The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to give Goldy a chance with Petey again?

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

4 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I disagree.

We get too many too much man penalties. That's a coaching problem, though it seems recently rectified.

That line change tonight when they pulled Demmer, that's a coaching issue.

Leivo being given too big of a role, coaching issue.

Lack of scoring most likely leads back to the system being played... Coaching staff.

I am not Pro-hire-Babs either.

Gosh darn Green why’d they hire him in the first place anyways. I want Willie D back. Nah actually Bill Murray. I think he’d be good

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I disagree.

We get too many too much man penalties. That's a coaching problem, though it seems recently rectified.

That line change tonight when they pulled Demmer, that's a coaching issue.

Leivo being given too big of a role, coaching issue.

Lack of scoring most likely leads back to the system being played... Coaching staff.

I am not Pro-hire-Babs either.

Coach can't make guys come off the ice at a poor time that's on the players. 

Too many men calls are both player and coaches responsibility.  

The players need to be accountable for their part in poor line changes too. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

We all know what Green said after training camp... 'I've decided to go in a different direction'.

But unfortunately reality has intervened and the team is struggling to generate shots or chances at even strength with only eight 5 on 5 goals in the last 11 games.

Meanwhile, Goldobin, who had undeniable chemistry with Pettersson last year, (Pettersson's most productive spell during the 2018/2019 season was with Goldy) is tearing up the AHL, leading Utica in scoring with 8 goals/20 pts in 18 games.  His linemate Reid Boucher is feasting with Goldy as a winger, with 13 goals in 18 games... one of his best ever starts.

Green is happy to bring up 4th line grinders like Graovac and MacEwen, but at the same time as everyone is saying how the team needs a top six winger, Goldy is applying his talents to making Boucher look good.

You gotta ask yourself... why not Goldy?

What is there to lose?  Team goes on a long roadtrip out East, its closeby to Utica... maybe give Goldy a chance to redeem himself?

But it looks like Green is disinclined to change his mind... my bet is Goldy will continue to ride the bus in Utica.

Green can't be wrong.

The same league that Michael Chaput lit up a couple years ago?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

The way the team is setup and how Green wants to play is just not a fit for Goldobin.  Skilled guys need to be around the puck and won't do well playing irregular shifts and getting benched although playing well.  See with Baertschi  - Green has benched him in games were he was saying Baertschi was playing well.  That saps confidence and for skilled players confidence is everything.  They end up playing to not make a mistake instead of trying to create.

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

But Goldy has skillz... lol 

Lol. Im sure he does , and i hope he figures out what those skillz are before his appointment at work BC. It will save him allot of time.

I mus admit it does take skill to miss the net that often. You would think he would hit it just by chance once in a while . Its actually a miracle to watch.

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

The way the team is setup and how Green wants to play is just not a fit for Goldobin.  Skilled guys need to be around the puck and won't do well playing irregular shifts and getting benched although playing well.  See with Baertschi  - Green has benched him in games were he was saying Baertschi was playing well.  That saps confidence and for skilled players confidence is everything.  They end up playing to not make a mistake instead of trying to create.

That and Goldobin finished the year not producing with Pettersson 

• Upvote 1

When healthy i would try that :

Ferland Horvat Boeser

Goldobin Pettersson Miller

Roussel Sutter Gaudette

Motte Beagle Virtanen

Leivo Baertschi AHL

Pearson Eriksson OUT

I break the Boeser-Pete combo on purpose.

A Line with Goldobin-Pettersson-Boeser would have been way too soft ; and Boeser and Horvat had a good chemistry before Pete’s arrival.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Lol. Im sure he does , and i hope he figures out what those skillz are before his appointment at work BC. It will save him allot of time.

I mus admit it does take skill to miss the net that often. You would think he would hit it just by chance once in a while . Its actually a miracle to watch.

image.thumb.png.f5e6804b364ad8ac40d43ef2ce77c36b.png

How long would it take him to complete this challenge? And how close would he have to get?

Edited by nuckin_futz

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The problem is not the 4th liners... its the missing top six winger.

Canucks do not have someone who works in that position.

That is why it is worthwhile to give Goldy a try... he only works as a top sixer.

Canucks were playing their best hockey when all 4 lines were firing. Loosing Motte was an unexpectedly large blow to the team as that 4th line provided a ton of spark. With Beagle and Sutter down the team has struggled even more. I entirely disagree with your assessment on the bottom 6 guys not being the problem. When our bottom 6 was producing, we were winning.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Lol why? Goldobin is a tweener at best. Trade him while he’s lighting up the AHL and still worth anything... 

Agree, and to put things in perspective Goldy might have 20 pts in 18 games....but Derrick Pouliot also has 18pts in 20 games.   Should we trade back for him and call him up?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I've been disappointed with our call-ups thus far. Baer has managed to play himself off this team twice. MacEwen needs seasoning, he doesn't look close to an NHL player. Graovac is ok, but that bar was low to begin with. 

That being said, why not try Goldy? Give him maybe 2 games until Roussel/Ferland/Sutter/Beagle (all practicing) are ready. I don't know if I'd stick him on Petey's line right away but definitely a top 6 go. The apparent trade-off in defensive ability is non-existent when MacEwen can't clear a puck. 

Agreed call ups not showing any hunger, urgency like they want to stay? Probably scared to make a mistake

Goldy? With Petey ? Soft line, will get man handled. 

Trade Goldy NOw, if there is interest

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The problem is not the 4th liners... its the missing top six winger.

Canucks do not have someone who works in that position.

That is why it is worthwhile to give Goldy a try... he only works as a top sixer.

Miller - Petey - Goldobin

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Could be interesting

But I don't see a lack of skill as the current issue, I see a lack of hustle, determination and desire to win the little battles as the reason we're losing. The dump and chase works when the forcheck is in hard but if that's not there the offensive system falls apart

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I've been disappointed with our call-ups thus far. Baer has managed to play himself off this team twice. MacEwen needs seasoning, he doesn't look close to an NHL player. Graovac is ok, but that bar was low to begin with. 

That being said, why not try Goldy? Give him maybe 2 games until Roussel/Ferland/Sutter/Beagle (all practicing) are ready. I don't know if I'd stick him on Petey's line right away but definitely a top 6 go. The apparent trade-off in defensive ability is non-existent when MacEwen can't clear a puck. 

I was quite disappointed with Baer and MacEwen.

I have not watched MacEwen in Utica but the posters here were raving about him about how he is exactly the physical presence that we need... for a big guy, he doesn't use his body much, doesn't bring meanness that is lacking on this team, and he seems to be a step behind the play. Considering that he played on Horvat's line, MacEwen's job was to play in a straight line, go hit some bodies, crash the net... It was disappointing. At age 23, how much seasoning does he need? Looked like a career minor leaguer to me. I thought Graovac was more noticeable than MacEwen.

I think Baer lost motivation to play for Canucks. And I don't think there is a spot for him on the roster anymore. 

I think we should give Goldy a try. Replace Pearson/Leivo on the 1st line. Put Miller, Horvat, and Pearson together as a line.  

Goldy-EP-Boeser

Miller-Horvat-Pearson

Virtanen-Gaudette-Leivo

Schaller-Graovac-Eriksson