The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on Sportsnet 650

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jim's comments on the trade market are interesting, we're probably looking at waivers as the only option to move guys in the next two weeks as guys get healthy. Which is fine, if Goldy e.g., starts lighting it up with Bo and can hold his own defensively I'd be fine with losing Leivo e.g. for the roster spot and bit of salary relief. 

Personally I think this would be mistake. Leivo has a much stronger work ethic and when he isn't scoring at least he is playing hard on the fore check. Things Goldy has not shown he can do.  Hopefully that changes with this call up.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I did not like how JB made it sound like Markstrom is a proven number 1 goalie and that Demko still has a long ways to go. That to me tells me they plan to sign Markstrom to a new long term contract and expose Demko to Seattle which could be a colossal mistake. 

I won't worry about it much as there is a year and a half for Demko to develop and show he is better than Marky. The better goalie will be protected. Simple.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Well JB set the table, it is all or nothing to reach the playoffs THIS year.

He will do whatever it takes to get them there.

He talks about his background and how he likes draft picks as a precursor to him possibly trading more picks to make the playoffs for this year. Bye bye prospects.

What guarantee is there to any prospects not on the team now? What positions? You still going on how OJ is bumping up the team, 4 years after being drafted?

Big deal the prospects replace Pearson, Leivo, Motte or Schaller.

The prospects only hold a conversation point for hope, if they were good enough, in today's NHL, they would be on the team or have had a cup of coffee up here.

Benning pretty much stated he will do ANY and EVERYTHING to get this team to the playoffs NOW.

So, in your opinion should he trade away more 1rst round picks, 2nd rounder? You hold so much hope for prospects/draft picks is that a good idea? How about moving Gaudette, Tryamkin, Rathbone, DiPietro or Podkolzin? They are the only possible prospects ready. For a guy like Zucker? Hmmm, Zucker, two listed concussions and three listed upper body injuries with an illness following a hit for 4 games, 2 weeks,. Ya, another concussion prone player that maybe has about a 4 year shelf life, 2 productive and then decline, this is the new NHL where kids are considered peaking at 24 now.

Here is one for you, if Ferland cannot hit anymore or has to change his game to less physical, then what?

This guy is going to trade away the future for a chance at the playoffs, he will do anything to keep his job, based on that Green's days are probably numbered. Vancouver is become the second coming of Edmonton for futility and gullibility

When did he say any of this?

He talked about a respectful hockey culture. He talked about injuries. He talked about a slow trade market and wanting to see the team complete to see where they stand. He talked about goaltending and OJ.

There's nothing that indicates that he saying he is all in on the playoffs and will blow up all the hard work that he had done to do so. Benning did say before that he would like to recoup that lost 1st rounder somehow though but that is adding back to the prospect pool, so it also goes against whatever it is you're trying to say. There are zero rumours about Zucker, but you seem to be having a hissy fit over your own ideas.

calm down taylor swift GIF

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I lost respect for Benning when he dealt McCann for Gudbranson. McCann is producing like a star right now he’s got one of the best plus minuses in the league and has like 15 points? 

Also giving eriksson and Tyler Myers six million each is ridiculous.

However he did draft Boeser, Petterson and Hughes, that has to be said here

And it evens it out.

i hope people realize this guy is out of a job probably if we don’t make the playoffs this year. You can say we’re third in our division, yeaaah but our division kind of sucks. I mean the oilers and coyotes as the top two teams, come on...two forwards on one team and the other has been to the playoffs like once in 20 yeArs.

were on pace for 38 wins, I don’t think a team had made the playoffs with that many wins in this new era playoff system but could be wrong.

i want a offensive defensemen who can actually hit the net. Waive Myers. Buy out Eriksson. 

Trade for Brandon montour, maybe give Buffalo sutter and a second?

Lol. To your points:

Honestly, very happy with McCann's progress. Sometimes it takes getting traded by multiple teams in order to wake up. In spite of a slow start, he's scoring at a solid 2nd line pace. The idea behind trading McCann and picks for a top 4 D was solid. However, Gudbranson did not pan out. Flipping him for Pearson was a decent move. Were you mad when Shinkaruk was moved for Granlund? 

Eriksson and Myers' free agency values were on par for what the market was dictating (Actually, it was thought Myers would sign for closer to $7 Million/Year). Do you honestly think Chatfield or Rafferty are ready to step up and fill his minutes when you send him down? Eilot?

Buy out Eriksson? You really need to check out the buy-out calculator on capfriendly.com. 

Brandon Montour is a pipe dream. 1st, the return is laughable. Did it work in NHL 20? 2nd, he's a pending RFA that could potentially eat up cap space required for EP and Hughes' new deals the following year. If you want a right-handed offensive defenseman, you're better off taking a flyer (pun intended) on Gostisbehere, who has 4 years left on a $4.5M contract with proven offensive pedigree. At the very least, you get cost certainty and a suitable replacement for Stecher, who will likely be traded or not qualified. Disclaimer: If you hate how Myers plays defensively, good luck with liking Ghost.

We're Canucks fans'; We should be comfortable being uncomfortable. I've been uncomfortable since 92. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Personally I think this would be mistake. Leivo has a much stronger work ethic and when he isn't scoring at least he is playing hard on the fore check. Things Goldy has not shown he can do.  Hopefully that changes with this call up.

he's replacement level imo. If Goldy has improved away from the puck he is a far more creative player. On a line with Bo and Jake or Bo and Pearson e.g., we don't need Goldy to forecheck, we need him to create more offence with Bo and thats not Leivo. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he's replacement level imo. If Goldy has improved away from the puck he is a far more creative player. On a line with Bo and Jake or Bo and Pearson e.g., we don't need Goldy to forecheck, we need him to create more offence with Bo and thats not Leivo. 

Don't get me wrong, if Goldy can actually play a strong offensive game consistently at the NHL level then I would totally love that.

I just think that Leivo would be the wrong guy to move on from as he can play different types of games. At the very minimum he would be a strong 4th liner:

Motte  Beagle  Leivo

PS: fire Loui Erikksson into the sun on a cheap rocket

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

When did he say any of this?

He talked about a respectful hockey culture. He talked about injuries. He talked about a slow trade market and wanting to see the team complete to see where they stand. He talked about goaltending and OJ.

There's nothing that indicates that he saying he is all in on the playoffs and will blow up all the hard work that he had done to do so. Benning did say before that he would like to recoup that lost 1st rounder somehow though but that is adding back to the prospect pool, so it also goes against whatever it is you're trying to say. There are zero rumours about Zucker, but you seem to be having a hissy fit over your own ideas.

calm down taylor swift GIF

Just one quick statement when he was talking about the TDL, He didn't go into a depth conversation and the interviewer didn't ask, he basically followed his script.

FYI media people, even in radio, usually will have a script that they follow as a guideline at least.

A little off topic but with regard of script.

Rintoul interviewed Rienhart and tried at least 5 times to get him to say small defencemen are preferred now and then trie dto get him to say  Hughes was all the rage, Reinhart just kept saying bigger, even with less skill is better for defence in the playoffs and that he thought Dahlin was by far the best young dman in the league, but Rintoul kept on about small dmen the whole interview trying to get Paul to agree, the only thing PR agreed to was they are okay for the regular season because it is so much easier.

The Zucker rumours have been out there for months, the summer rumour had Minny wanting to do a deal that included Boeser. That he has had concussions is just what Benning seems to gravitate to, several of the players on this team, signed vets, have their bell rung more than once.

Paraphrasing here; Benning said they would wait until the TDL and do whatever they need to help the team into the playoffs. I am not going to listen to it again to give you the minute and second, it was one quick statement that the interviewer passed on and went on to the next question. the interviewer also hit all his marks.

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Don't get me wrong, if Goldy can actually play a strong offensive game consistently at the NHL level then I would totally love that.

I just think that Leivo would be the wrong guy to move on from as he can play different types of games. At the very minimum he would be a strong 4th liner:

Motte  Beagle  Leivo

PS: fire Loui Erikksson into the sun on a cheap rocket

the order for waivers I would have used is Loui, Baer, Leivo to make space if needed. Leivo's OK, he's decent cheap depth but we have a lot of that actually. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jim's comments on the trade market are interesting, we're probably looking at waivers as the only option to move guys in the next two weeks as guys get healthy. Which is fine, if Goldy e.g., starts lighting it up with Bo and can hold his own defensively I'd be fine with losing Leivo e.g. for the roster spot and bit of salary relief. 

That would be a “Real GOOD” move 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

He talks about his background and how he likes draft picks as a precursor to him possibly trading more picks to make the playoffs for this year. Bye bye prospects.

What guarantee is there to any prospects not on the team now? What positions? You still going on how OJ is bumping up the team, 4 years after being drafted?

The prospects only hold a conversation point for hope, if they were good enough, in today's NHL, they would be on the team or have had a cup of coffee up here.

Benning pretty much stated he will do ANY and EVERYTHING to get this team to the playoffs NOW.

So, in your opinion should he trade away more 1rst round picks, 2nd rounder? You hold so much hope for prospects/draft picks is that a good idea? How about moving Gaudette, Tryamkin, Rathbone, DiPietro or Podkolzin? They are the only possible prospects ready. For a guy like Zucker? Hmmm, Zucker, two listed concussions and three listed upper body injuries with an illness following a hit for 4 games, 2 weeks,. Ya, another concussion prone player that maybe has about a 4 year shelf life, 2 productive and then decline, this is the new NHL where kids are considered peaking at 24 now.

Here is one for you, if Ferland cannot hit anymore or has to change his game to less physical, then what?

This guy is going to trade away the future for a chance at the playoffs, he will do anything to keep his job, based on that Green's days are probably numbered. Vancouver is become the second coming of Edmonton for futility and gullibility

I don’t see JB moving any prospects.  He said that we now have a prospect pipeline that will be used to replace the supporting players around our core, and at ELC cap dollars.  I didn’t see his plan at first, but now I do.  It’s actually really the only way (in the cap era) a team can have a sustainable competitive period.  Young elite core we have.  Lots of prospects to fill in around that core at cheap cap costs for the next 5-7 years.  That’s this current young core’s winning window.  It could stretch out to even 10 years considering our two key core guys (Petey and Hughes) are so young.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Just one quick statement when he was talking about the TDL, He didn't go into a depth conversation and the interviewer didn't ask, he basically followed his script.

FYI media people, even in radio, usually will have a script that they follow as a guideline at least.

A little off topic but with regard of script.

Rintoul interviewed Rienhart and tried at least 5 times to get him to say small defencemen are preferred now and then trie dto get him to say  Hughes was all the rage, Reinhart just kept saying bigger, even with less skill is better for defence in the playoffs and that he thought Dahlin was by far the best young dman in the league, but Rintoul kept on about small dmen the whole interview trying to get Paul to agree, the only thing PR agreed to was they are okay for the regular season because it is so much easier.

The Zucker rumours have been out there for months, the summer rumour had Minny wanting to do a deal that included Boeser. That he has had concussions is just what Benning seems to gravitate to, several of the players on this team, signed vets, have their bell rung more than once.

Paraphrasing here; Benning said they would wait until the TDL and do whatever they need to help the team into the playoffs. I am not going to listen to it again to give you the minute and second, it was one quick statement that the interviewer passed on and went on to the next question. the interviewer also hit all his marks.

So making mountains out of molehills basically. Benning wants to see where the team is at with a healthy lineup and if we are in a playoff position (or fighting for one) that we may try to find pieces to fill needs for the lineup for the price they deem to be worth the value provided. This is pretty standard amongst all teams and GMs in the same position. That has no lead towards anything to suggest that we are going to trade away our top prospects or whatever to make it happen.

The Zucker rumours were in the summer and were squashed as soon as Boeser's name came up. There has been no talks since. Minnesota seems to want to make it work with Zucker too. Not sure why this would carry over until now. Signing players with a concussion history (Ferland is really the only one?) is less of a risk than giving up assets for one, so seems like a logical decision if that was the concern.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I lost respect for Benning when he dealt McCann for Gudbranson. McCann is producing like a star right now he’s got one of the best plus minuses in the league and has like 15 points? 

Also giving eriksson and Tyler Myers six million each is ridiculous.

However he did draft Boeser, Petterson and Hughes, that has to be said here

And it evens it out.

i hope people realize this guy is out of a job probably if we don’t make the playoffs this year. You can say we’re third in our division, yeaaah but our division kind of sucks. I mean the oilers and coyotes as the top two teams, come on...two forwards on one team and the other has been to the playoffs like once in 20 yeArs.

were on pace for 38 wins, I don’t think a team had made the playoffs with that many wins in this new era playoff system but could be wrong.

i want a offensive defensemen who can actually hit the net. Waive Myers. Buy out Eriksson. 

Trade for Brandon montour, maybe give Buffalo sutter and a second?

This is just a bad take, 100% garbage. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t see JB moving any prospects.  He said that we now have a prospect pipeline that will be used to replace the supporting players around our core, and at ELC cap dollars.  I didn’t see his plan at first, but now I do.  It’s actually really the only way (in the cap era) a team can have a sustainable competitive period.  Young elite core we have.  Lots of prospects to fill in around that core at cheap cap costs for the next 5-7 years.  That’s this current young core’s winning window.  It could stretch out to even 10 years considering our two key core guys (Petey and Hughes) are so young.  

Where are Petey, Boeser, Hughes and Horvat's replacements coming from? That is is like 8 more years. So far it is taking up to 4 years for half of Benning picks to show up, if the team is a playoff regular where are these players going to be? How many teams will trade away a lottery pick? How many Van GM's will have 6 top ten picks?

With Benning at the controls yes it could be another 8 to 10 years before this group has a shot at the cup, other teams are also getting younger and doing better than the Canucks.

Benning picture is building this into a mediocre team, a middle of the road that wil require the trading of Boeser, Horvat and maybe Hughes for draft picks or star prospects.

Horvat might be the Captain but  players used to winning either losing becomes okay and then something is lost or they want to win and start wanting a trade, even if they don't vocalize it the play on the ice starts becoming less intense.

But you have kind of hit on a timeline of Benning's plan, it is clear you think it is a 12 to 14 year plan in total. 2014 to 2026.

I hate the media in this town, all bought and paid for.

Two bad years and we were putting bags on our heads at the arena, end result, they hired Quinn and we went to a cup final within 4 years.

This team isn't even a .500 team.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Dude I don’t think you listened very closely - “Benning pretty much stated he’d do ANY and EVERYTHING to get into the playoffs NOW”.   When did he say that exactly?  Was it a different interview?  Are you reading this into your narrative because of the Miller trade (without him playoffs wouldn’t even be in the discussion right now / he’s part of the core like it or not).   He’s had more patience then god when it comes to OJ - so why do you think he’s going to trade away any of our prospects all of a sudden?  What the heck are you even talking about with Zucker?  Like he was going to trade BB for him (other post) but he couldnt because MIN didn’t want him because of his concussion? HA Ha HA HA HA.   Man being in your head must be one whirlwind of a handy.  

Second coming of EDM.  They’ve been rebuilding since their dynasty vacated.  One year of Pronger excluded.   Back then if we were them and there was a CDC we’d be creaming our pants over the number of picks they got.  Yet JB managed more with less then most - keep throwing darts on the board maybe one will stick eventually. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Where are Petey, Boeser, Hughes and Horvat's replacements coming from? That is is like 8 more years. So far it is taking up to 4 years for half of Benning picks to show up, if the team is a playoff regular where are these players going to be? How many teams will trade away a lottery pick? How many Van GM's will have 6 top ten picks?

With Benning at the controls yes it could be another 8 to 10 years before this group has a shot at the cup, other teams are also getting younger and doing better than the Canucks.

Benning picture is building this into a mediocre team, a middle of the road that wil require the trading of Boeser, Horvat and maybe Hughes for draft picks or star prospects.

Horvat might be the Captain but  players used to winning either losing becomes okay and then something is lost or they want to win and start wanting a trade, even if they don't vocalize it the play on the ice starts becoming less intense.

But you have kind of hit on a timeline of Benning's plan, it is clear you think it is a 12 to 14 year plan in total. 2014 to 2026.

I hate the media in this town, all bought and paid for.

Two bad years and we were putting bags on our heads at the arena, end result, they hired Quinn and we went to a cup final within 4 years.

This team isn't even a .500 team.

I don’t get your point here.  We have a great young core.  We have really good support guys here now, who will be replaced by top prospects from our really good prospect pool.  Our winning window is open now, and will be for at least another seven to ten years.  

Look at our core.  Then look at our current support players.  The core stays, and those support guys are going to slowly age out or price out.  Now look at the prospect pool pushing to fill those support player roles.  It looks like a decade of winning that is actually sustainable in the cap era.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I won't worry about it much as there is a year and a half for Demko to develop and show he is better than Marky. The better goalie will be protected. Simple.

Exactly, signing both goalies and then losing one is better than getting a mediocre return and losing another player. Sign Markstrom this summer for 4 years. Then re-sign Demko for a couple years when his contract is up and we either move forward with two good goalies, the better of the two, or conceivably both goalies while losing another asset. I don't think either goalie gets you that good of a return. Maybe a 2nd rounder +/- b prospect.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t get your point here.  We have a great young core.  We have really good support guys here now, who will be replaced by top prospects from our really good prospect pool.  Our winning window is open now, and will be for at least another seven to ten years.  

Look at our core.  Then look at our current support players.  The core stays, and those support guys are going to slowly age out or price out.  Now look at the prospect pool pushing to fill those support player roles.  It looks like a decade of winning that is actually sustainable in the cap era.  

IMO the team has the beginning of a GREAT core, they need another younger stud dman and at least two more under 24 top six forwards of star quality.

Fans here have got so used to this losing team that getting close to .500 is being thought of as finishing the rebuild.

This team with just this core of star forwards and Hughes is still one injury away from collapse.

In 3 years Miller, Roussel, Sutter, Leivo, Pearson, Benn, Edler, Tanev, if they are still here at all, their skill levels will have diminished so much they will be as Eriksson. A big cap number taking up a roster spot and the team just might make the playoffs a couple of years so the good draft picks will be really hit an miss then, certainly no Hughes or Petterssons.

Benning is a GM with his back to the wall, the owner has bent over backwards in giving a free rein but the owner wants his Dad to see a cup before he moves along. Aquilini is not an ignorant uneducated novice to hockey and even Benning must know the consequences of failing now so he would be willing to sell the future, as he already has, to make the playoffs. IMO even if he makes the show he has to do more than a one and done. The team DOES look like they could win a few in the playoffs BUT they are a one line team and still have not much depth on defence.

The window is opening but with Benning it is one inch at a time. Two injuries and this team misses the playoffs by 6 to 8 points, if Horvat, Tanev, Edler Pettersson, Boeser, Miller or Myers go down this team is hooped. 23rd or worse overall is a real possibility as they cannot even maintain a .500 record with 3rd and 4th liners injured.

And the cap for the next few years is also a disaster. Next year there is 10+ million in extra charges with no roster players Luongo, Spooner and bonuses leaving just under 15 mil for signing over nine roster spots.

I think that after Benning the next guy has to trade for draft picks to get star talent, Pettersson could be the best player in the league but even McDavid isn't enough by himself, nor was Ovey or Crosby.

This team needs more, every where and the only place to get those it needs for a prolonged future is the draft and more to the point, the first round of the draft where 75% of those drafted are sure things

2014 - all in the top 15 make the NHL.

2015 - all in the top 15 make the NHL.

2016 - .all in the top 15 make the NHL. except OJ

2017 - all in the top 15 make the NHL. except two

2018 - so far all in the top 15 make the NHL. except three

2019 - the top three so far.

It shows that teams will covet 1rst round draft positions.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

IMO the team has the beginning of a GREAT core, they need another younger stud dman and at least two more under 24 top six forwards of star quality.

Fans here have got so used to this losing team that getting close to .500 is being thought of a finishing the rebuild.

This team with just this core of star forwards and Hughes is still one injury away from collapse.

In 3 years Miller, Roussel, Sutter, Leivo, Pearson, Benn, Edler, Tanev, if they are still here at all, their skill levels will have diminished so much they will be as Eriksson. A big cap number taking up a roster spot and the team just might make the playoffs a couple of years so the good draft picks will be really hit an miss then, certainly no Hughes or Petterssons.

Benning is a GM with his back to the wall, the owner has bent over backwards in giving a free rein but the owner wants his Dad to see a cup before he moves along. Aquilini is not an ignorant uneducated novice to hockey and even Benning must know the consequences of failing now so he would be willing to sell the future, as he already has, to make the playoffs. IMO even if he makes the show he has to do more than a one and done. The team DOES look like they could win a few in the playoffs BUT they are a one line team and still have not much depth on defence.

The window is opening but with Benning it is one inch at a time. Two injuries and this team misses the playoffs by 6 to 8 points, if Horvat, Tanev, Edler Pettersson, Boeser, Miller or Myers go down this team is hooped. 23rd or worse overall is a real possibility as they cannot even maintain a .500 record with 3rd and 4th liners injured.

And the cap for the next few years is also a disaster. Next year there is 10+ million in extra charges with no roster players Luongo, Spooner and bonuses leaving just under 15 mil for signing over nine roster spots.

I think that after Benning the next guy has to trade for draft picks to get star talent, Pettersson could be the best player in the league but even McDavid isn't enough by himself, nor was Ovey or Crosby.

This team needs more, every where and the only place to get those it needs for a prolonged future is the draft and more to the point, the first round of the draft where 75% of those drafted are sure things

2014 - all in the top 15 make the NHL.

2015 - all in the top 15 make the NHL.

2016 - .all in the top 15 make the NHL. except OJ

2017 - all in the top 15 make the NHL. except two

2018 - so far all in the top 15 make the NHL. except three

2019 - the top three so far.

It shows that teams will covet 1rst round draft positions.

How are we going to pay these extra top end players?  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How are we going to pay these extra top end players?  

The only way they can, entry level contracts, those give the team 6 years of lower priced skill, 6 players on entry level staggered over one each year makes it easy to pay 6 stars out to 10 years even if the team ends up trading one for more top draft picks.

example, Jake is easily playing better than Eriksson, Eriksson was brought in to be top six. Well it has cost the team not only millions of dollars to find out they were wrong but also a roster spot, Jake has cost a lot less and has waaaay more upside still.