-Vintage Canuck-

37 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If Sutter, Ferland and Beagle are all good to go, this could be the lineup:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Goldobin

Ferland - Sutter - Gaudette

Schaller - Beagle - Virtanen

Leivo

But................. what about Eriksson, Roussel and Motte??

• Upvote 1

Goldobin has played well in Utica, but I don't have a lot of optimism with him here. I guess we'll see how he's improved, I could be totally wrong and he could earn a Top 6 spot, playing a 200-foot game while producing. Could happen. My guess though, is that with Roussel, Sutter and Ferland almiost set to return, they want to give Goldy another chance, before there aren't any spots available. Seems they're giving a few guys in Utica a shot at the bigs: Gaudette, MacEwen, Graovac, Baertschi and now Goldobin. It's his turn. Good luck Goldy, hope you play well.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I want the kid so succeed SO badly! Does he also want it bad enough to get his nose dirty....?

if he can produce at over 0.5 pts per game and isn't a defensive liability I don't care what he gets dirty. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Virtanen#18 said:

But................. what about Eriksson, Roussel and Motte??

I can see Roussel slotting in for Schaller.  Motte and Schaller could be the extras if management goes ahead with demoting Eriksson.

The larger question marks in my mind are what happens if Goldobin sticks (like most of us want him to).  With everyone healthy, then there is basically no more room to just demote a player (unless the Canucks demote Gaudette given he is still exempt from waivers).

I can't see the Canucks trading Sutter.  Gaudette has been great but he's not a replacement for Sutter yet.  They have a different skill set but Sutter's face off ability and overall two-way play give coaching more confidence about sending him out in all situations.  I suppose the Canucks could play Beagle in more of that role if Sutter were to be traded, but having Sutter gives the Canucks way more depth at C.

If Sutter doesn't go and Goldobin sticks, then Gaudette has to bump someone off at wing since, I presume, the Canucks aren't just going to let him sit in the pressbox.  Leivo could be scratched but does he really deserve that?  Not sure.  He might not be producing a lot but he's been an excellent complimentary player for awhile now (if only for the way he wins puck battles).  Virtanen has not played poorly this year, but has the ship sailed for him with this management team?  Possibly.  The team always has the option of waiving Schaller or Motte and hoping they clear but they would presumably be extras most of the time on a fully healthy roster so, again, a regular will probably need to be moved.

In the short term, if Goldobin shows that he can stick it out in the NHL and as everyone start to get healthy, then I think management might just demote Gaudette to kick the can down the road.  I would like to think that they would demote Eriksson as well.  We're heading into Christmas so there might be a trade or two in the next couple weeks.  If anything happens, then I'll expect it to happen in the new year.

Of course, if Goldobin can't stick, then it makes management's life "easier".

• Like 1

Hope he plays and doesn’t just warm the press box.  And that he makes the most out of it.  The only chance he has of making this stick is putting up points and playing with more hustle then he did in the past (lazy shift changes hopefully is an area he’s figured out can’t happen - same with getting back to help).  

With Roussel and Ferland both on their way back soon this could be his only chance to prove he’s not a fringe player. The team needs a boost - his skill is undeniable - 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

The larger question marks in my mind are what happens if Goldobin sticks (like most of us want him to).  With everyone healthy, then there is basically no more room to just demote a player (unless the Canucks demote Gaudette given he is still exempt from waivers).

If the ideal happens and Goldy actually earns a spot AND everyone's healthy...IMO:

Miller/Pearson, Pettersson, Boeser

Miller/Pearson, Horvat, Goldobin

Roussel, Sutter, ____

____, Beagle, ____

____, ____

Gaudette/Motte/Virtanen/Ferland/Leivo to rotate on the five empty winger/spare slots depending on injury/opponent/performance/energy etc.

*Schaller and Eriksson both waived.

(That said, I'm doubtful that Goldy will have 'seen the light' on playing a more consistent and attacking style and it's equally unlikely we'll be completely healthy at any point either. Both/either should save Schaller from waivers but will likely see him rotating with the some of the others in and out of the press box).