth to get claimed.

Your argument is just empirically wrong

Firstly I think any player who already previously cleared waivers this season must play 10 games or be up for 30 days before they need waivers again to go down.  

As for LE, It's becoming kind of clear that he has a gentleman's agreement to retire after his 2020 July bonus, providing JB/Aquilini keep him on the big club for this full season.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

We have better injury fill ins. Imo. 

1 minute ago, Provost said:

That is nonsense... we have a long list of depth players who could get called up at this point and be more effective.

Heck, you could play a D like Biega at forward for that 6 minutes a game and be further ahead.

Beyond that, you can demote Eriksson and he isn’t going to be picked up and would still be available in the case of 2/3rds of our forward group being injured at the same time and getting to him on the depth chart.

Heck, if Graovac has another good game you would be more worried about him being claimed on the way down and reducing our depth more than Eriksson... he is literally the least likely of our depth to get claimed.

Your argument is just empirically wrong

We presently have 4 forwards on IR. Say what you want about LE but he can kill 5-10, NHL level minutes, and PK if needed, while we have injuries. And allow kids to continue to develop and play big minutes in Utica. Or conversely, sit in the press box as he's done most of the year, including last night.

If/when we get anything resembling healthy and with Gaudette forcing his way on the team, there won't even be room for that IMO.

Much ado about nothing (particularly after a game he sat for).

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Firstly I think any player who already previously cleared waivers this season must play 10 games or be up for 30 days before they need waivers again to go down.  

As for LE, It's becoming kind of clear that he has a gentleman's agreement to retire after his 2020 July bonus, providing JB/Aquilini keep him on the big club for this full season.  

Alf, I want to believe but I unfortunately don't see that happening. Why would Eriksson leave money on the table when he can simply coast like he has the last 3 years and collect millions more?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Alf, I want to believe but I unfortunately don't see that happening. Why would Eriksson leave money on the table when he can simply coast like he has the last 3 years and collect millions more?

Because he will not want to play in Utica.  He's made 50 million!  He can retire, like Luongo did, and still live like a King.  What's the name of the Buffalo guy, who last season left and went home to Sweden leaving 10 million?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Because he will not want to play in Utica.  He's made 50 million!  He can retire, like Luongo did, and still live like a King.  What's the name of the Buffalo guy, who last season left and went home to Sweden leaving 10 million?  

The more apt comparison from Buffalo would be Moulson.  The Sabres dropped him like a greasy potato and then loaned him out to a different NHL team's AHL club for almost 3 seasons.

They wanted him out of the organization.

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but I think the Canucks are trying to cover up this disasterous contarct that was given to Loui. If they send Loui to Utica, it will be seen as a major blunder (even though it already is), and they would be admitting the mistake. They're just trying to save face right now and maybe really hoping that Loui does somehting good with this next opportunity, so it doesn't look as bad. Maybe Loui does enough that another team is fine taking him on. Can't see it, but good luck to them. The Canucks stress at the beginning of every season, that players who earn the spots wil be rewarded. That's BS. They managed to rid themselves of Gagner, they need to do the same with Loui.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, mll said:

Eriksson is represented by JP Barry of CAA.  They are one if not the most powerful agency - Puckpedia has them with the highest overall value of contracts.  Benning might simply not want to get in a dispute with them - not worth it for a 13th F.   Agents also influence their clients in free agency.

Didn't hear the segment but some have posted that Dhaliwal says it's Benning that wants to keep Eriksson while Green would prefer him in Utica.  

15 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

That’s a factor I have never considered. Good point!

I agree, it is an interesting dimension to the business that I hadn't considered also.

Dahlen was also represented by JP Barry at the time that he was here. If JP Barry and Benning have an established relationship, I think that speaks to how immature Dahlen was. In other words, Dahlen was the problem and he was subsequently shipped out with no impact on this above relationship.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

The more apt comparison from Buffalo would be Moulson.  The Sabres dropped him like a greasy potato and then loaned him out to a different NHL team's AHL club for almost 3 seasons.

They wanted him out of the organization.

I was watching an AHL game on the Internet, and saw Moulson out there.  He's a star in that league, or appeared to be.  I just wonder if LE would ride busses and suffer the embarrassment back home for completing his career as an AHL player?  I think it's different for Swedes.  We had an old Matts Sundin, who chose to retire (giving up 10 million) just because he wasn't playing to the level he expected of himself.  It was like he didn't want to damage his legacy back home for the sake of money.  LE would only be giving up 3/4 million, and having to play in the AHL, while damaging his legacy.  He already last summer was question by the Swedish press about his lack of production, and he defended his honor (legacy) by saying it was how he was being deployed by the coach.  I see him making that gentleman's agreement with Aquilini to protect his legacy as an NHL player, and then retire after his July 2020 bonus.  Then both sides win.  LE gets almost all of his 36 million, and keeps his honor in tact back home, and we clear 6 million in cap for the 2020/2021 season.  Makes total sense, and IMO that is what will happen.  

• Upvote 3