The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van & Nash(Proposal-discussion)

NOT a hard-sell. Pls don't treat it as such. I don't know enough about the young guy, nor how the other one is playing(haven't seen him this yr). I know Poile is a solid GM, but I think he's made a few blunders too.

question: Do Nashville fancy themselves contenders? They don't seem to be cruising along, this yr. A minor blip..or sign of things to come? I bet there will be some differing opinion here, on the Preds coming fortunes.

I'll just post this now. Have a bigger deal(maybe include Demko/Soros?), but will just start with this shorty, as I have to head out the door for a bit, this morn.

Van: Stecher, LouiE the lump

Nash: Fabbro, Turris(they retain 1 mill, for remaining 5 yrs)

***is this realistic?***                   We all wanna dump you know who. Apparently they've been sitting KT lately. Both guys are local kids too.

• Upvote 1

Not sure what the Canucks do with Turris.  5 more years at $6M and the 30 year olds production is already tailing off.  Is he just a poor fit in Nashville or is it worse?  What does he become, the 3C?  What of Gaudette or Sutter?  Do they really want another white elephant?

Fabbro is pretty highly regarded I think.  He played college and wore an A with the Canadian Juniors last year.  This is his first full year in the NHL.  I doubt Nash would be willing to give him up.  The right hander would be a nice piece for the Canucks but at what cost?

30 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Not sure what the Canucks do with Turris.  5 more years at $6M and the 30 year olds production is already tailing off.  Is he just a poor fit in Nashville or is it worse?  What does he become, the 3C?  What of Gaudette or Sutter?  Do they really want another white elephant?

Fabbro is pretty highly regarded I think.  He played college and wore an A with the Canadian Juniors last year.  This is his first full year in the NHL.  I doubt Nash would be willing to give him up.  The right hander would be a nice piece for the Canucks but at what cost?

Wouldn't consider the deal, unless they retained a chunk of that cap hit. Move Sutter(perhaps) at draft..retain if necc. Gaudette would mostly be a winger.

Fabbro would cover Tanev's slot, next season. Again freeing up lots of cap space.

12 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Wouldn't consider the deal, unless they retained a chunk of that cap hit. Move Sutter(perhaps) at draft..retain if necc. Gaudette would mostly be a winger.

Fabbro would cover Tanev's slot, next season. Again freeing up lots of cap space.

Nashville wants to win sooner than later and this cripples their cap.   Fabbro is still on his ELC.  Turris can at least still play.  He's also a 2M buyout at worse.

Edited by mll

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Makes even less sense for Nashville now that you bring up cap.  Fabbro is still on his ELC.  Nashville wants to win sooner than later and this cripples their cap.  Turris can at least still play.  He's also a 2M buyout at worse.

That's right, Turris' contract is as simple as it gets.  No clauses, no bonuses.

Nashville are conpretenders, & David Poile knows it. Picked up the Duch-curse, & now has to rearrange roster. Dump Subban & Turris?..Not bad, there's $14,000,000 of rotten cabbage, he can replant. Rinne has jumped the shark too, so we include Demko for Soros.(AFTER re-signing Jacob to a good number)

Van: LouiE, Stecher, Demko  ..about 9.4 mill

Nash: Turris(retain 1 mill x 5 yrs), Fabbro, Soros  ..7.5 mill

Next summer Craig Smith & Granny contracts expire, there's another $10,000,000 cap space. They could suffer through one yr of LouiE, or buy him out pronto..doesn't really matter. They put their eggs in the RyJo, Duch basket, necessitating a deal like this. Once Rinne & Bonino are off books in 2 yrs, about $ 30,000,000 is open to completely restructure team composition.

IF they wait & miss PO's with this overpaid roster, they're hooped far worse. As a GM, you gotta act preemptively, after a few recent moves have backfired.

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Nashville are conpretenders, & David Poile knows it. Picked up the Duch-curse, & now has to rearrange roster. Dump Subban & Turris?..Not bad, there's $14,000,000 of rotten cabbage, he can replant. Rinne has jumped the shark too, so we include Demko for Soros.(AFTER re-signing Jacob to a good number)

Van: LouiE, Stecher, Demko  ..about 9.4 mill

Nash: Turris(retain 1 mill x 5 yrs), Fabbro, Soros  ..7.5 mill

Next summer Craig Smith & Granny contracts expire, there's another $10,000,000 cap space. They could suffer through one yr of LouiE, or buy him out pronto..doesn't really matter. They put their eggs in the RyJo, Duch basket, necessitating a deal like this. Once Rinne & Bonino are off books in 2 yrs, about $ 30,000,000 is open to completely restructure team composition.

IF they wait & miss PO's with this overpaid roster, they're hooped far worse. As a GM, you gotta act preemptively, after a few recent moves have backfired.

vs Turris buyout 2M and no Eriksson anchor and keeping their top-4 intact and cap flexibility.  

Fabbro is already a top-4 D.  Just look at how Vigneault treated both at the Worlds - Stecher went from top-4 to D7 while Fabbro's usage went the other way.  

Nashville is currently sitting a 3M cap space.  While Josi gets a significantly big raise next year, Fabbro will have one more year at ELC, while Stetcher is already making 2.35 and in need of a raise.  So capwise, they are better off keeping Turris and Fabbro, especially if they need to retain on Turris.

On 11/24/2019 at 5:56 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

NOT a hard-sell. Pls don't treat it as such. I don't know enough about the young guy, nor how the other one is playing(haven't seen him this yr). I know Poile is a solid GM, but I think he's made a few blunders too.

question: Do Nashville fancy themselves contenders? They don't seem to be cruising along, this yr. A minor blip..or sign of things to come? I bet there will be some differing opinion here, on the Preds coming fortunes.

I'll just post this now. Have a bigger deal(maybe include Demko/Soros?), but will just start with this shorty, as I have to head out the door for a bit, this morn.

Van: Stecher, LouiE the lump

Nash: Fabbro, Turris(they retain 1 mill, for remaining 5 yrs)

***is this realistic?***                   We all wanna dump you know who. Apparently they've been sitting KT lately. Both guys are local kids too.

This is like trading 2 bags of garbage for 5 bags of garbage. Why would the Canucks want Turris who has 5 years left and can’t get into the lineup on a struggling Predators team when we will be done with Ericksson in 2 years or the Canucks can buy him out next season or trade him with a prospect or two to Arizona.

34 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

This is like trading 2 bags of garbage for 5 bags of garbage. Why would the Canucks want Turris who has 5 years left and can’t get into the lineup on a struggling Predators team when we will be done with Ericksson in 2 years or the Canucks can buy him out next season or trade him with a prospect or two to Arizona.

It's a fair question. Also interesting 1 or 2 posters suggested Nash laughs at this, whereas you state it's poor from Van's end. So obviously one of these conflicting opinions is off the mark. I made a 2nd proposal(including 'tenders) further down the page, as well. I'd assume this looks even worse, from your pov?

55 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's a fair question. Also interesting 1 or 2 posters suggested Nash laughs at this, whereas you state it's poor from Van's end. So obviously one of these conflicting opinions is off the mark. I made a 2nd proposal(including 'tenders) further down the page, as well. I'd assume this looks even worse, from your pov?

I just don’t like trading Demko for Soros as Soros really hasn’t played and we don’t know what kind of goalie he is while we know Demko is good and only getting better as the season goes on and he has the type of mindset you need in a starter where he doesn’t get to high after a win or too low after a loss plus trading a good goalie in conference you have to play like 4 times a year and most likely meet in the playoffs in the future is just not a great idea in my opinion as he seems like the type of player that would make Canuck fans regret this trade.

Edited by IjustNEEDaTROYgamble

8 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

I just don’t like trading Demko for Soros as Soros really hasn’t played and we don’t know what kind of goalie he is while we know Demko is good and only getting better with the type of mindset you need in a starter where he doesn’t get to high after a win or too low after a loss plus trading a good goalie in conference you have to play like 4 times a year and most likely meet in the playoffs in the future. 

The real prize would be Fabbro, as Nash D-prospects are usually worth something. Saros would just be balancing cap, & enabling Mikey D to get another 15 mos of starter's sched in the AHL.

Both Fabbro & Demko are then protected(by respective teams) at ED.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The real prize would be Fabbro, as Nash D-prospects are usually worth something. Saros would just be balancing cap, & enabling Mikey D to get another 15 mos of starter's sched in the AHL.

Both Fabbro & Demko are then protected(by respective teams) at ED.

If Tryamkin comes back then this move would be redundant and defense is not the Canucks biggest concern right now, finding a fast, feisty winger to play with Captain Bo and Ferland is the top priority and in the expansion draft the Canucks brass would let Seattle take Markstrom over Demko with DiPietro not counting yet I believe because he hasn’t played enough or isn’t old enough to need to be protected if they follow the same rules as the Vegas expansion draft. I just think the Canucks would be giving up a future all star goalie to get something they already have 4 or 5 of and hasn’t shown the type of promise Demko is. I would not trade Demko, Podkolzn, Hoglander, Rathbone or Madden from the Canucks prospect pool unless someone grossly overpays. 

1 hour ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Yeah.pretty reasonable view, & probably it's more likely they lean this direction. I was visualizing they dump a few more fwd contracts(other moves), but that might prove difficult this yr. Doesn't seem many 2 mill+ contracts are being moved. Lots of teams tight to the cap.

Another matter is I keep hearing economic people forecasting a big financial downturn in the cards. I wonder if many owner types are more interested in dumping big contracts(like Subban to Devs), instead of taking them on?

54 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

If Tryamkin comes back then this move would be redundant and defense is not the Canucks biggest concern right now, finding a fast, feisty winger to play with Captain Bo and Ferland is the top priority and in the expansion draft the Canucks brass would let Seattle take Markstrom over Demko with DiPietro not counting yet I believe because he hasn’t played enough or isn’t old enough to need to be protected if they follow the same rules as the Vegas expansion draft. I just think the Canucks would be giving up a future all star goalie to get something they already have 4 or 5 of and hasn’t shown the type of promise Demko is. I would not trade Demko, Podkolzn, Hoglander, Rathbone or Madden from the Canucks prospect pool unless someone grossly overpays. 

sorry, meant to reply to last post^

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah.pretty reasonable view, & probably it's more likely they lean this direction. I was visualizing they dump a few more fwd contracts(other moves), but that might prove difficult this yr. Doesn't seem many 2 mill+ contracts are being moved. Lots of teams tight to the cap.

Another matter is I keep hearing economic people forecasting a big financial downturn in the cards. I wonder if many owner types are more interested in dumping big contracts(like Subban to Devs), instead of taking them on?

sorry, meant to reply to last post^

I think the Canucks can move 1-2 forward contracts near the trade deadline as teams would look for playoff depth or to replace injuries on the cheap. Just pray for a rash of forward injuries lol 

• Upvote 1