The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on Sportsnet 650

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

This is a big year for the goaltenders.  Marky is showing that his strong play since mid-season last year is for real.  Demko has also shown that he is going to be very good as well.  Benning is going to have to make a tough decision and he has shown that final decisions don't get done until the last minute.  Like he says, this is a good problem for him to have.  What are the pressure points to make the decision?  Resigning Marky at the end of the season?  Demko has a year to go after that at $1.05M, so not really.  So 2 years from now he will have to pay Demko as well.  That is more likely decision time.  Of course there is the expansion draft in 2 years and he's not going to want to lose a quality player for nothing.

ED after next season..and he’s going to have to protect Demko almost certainly.  Maybe he thinks he can sign JM and they (Seattle) will pick him up most definitely and that will take care of him having to pay two goalies but I don’t think that’s a wise decision personally - think they will likely pick Holtby for their number one.  It’s far from a foregone conclusion that they’d pick JM.  My biggest worry is we sign JM long term with the hope he gets picked.   We’d either have to add like PIT did just to make sure he picked him or be over a barrel and trying to trade Demko who definitely looks like the goalie of our future.   It would be awesome to have them both long term but that’s a lot of money tied up for two goalies - and don’t know if we have the cap for it (certainly doesn’t look that way with both EP and Hughes also up next year).  Some guys will be off the books and we will have to find cheaper options for them...likely lesser ones at that unless our prospect pool can carry us somewhat.   I know JB says he wants to sign him (JM)....not convinced it’s the right move all things considered - glad he’s paid the big bucks to figure this one out and not me ha ha. 

• Upvote 1

Jim's comments on the trade market are interesting, we're probably looking at waivers as the only option to move guys in the next two weeks as guys get healthy. Which is fine, if Goldy e.g., starts lighting it up with Bo and can hold his own defensively I'd be fine with losing Leivo e.g. for the roster spot and bit of salary relief. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

wouldn’t be great if cdc showed that kind of respect to the team and individuals? 

Most certainly. But with forums, and people in general, folks are never always gonna be on the same page as a whole. Throw in frustration, personal investment, financial investment, ect and fandom is a tricky thing. 

3 hours ago, Industrious1 said:

I'm actually betting the Canucks would love to have Sven's salary claimed.

Not sure anything he is doing is worth the money he is making that we could allocate elsewhere.

That's a fair point. We've already got too many forwards when healthy. 

• Upvote 1

So smart to keep Markstrom around. And also to continue developing Demko. Having both of them means they have good goaltending every night, and both guys are getting adequate rest. There's still hope for Juolevi, it's not that he isn't a good player, he's had some Salo Luck with the injuries the last couple of years. If he gets healthy, he'll be a great addition to the D. I think Benning will continue to communicate with other GMs and maybe get a deal done to trade Baertschi, maybe Goldobin, and hopefully Eriksson. I don't dislike Eriksson, but in the words of Luongo: his contract sucks. Can't wait to get Sutter, Roussel and Ferland back in the lineup, see what this team can do. With all of the big injuries so far, the Canucks have played really well and hung in there (playoff/wildcard spot).

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jim's comments on the trade market are interesting, we're probably looking at waivers as the only option to move guys in the next two weeks as guys get healthy. Which is fine, if Goldy e.g., starts lighting it up with Bo and can hold his own defensively I'd be fine with losing Leivo e.g. for the roster spot and bit of salary relief. 

That is not how he really worded it. I believe he misunderstood the question and was replying to what to do with scoring help. He was not referring to how they plan to deal with cap related issues.

I did not like how JB made it sound like Markstrom is a proven number 1 goalie and that Demko still has a long ways to go. That to me tells me they plan to sign Markstrom to a new long term contract and expose Demko to Seattle which could be a colossal mistake. 

8 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

That is not how he really worded it. I believe he misunderstood the question and was replying to what to do with scoring help. He was not referring to how they plan to deal with cap related issues.

I'm looking at it from a trade potential pov, if the market is going to be quiet and no one's really looking to make changes then there's really only 1 option left

10 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I lost respect for Benning when he dealt McCann for Gudbranson. McCann is producing like a star right now he’s got one of the best plus minuses in the league and has like 15 points? 

Also giving eriksson and Tyler Myers six million each is ridiculous.

However he did draft Boeser, Petterson and Hughes, that has to be said here

And it evens it out.

i hope people realize this guy is out of a job probably if we don’t make the playoffs this year. You can say we’re third in our division, yeaaah but our division kind of sucks. I mean the oilers and coyotes as the top two teams, come on...two forwards on one team and the other has been to the playoffs like once in 20 yeArs.

were on pace for 38 wins, I don’t think a team had made the playoffs with that many wins in this new era playoff system but could be wrong.

i want a offensive defensemen who can actually hit the net. Waive Myers. Buy out Eriksson. 

Trade for Brandon montour, maybe give Buffalo sutter and a second?

Did you miss the memo? He got a 3 year extension in August. He isn't going anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Did you miss the memo? He got a 3 year extension in August. He isn't going anywhere.

Yup.  JB has this year and next year for us to become the playoff team he believes us to be.  I think we make the playoffs this season. We are set up to be an improving team over the next few years too.  We have some great young players now, and some dynamite prospects coming along.  The present and future look really bright for us thank to Jim Benning. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Well JB set the table, it is all or nothing to reach the playoffs THIS year.

He will do whatever it takes to get them there.

He talks about his background and how he likes draft picks as a precursor to him possibly trading more picks to make the playoffs for this year. Bye bye prospects.

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  JB has this year and next year for us to become the playoff team he believes us to be.  I think we make the playoffs this season. We are set up to be an improving team over the next few years too.  We have some great young players now, and some dynamite prospects coming along.  The present and future look really bright for us thank to Jim Benning. 

What guarantee is there to any prospects not on the team now? What positions? You still going on how OJ is bumping up the team, 4 years after being drafted?

Big deal the prospects replace Pearson, Leivo, Motte or Schaller.

The prospects only hold a conversation point for hope, if they were good enough, in today's NHL, they would be on the team or have had a cup of coffee up here.

Benning pretty much stated he will do ANY and EVERYTHING to get this team to the playoffs NOW.

So, in your opinion should he trade away more 1rst round picks, 2nd rounder? You hold so much hope for prospects/draft picks is that a good idea? How about moving Gaudette, Tryamkin, Rathbone, DiPietro or Podkolzin? They are the only possible prospects ready. For a guy like Zucker? Hmmm, Zucker, two listed concussions and three listed upper body injuries with an illness following a hit for 4 games, 2 weeks,. Ya, another concussion prone player that maybe has about a 4 year shelf life, 2 productive and then decline, this is the new NHL where kids are considered peaking at 24 now.

Here is one for you, if Ferland cannot hit anymore or has to change his game to less physical, then what?

This guy is going to trade away the future for a chance at the playoffs, he will do anything to keep his job, based on that Green's days are probably numbered. Vancouver is become the second coming of Edmonton for futility and gullibility

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Haha 3
  • Wat 2

7 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Benning pretty much stated he will do ANY and EVERYTHING to get this team to the playoffs NOW.

So, in your opinion should he trade away more 1rst round picks, 2nd rounder? You hold so much hope for prospects/draft picks is that a good idea? How about moving Gaudette, Tryamkin, Rathbone, DiPietro or Podkolzin? They are the only possible prospects ready. For a guy like Zucker? Hmmm, Zucker, two listed concussions and three listed upper body injuries with an illness following a hit for 4 games, 2 weeks,. Ya, another concussion prone player that maybe has about a 4 year shelf life, 2 productive and then decline, this is the new NHL where kids are considered peaking at 24 now.

Here is one for you, if Ferland cannot hit anymore or has to change his game to less physical, then what?

Holy moly man....lets wait for something like this to happen before speculating and sounding the fire alarms...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm looking at it from a trade potential pov, if the market is going to be quiet and no one's really looking to make changes then there's really only 1 option left

I'm just saying Benning didn't comment on any transactions regarding the cap situation, if everyone is healthy. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

ED after next season..and he’s going to have to protect Demko almost certainly.  Maybe he thinks he can sign JM and they (Seattle) will pick him up most definitely and that will take care of him having to pay two goalies but I don’t think that’s a wise decision personally - think they will likely pick Holtby for their number one.  It’s far from a foregone conclusion that they’d pick JM.  My biggest worry is we sign JM long term with the hope he gets picked.   We’d either have to add like PIT did just to make sure he picked him or be over a barrel and trying to trade Demko who definitely looks like the goalie of our future.   It would be awesome to have them both long term but that’s a lot of money tied up for two goalies - and don’t know if we have the cap for it (certainly doesn’t look that way with both EP and Hughes also up next year).  Some guys will be off the books and we will have to find cheaper options for them...likely lesser ones at that unless our prospect pool can carry us somewhat.   I know JB says he wants to sign him (JM)....not convinced it’s the right move all things considered - glad he’s paid the big bucks to figure this one out and not me ha ha. 

I'm not worried about this any more. Reason is Dipietro. I think you take the best asset in return(likely from Demko), then you can move on to other matters.

The goaltending comments are definitely a vote of confidence with Markstrom. It's clear he brings a lot of value off the ice and has a positive ripple on the team culture. The guy wants to win and we need more of that.

My take is that JB knows he has a great duo and stability between the pipes to keep implimenting change. I'm thinking he'll make a deal with Seattle so they don't pick Demko.

If we do sign Marky to say four years, and Demko is safe from Seattle, that's similar to the scenario with Miller where we had stability in net to transition Marky to the starter. Best case is that Demko begins to start much more in year two of Marky's extension at 26.

It's interesting, though, we do have an opportunity ... or option ... kind of like Anaheim where they dealt Andersen to go with the younger Gibson. But that kind of scenario would have to happen this year. 

11 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I lost respect for Benning when he dealt McCann for Gudbranson. McCann is producing like a star right now he’s got one of the best plus minuses in the league and has like 15 points? 

Yeah ok pal....PRODUCING LIKE A STAR.......good god. Give your head a shake.

dubas.PNG.5987e73220a9ca8e915b8e16e9da4831.PNG

PS: for those that can't find mccann in the scoring race on the NHL website, go all the way to page 3!!   :lol:

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1