The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Nikolay Goldobin, assign Sven Baertschi to Comets

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Sven was a bit snake bitten, he had some chances to score just didn't get the puck in the back of the net. 2pts in 6gp isn't horrible for a call up. Would've like to see him stay in the top 6 for his entire call up. It must take a bit of adjustment to go from AHL game speed to NHL game speed.

Also, MacEwen has done Ziltch yet he has been flanking Bo in recent games. 0pts in 3gp, it has to be noted if people are going to rag on Sven then it should happen to every player called up given decent ice time/ linemates.

Not sure what the Canucks were hoping from when icing Graovac, MacEwen and LE over players like Sven and Goldy when we had the 4 F injuries. We lacked secondary scoring, yet we chose to go with 4th line talent at best with size...players who don't know how to use their size...good luck ever being an NHL player if you are that size and can't run around like a bowling ball. Heck Virtanen needs to realize that, 4th line with 4F injured...where does that put him in a week or 2 when we have Sutter, Beagle, Ferland, Roussel and Motte back...

The reason why those guys are in over others is the lack of forecheck.

You'll notice in games the they win the forecheck is strong and fast, games that are lost its non existent. MacEwan was forechecking well and created the play that led to Miller's goal against Philly.

Sven wasn't doing much in the way of pressuring the opposition and his skill isn't better than other players that are in the lineup that play the same role so he didn't stick

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

We are so past that now.   He's now our new mascot.  Kind of like Weekend with Bernie. It wouldn't be the same now without dragging Louie with us from city to city.

Something is wrong.  What other team in the NHL would not give Boucher, such a sniper in the league just below the NHL, an extended time with the big club....even if he didn't click right away.  How many games in a row has he even had up here?  I really wish Boucher would get called up for ten games or so. Give the guy one last real shot.  You never know.

Lots of teams didn't give Boucher a shot. He was waived at the beginning of the season and there were no takers. He's been waived multiple times in the past and no takers.

Boucher's game is weird. He's really good in the AHL but when he comes up, he disappears or is ineffective. Another player like that was Archibald. Some players just don't have the speed to keep up with the game. Hopefully he addresses that sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If Sutter, Ferland and Beagle are all good to go, this could be the lineup:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Goldobin

Ferland - Sutter - Gaudette

Schaller - Beagle - Virtanen

Leivo

You forgot Roussel...

MILLER - PETTERSSON - BOESER

GOLDOBIN - HORVAT - VIRTANEN

FERLAND - SUTTER - PEARSON

SCHALLER - BEAGLE - ROUSSEL

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

You forgot Roussel...

MILLER - PETTERSSON - BOESER

GOLDOBIN - HORVAT - VIRTANEN

FERLAND - SUTTER - PEARSON

SCHALLER - BEAGLE - ROUSSEL

My lineup when everyone is healthy is on Page 3. The post that you quoted is what I was thinking what the lineup could be in a few days.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Lots of teams didn't give Boucher a shot. He was waived at the beginning of the season and there were no takers. He's been waived multiple times in the past and no takers.

Boucher's game is weird. He's really good in the AHL but when he comes up, he disappears or is ineffective. Another player like that was Archibald. Some players just don't have the speed to keep up with the game. Hopefully he addresses that sooner rather than later.

Yeah I remember I was rooting for Archibald.  He seemed to have everything it takes to be a steady fourth liner.

It just seems odd that the highest scorer, in the league just below the NHL, can't get a longer look. Maybe he just needs more time adjusting up here.

• Cheers 1

Sorry to burst a lot of guys bubble but Goldy is no trying out for the team. He is simply a place holder and he will be sent back down when our regulars are back. Like I have said in other posts, the only two Goldy and Baert replace is Boes and Petey and that ain't happening.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Sorry to burst a lot of guys bubble but Goldy is no trying out for the team. He is simply a place holder and he will be sent back down when our regulars are back. Like I have said in other posts, the only two Goldy and Baert replace is Boes and Petey and that ain't happening.

ya forsure....id rather have roussel , ferland and sutter over baer and goldy anyday....

the way goldy plays it hurts us more than helps us, but i kinda agree with ya, hes a placeholder till sutter and ferland are back and once roussel conditioning stint is over

1 hour ago, ahf149 said:

Problem with Goldy is that he lacks hockey IQ. He makes blind back hand passes. He would frustrate the hell out of Petterson. I am going to take a wild bet, this experiment wont last long

I disagree with that statement.  Goldy IMO has very high hockey IQ, but simply is a lazy lazy player who's work ethic doesn't allow him to showcase his highly skilled game and high hockey IQ.  He knows where to be and what to do with and without the puck, he just has zero commitment to do those things on a consistent basis.

Corey Hergott Comets informer even said that the beginning of the season Goldy was having issues with committing to playing the full game, but started to show more of it recently.  I highly doubt its enough to satisfy playing Green's game plan on a consistent shift to shift basis. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Wanless said:

The reason why those guys are in over others is the lack of forecheck.

You'll notice in games the they win the forecheck is strong and fast, games that are lost its non existent. MacEwan was forechecking well and created the play that led to Miller's goal against Philly.

Sven wasn't doing much in the way of pressuring the opposition and his skill isn't better than other players that are in the lineup that play the same role so he didn't stick

How did MacEwen not get an assist on that goal :o

2 hours ago, ahf149 said:

Problem with Goldy is that he lacks hockey IQ. He makes blind back hand passes. He would frustrate the hell out of Petterson. I am going to take a wild bet, this experiment wont last long

Pettersson and Goldobin showed some great chemistry in the past and apparently great friends off the ice too.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Sven was a bit snake bitten, he had some chances to score just didn't get the puck in the back of the net. 2pts in 6gp isn't horrible for a call up. Would've like to see him stay in the top 6 for his entire call up. It must take a bit of adjustment to go from AHL game speed to NHL game speed.

Also, MacEwen has done Ziltch yet he has been flanking Bo in recent games. 0pts in 3gp, it has to be noted if people are going to rag on Sven then it should happen to every player called up given decent ice time/ linemates.

Not sure what the Canucks were hoping from when icing Graovac, MacEwen and LE over players like Sven and Goldy when we had the 4 F injuries. We lacked secondary scoring, yet we chose to go with 4th line talent at best with size...players who don't know how to use their size...good luck ever being an NHL player if you are that size and can't run around like a bowling ball. Heck Virtanen needs to realize that, 4th line with 4F injured...where does that put him in a week or 2 when we have Sutter, Beagle, Ferland, Roussel and Motte back...

The majority of our injuries were to bottom 6 guys that play a gritty game. MacEwen and Graovac fit this model more. Graovac especially because we were/are out 2 centers, so he's surely in over the other guys. JB said this year they want to start calling up the prospect depth and playing them when injuries arose and did mention MacEwen specifically amongst others. Baertschi and Goldy are just guys that they didn't want to bury forever in Utica, so they're getting looks too and it's up to them to make it difficult to send back down. Sven didn't accomplish this.

MacEwen for the most part is inexperienced at the NHL level, so he gets a bit more slack compared to a guy like Sven who claims he's got the mindset that he's still an NHLer. MacEwen is likely to be sent back down when healthy bodies return.

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

He seems to be the modern day Jason Krog.  Some guys just kill it in the AHL and Crash Davis their way out of the NHL every time they get a sniff.

Still, it seems such a waste of good talent.  Rob Brown was an NHL All-Star (>100 points), then got sent down to the minors for YEARS, where he tore up the league year after year with over 100 points, then FINALLY, they brought him back up to the NHL years later for a second look and he was still pretty good.

Boucher has something.  I feel like there has to be a way to capitalize on it, but then again, seemed that way with Krog too.

• Upvote 1