The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

I think it has more to do about finding out the details about the closed door meeting between Aliu and Peters. There was likely more said during that meeting than simply, 

Now, I’m not saying Peters did or did not apologize. However, I doubt the meeting started and stopped with these two, short sentences. Was it really an 8 second conversation, or was more actually said? The Flames are likely trying to find out those details. Especially because, like Aliu stated, if Peters only apologized, he wouldn’t have brought this up. It’s possible Peters did apologize, it may not have been sincere, it may have been too quick to hear. Who knows right now. But that’s likely what they are trying to find out.

There's way more to it than just playing music and being called a slur.

Aliu says he was on pace for 20 goals (AHL) with no power play time as a first year pro and as a result of this Peters called Stan Bowman and had Aliu buried in the ECHL.

That's an abuse of power.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

There's way more to it than just playing music and being called a slur.

Aliu says he was on pace for 20 goals (AHL) with no power play time as a first year pro and as a result of this Peters called Stan Bowman and had Aliu buried in the ECHL.

That's an abuse of power.

There’s this as well, yeah. 

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I guess someone is afraid of speaking out because he might get kicked out forever.

I mean.... if you really cant make this connection, I don't know...

It's called manners not fear. If I fear so much, I would be home right now.

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Lol. Talk about propaganda. Being allowed to leave is a very meek definition of free. 

I have to wonder if all the people upset that people are being called to the carpet for things they said ten years ago are just people that have a history of saying racist $&!# and want to deter the people they know from mentioning it again. 

Or it could be because growing up in Vancouver and being called racist names all the time in my childhood made me develop a tougher skin.

• Upvote 1

Imo nazi or being called a racist is the absolute worst things to be called as a white person. 

With that being said the n word or any other racial slurs towards other races are worst. White people are historically responsible for the a large amount of wars, poverty and power hunger. 

White people have done lots of great things but lots of bad things to. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

If you come from a people of color you wouldn't even be asking this question. Every person of color has had to deal with overt racism and even more prevalent, subtle less apparent racial prejudices at some point or in most cases a number of times in their life.  I being one.  I have many examples.  It is still a systemic problem in our current society now... And this example (Peters) is one of many more that will continue to come to light going forward.  

The question of why we haven't heard about this Peters story before now is the exact reason that I just highlighted.  

I do come from a people of color and I have had to deal with my share of racism but I am not going to a victim to it. If someone comes at me with racism or ignorance I will fight back regardless of the consequences. But to go out in public and try to have the guys livelihood destroyed through this cancel culture? I am sure this guy must have more than just Peter's hurl a racial slur at him. Why stop at Peter's? Why not name everyone? And while we are at it, we should have everyone of color come out and air their instances of racism. That way the court of public opinion can come down properly on everyone.

9 minutes ago, smokes said:

I do come from a people of color and I have had to deal with my share of racism but I am not going to a victim to it. If someone comes at me with racism or ignorance I will fight back regardless of the consequences. But to go out in public and try to have the guys livelihood destroyed through this cancel culture? I am sure this guy must have more than just Peter's hurl a racial slur at him. Why stop at Peter's? Why not name everyone? And while we are at it, we should have everyone of color come out and air their instances of racism. That way the court of public opinion can come down properly on everyone.

Because Peter's was in a position of power over aliu's career, that's why 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It really wasn't that long ago, tho. Certainly not so long ago to not know using that term isn't appropriate. Aliu was also playing in different pro leagues up to last year, so he had reason to stay quiet given how people that speak up have been treated or could be treated. 

I think @bree2's point is that Peters may have changed in the last 10 years and regrets his actions and words, not that it was acceptable 10 years ago. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

IMO Peters should be held accountable and if he doesn't resign, the Flames should let him go.  

However, I do believe in redemption and if Peters can prove he has changed and shows it by his actions, I wouldn't held it against anybody for bringing him back in a few years.  I mean, even though Keefe was a teenager, he's a good example of redemption and I think his story can inspire a lot of people who have done shady stuff in the past.

I think you're bang on here. If Peter's is unapologetic, then he's completely toast. If he's changed and regrets what he's done, then it would be a nice sign that people can change and improve and I would be fine with him remaining in the NHL.

18 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Why does it matter if he was a plug, those comments from Peter’s were completely out of line and unnecessary. Also if by plug you mean 20 year old rookie on pace for 20 goals then yes, plug. 

Seriously, stupid take on this...

Happened 10 years ago so the accuracy of the recall is questionable at best - it has been well demonstrated that accuracy of memory deteriorates even after a few hours regardless of whether we think so or not. 

If he was directly calling Akim racial slurs than that is pretty bad, but seems unlikely.  But there is something ironic in that hip hop is well know for anti-gay and misogynistic themes.  Peters sicking of hearing comment in reference to anal sex is a pretty accurate characterization of some hip hop lyrics - you want some specific example - check out DMX - Where the hood at.  

Last week someone was playing that kind of hip hop at an event I was at and I saw people react the exact same way  - they were mocking the language used.  

I think you probably need to get the whole context before calling it out of line

Who knows perhaps Akima was listening to some clean hip hop.   

1 hour ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Yawn. #MeTooNHL

Bad things happen all the time. The longer you wait to do something about it, the less it seems like genuine “distress” and more like a sad attempt at vengeance, or worse. 

Not when you have corroborating witnesses and evidence to back up your accusations

• Cheers 1