The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to give Goldy a chance with Petey again?

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

8 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Nope. Goldy was given a VERY long leash and he has not proven that he belongs in the NHL. That’s not hate or anything, it’s just cold hard facts. 

This argument keeps resurfacing for some reason. Let it go; it likely isn’t going to happen, yo. 

Kind of similar to everyone who said Baertschi would solve our scoring woes. All I see is a whole lot of nothing. 

• Upvote 3

I hope he realizes this is probably his last chance. He might have 2-3 games to prove himself. Wouldn't it be awesome if he produced and played a responsible game. If Goldobin doesn't work out here (and that's my guess), I would like the Top 6 to eventually be:

Roussel - Pettersson - Boeser

Ferland - Horvat - Miller

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Lol why? Goldobin is a tweener at best. Trade him while he’s lighting up the AHL and still worth anything... 

not sure we can make that pronouncement. He looks like he has the tools to be an excellent playmaking winger. I don't want him with Petey and Brock, because they need Miller and there's a wealth of playmaking there already. I do want to see him with Bo's line during this, probably last, tryout with him. 

18 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

We all know what Green said after training camp... 'I've decided to go in a different direction'.

But unfortunately reality has intervened and the team is struggling to generate shots or chances at even strength with only eight 5 on 5 goals in the last 11 games.

Meanwhile, Goldobin, who had undeniable chemistry with Pettersson last year, (Pettersson's most productive spell during the 2018/2019 season was with Goldy) is tearing up the AHL, leading Utica in scoring with 8 goals/20 pts in 18 games.  His linemate Reid Boucher is feasting with Goldy as a winger, with 13 goals in 18 games... one of his best ever starts.

Green is happy to bring up 4th line grinders like Graovac and MacEwen, but at the same time as everyone is saying how the team needs a top six winger, Goldy is applying his talents to making Boucher look good.

You gotta ask yourself... why not Goldy?

What is there to lose?  Team goes on a long roadtrip out East, its closeby to Utica... maybe give Goldy a chance to redeem himself?

But it looks like Green is disinclined to change his mind... my bet is Goldy will continue to ride the bus in Utica.

Green can't be wrong.

BN just answered your title of this topic.

23 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure we can make that pronouncement. He looks like he has the tools to be an excellent playmaking winger. I don't want him with Petey and Brock, because they need Miller and there's a wealth of playmaking there already. I do want to see him with Bo's line during this, probably last, tryout with him. 

No we can, he has skill but can't seem to get over the hump. Just another in the long list of guys too good for the AHL not good enough for the NHL. 

19 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Green was worried with Christmas coming and family dinners, and how mad his Mom would be if Goldobin still hadn't been called up, so he told JB call him up now.

I'd confuse react this, but you'd get butthurt about it. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No we can, he has skill but can't seem to get over the hump. Just another in the long list of guys too good for the AHL not good enough for the NHL. 

well, lets give him one more go. The difference this year is he's hit 8 goals in about 1/2 the number of games in his previous AHL stints. That could be a sign he's matured in to NHL form. 

23 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

AHL is a fantastic hockey league....  So few top 6 NHL jobs available... So many fantastic skilled guys simply have to play in the AHL due to low number of top 6 NHL openings.....      Skilled guys in the AHL are very much just a smidgen lower that NHL guys....   

Sticking in the . show in a top 6 role is SUPER difficult to pull off...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

well, lets give him one more go. The difference this year is he's hit 8 goals in about 1/2 the number of games in his previous AHL stints. That could be a sign he's matured in to NHL form. 

I hope so but not holding my breath. 

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

AHL is a fantastic hockey league....  So few top 6 NHL jobs available... So many fantastic skilled guys simply have to play in the AHL due to low number of top 6 NHL openings.....      Skilled guys in the AHL are very much just a smidgen lower that NHL guys....   

Sticking in the . show in a top 6 role is SUPER difficult to pull off...

True.  How old is JT Miller, and he’s just figured it out?  Can’t teach the skills Goldy has.  If he does “figure it out” I sure hope he’s with us.  

• Upvote 1