The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, smokes said:

He brought it up with the coach didn't he? He could have gone to the GM back then and had him fired then. Why ten years later?

are you kidding? Peters wrote a letter to the GM to get the kid sent to the E. He had no power in it at all. 

Why should Peters not be held accountable? 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm a little surprised that they didn't try to get him to issue a statement, but you never know whats going on behind the scenes. Maybe he told the brass that he never said it and then the TSN story broke? 

Yeah I'm hoping that we eventually get to hear his side of this. I'm sure Calgary will release a statement soon about this though which may include something

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ur a Towel said:

I would hope not. I'm sure they heard rumors about Peters, but I'm not sure if they knew the full extent of it.
Much like with Toronto and Babcock I would think, but it's hard to say since we don't usually ever hear about anything that happens behind closed doors

The Aliu incident also happened in the Blackhawks organization, and it appears they had no idea either.

Glad to see the Flames take action quickly though.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I was sitting on the fence before this as I don't like present day's trend of 'trial by social media' (generally without any evidence) but if this is true, it's pretty damning.

but didn't Akim  say that Peters wrote to  the Blackhawks  Assoc and get him sent down, and yet Blackhawks have no recollection on it. and how did Akim know about this?  sorry just because 3 guys said they heard it, doesn't make it true yet!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, xereau said:

v7ybfff.jpg

I know you’re just being cheeky, because hating on the Flames is what CDC does. But this is not a “Calgary Flames” problem, this is a “Bill Peters” problem. The coaches, the players, and the fans of the Flames are not culpable, here.

• Upvote 3

Not sure if the firing is confirmed yet. The times we live in. Should a man lose his livelihood on words uttered 10 years ago, with a different organization? That's to be debated. Where is the line now? Ultimately Peters represents the franchise and this is a bad stain that will ultimately cost Peters his job if the allegations are true.

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Will Calgary get in trouble for pre maturely firing peters if there are no witnesses?

An indefinite suspension untill the issue was properly investigated seems more fair. I bet Peters said that stuff but if he didn't man that would be a real injustice.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

are you kidding? Peters wrote a letter to the GM to get the kid sent to the E. He had no power in it at all. 

Why should Peters not be held accountable? 

is that even true? how does Akim come to know that  a letter was written?. we have only heard one side.