The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

Just now, smokes said:

Just a difference in growing up. If someone said like that to me back in the day then I would have handled it with him man to man then just let it go. There are many people who have said racist things to me over the years that is wrong but as much as that is morally wrong. It is also morally wrong for me to try to ruin someone's life over it.

he says he did confront him about it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, smokes said:

Just a difference in growing up. If someone said like that to me back in the day then I would have handled it with him man to man then just let it go.

I hear you. I dealt with some jerkoffs calling me a little potato farmer when I was a kid. I ended up breaking one of their noses later on in life, and that seemed to quell the BS. I would never dream of airing it publicly afterwards, as it was between him and I

Just now, smokes said:

There are many people who have said racist things to me over the years that is wrong but as much as that is morally wrong. It is also morally wrong for me to try to ruin someone's life over it.

Totally agree. That's why the court of public opinion is so absolutely full of it. Plenty of people's livelihoods have been destroyed based solely on what one person said, without any single bit of proof being provided.

• Upvote 1

Just now, smokes said:

Then why bring it up ten years later? It's over why bring it up if you dealt with it? If we all did that, the internet would explode.

how was he supposed to 'deal with it'? it was a real experience, corroborated by team mates. He's allowed to talk about his life. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how was he supposed to 'deal with it'? it was a real experience, corroborated by team mates. He's allowed to talk about his life. 

He brought it up with the coach didn't he? He could have gone to the GM back then and had him fired then. Why ten years later?

Edited by smokes

1 minute ago, Ur a Towel said:

Deserved. It sounds like the allegations were proven true and confirmed by other teammates.

There's no need for this anywhere and I'm glad that they've gone ahead and dealt with this quickly

I'm a little surprised that they didn't try to get him to issue a statement, but you never know whats going on behind the scenes. Maybe he told the brass that he never said it and then the TSN story broke? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ruilin96 said:

Another question: does the Flames management already knew about these incidents when they initially hired him? If they do then this means they only fired him because these incidents have been made public.

I would hope not. I'm sure they heard rumors about Peters, but I'm not sure if they knew the full extent of it.
Much like with Toronto and Babcock I would think, but it's hard to say since we don't usually ever hear about anything that happens behind closed doors

Just now, Tre Mac said:

Is this due to the allegations or the allegations that this team sucks monkey nuts?  

Imho, that's going to be a key thing in their press release. If they say it's because of the racist language, then some questions that would be asked are: did they give him a chance to apologize for saying racist things years ago? if not, then are they now going to be applying that same rule to everyone in the organization? If it's under-performance, then I guess it's a moot point whether they were going to fire him for the racist language and maybe we'll never find out what the Flames' standards are for cases like this.

• Cheers 1