The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

Former NHLer Akim Aliu has accused Calgary Flames head coach Bill Peters of directing racial slurs at him 10 years ago while with the AHL's Rockford Ice Hogs.

Aliu, who was born in Nigeria, tweeted Monday that Peters used the N-word several times toward him in the dressing room during Aliu's rookie season because the coach didn't like his choice of music.

Aliu added that Peters, then the head coach of the Chicago Blackhawks' AHL affiliate, wrote a letter to Blackhawks president and CEO John McDonough and general manager Stan Bowman to have Aliu sent down to the ECHL after he "rebelled against" Peters.

Flames general manager Brad Treliving said the team is aware of the accusations but won't comment on them until talking to Peters, according to Postmedia's Wes Gilbertson. Peters was not made available to the media following Calgary's loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday.

Aliu, a second-round pick of the Blackhawks in 2007, logged seven games in his NHL career - all with the Flames from 2011-2013, well before Peters joined the organization.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1890032

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

I've been around a long time and sometimes the idiocy of this place still surprises me. 

Just to set the record straight, there is no room in this world for racism but the guy should have done something awhile ago if he was really hurt, not when it’s convenient for the spotlight.

Here is a juicy story about a coach and player that went on for years.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/brent-sopel-marc-crawford-canucks-coach

Sopel replied:

“He kicked me, he choked me, he grabbed the back of my jersey and pulled me back. He attacked guys personally.

Edited by #Canucks
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Duodenum said:

What does that even mean, convenient for the spotlight? He's not about to get rich and inducted into the HHOF for bringing this to light. 

You can't think of a reason a player may not want to say anything while they are still playing?

No but looking at his career it was so short he had more than enough time to bring it up.

Do you think he would have brought it up any other time? Or just now because it’s convenient?

Edited by #Canucks

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Maybe it's because you don't throw your team under the bus, especially a goalie who needs confidence.  Peters is an absolute dirtbag and I love seeing his joke of a hockey team fail.  There is a reason Carolina improved dramatically after firing this loser.

still a better coach than ours

• Wat 4

26 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Again why is he bringing this issue up know not when it happened. Dude was a plug who could not make it in the NHL and now is seeking attention to be relevant again.

Why does it matter if he was a plug, those comments from Peter’s were completely out of line and unnecessary. Also if by plug you mean 20 year old rookie on pace for 20 goals then yes, plug. 

Seriously, stupid take on this...

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

Just to set the record straight, there is no room in this world for racism but the guy should have done something awhile ago if he was really hurt, not when it’s convenient for the spotlight.

Here is a juicy story about a coach and player that went on for years.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/brent-sopel-marc-crawford-canucks-coach

Sopel replied:

“He kicked me, he choked me, he grabbed the back of my jersey and pulled me back. He attacked guys personally.

Yeah Crawford was a spineless piece of crap too, don't know why people like the guy. I could fluke an Avs team full of All Stars to a cup too. 

• Upvote 2