The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

When asked why he waited nearly 10 years to step forward, Aliu pointed to former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick as a reason to stay quiet.

“This isn’t me being bitter. I sat on this a really, really long time. It broke my heart, I think it made my career go downhill before it started,” Aliu said. “This isn’t to the degree of Kaepernick by any means, but if you play the race card, it’s most likely the end of your career.”

https://www.tsn.ca/akim-aliu-speaks-publicly-on-allegations-against-calgary-flames-head-coach-bill-peters-1.1403974

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this isn't a case where an online mob tries to drown out the other side of some issue or some public figure is being boycotted based on a quick judgment. This is a corroborated racial slur incident that requires a response of some kind. 

I mean, that kinda happened anyways. The only difference was the story was corroborated eventually. Didn't stop anybody from raging on twitter about it last night.

I suppose what I meant was, cancel culture has created this environment where anybody can go on twitter and open up about these sorts of things, and actually have a chance to be heard.

It's quite the double edged sword.

For all those dogging on Akim. 

Ask yourself why Marner didn't bother to report the BS that went down with Babcock? I think we can all assume the stuff Babcock did has been proven true now?

Now think about the timing of the Babcock incident with respect to Marner's career and the incident with Peters with respect to Akim's career. Similar, no?

Now think about where Akim's career is at now. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Akim probably drummed up the courage to talk about this because, unfortunately, he probably thinks his career has pretty much come to a standstill, and felt obligated to speak up because of Peters' connection to Babcock. 

This isn't cancel culture people. Give your heads a shake. 

Drummed up the courage? When someone is racist towards you, the courage comes out at that time more than anything because of the anger that is coursing through your body not ten years later. And why is Babcock even dragged into this. He was a jerk of a coach not a racist.

5 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

10 YEARS AGO!  Pretty sure the N word has been a no go for way way longer than that.  We're not talking about 1950 vs 2019....it's 2009 vs 2019.  

In 2011, Philadelphia forward Wayne Simmonds had a banana thrown at him during a preseason game in London, Ontario.

In 2012, then-Washington forward Joel Ward was the subject of racist social media posts after he scored a game-winning playoff goal.

In 2014, then-Montreal defenseman P.K. Subban was the subject of racist social media posts after he scored a game-winning playoff goal.

Good examples of things that happened and got dealt with within the same time frame. Not something that was revisited ten years aftern the fact. The league has gotten better on this over the years that that is because when things like tahat happened, Simmonds, Ward and Subban said something about it at the time. Not wait ten years.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, smokes said:

Drummed up the courage? When someone is racist towards you, the courage comes out at that time more than anything because of the anger that is coursing through your body not ten years later. And why is Babcock even dragged into this. He was a jerk of a coach not a racist.

Good examples of things that happened and got dealt with within the same time frame. Not something that was revisited ten years aftern the fact. The league has gotten better on this over the years that that is because when things like tahat happened, Simmonds, Ward and Subban said something about it at the time. Not wait ten years.

Well of course they got dealt with right away, they were out in the open for everyone to see. It's not that they said anything about them, everybody could see them happening because they were out in the open. Those situations are completely different from this one.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, smokes said:

And very ignorant of how people live over here.

So to prove  just how much freedom the people of China have, I offer a challenge.

Please go to the Hong Kong thread and post a 100 word  short story on why China is in the wrong and how you believe the communist government should be overthrown.

Get back to me if your government ever lets you touch a computer or even a pencil ever again.

Edited by gurn
Spelling- thanks Monty. :)

1 minute ago, Ur a Towel said:

Well of course they got dealt with right away, they were out in the open for everyone to see. It's not that they said anything about them, everybody could see them happening because they were out in the open. Those situations are completely different from this one.

My point is if Peters was still the person he was ten years ago then there would be more people talking about things happening recently but no one said anything about him for the last ten years so maybe he changed and why judge him as a man now for something said ten years ago?

13 hours ago, Unknown1995 said:

Context: Bill Peter's flames team is struggling. There is talk he might get fired. Flames GM makes a public statement defending Peters saying he is confident in him as coach. 

Today: Accusations come up that Peters made a racial slur 10 years ago. 

I totally agree with the earlier poster.

There is no room for racism in this world but Ailu should have brought this up earlier. 

What about the guy’s friggin’ teammates?  For sure one of the captains should have stood up to Peters.  Do the AHL coaches have so much control over a guy’s hockey career that players don’t stand up to a racist idiot, who is attacking your teammate?  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

So to prove  just how much freedom the people of China have, I offer a challenge.

Please go to the Honk Kong thread and post a 100 word  short story on why China is in the wrong and how you believe the communist government should be overthrown.

Get back to me if your government ever lets you touch a computer or even a pencil ever again.

My government? My government? I'm Canadian. I pay taxes in Canada. I live here but from Canada just like a lot of other Canadian collegues I have. What is wrong with you man?

1 minute ago, smokes said:

My government? My government? I'm Canadian. I pay taxes in Canada. I live here but from Canada just like a lot of other Canadian collegues I have. What is wrong with you man?

Ok, so the challenge becomes, go to the Hong Kong thread, say bad but truthful things about the Chinese government and see how long they let a non citizen either stay in their country or how long you end up in jail.

The gist is people can get in big trouble for talking truth to power.

5 minutes ago, smokes said:

My point is if Peters was still the person he was ten years ago then there would be more people talking about things happening recently but no one said anything about him for the last ten years so maybe he changed and why judge him as a man now for something said ten years ago?

This might not be the last person to come out with something. This came out because it was linked to the Babcock situation. I don't think this is the last we hear about Peters, Babock or even other coaches.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Ok, so the challenge becomes, go to the Hong Kong thread, say bad but truthful things about the Chinese government and see how long they let a non citizen either stay in their country or how long you end up in jail.

The gist is people can get in big trouble for talking truth to power.

Why am I insulting someone's house for which I am a guest in?

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns