The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van /CBJ(Proposal)

Tanner Pearson, Jake Virtanen

CBJ: Josh Anderson

Right off the hop, I'll state there are many reasons I'd mull this pretty damn hard, if it were available. I'll get into the reasoning later.

& yes, I'm aware that JA has had an abysmal start to the season.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
title tweak
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Josh held out last yr, settled, then puts up 47 pts(27 snipes). His tilt with Jamie Benn was pretty damn epic. This yr he's stuck on TWO lousy pts..but with an unsustainable 2% sh pct.

I guess he wants outa' that town, away from Torts(or both). He's prob playing with minimal motivation. One question I do have is his health. Did he get banged up(last yr) from scrapping? This is one issue they'd need to be clear on.

The Torts catastrophic season produced the 6 slot, where we chose JV. A player with gifts/tools, but is there a toolbox? Starting to wonder. His not taking summer training seriously(it appeared) is a huge faux pas, when one considers the kinda young cast JB is assembling. He might DESERVE a yr of tutelage under our former coach-rapper. It almost seems a karmic-destiny thing.

RW: Brock, Goldy?, Sutter/Gaudette, Motte, Leivo, Big Mac

I say we can afford this risk. If JA doesn't find his game we dump about 5,000,000 of cap, clearing books & making space for next season. But Anderson might find explosive chemistry with either Bo or EP.

Need to dump Pearson for the cap. They either take him, or Baer. CBJ has oodles.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Tanner Pearson, Jake Virtanen

CBJ: Josh Anderson

Right off the hop, I'll state there are many reasons I'd mull this pretty damn hard, if it were available. I'll get into the reasoning later.

& yes, I'm aware that JA has had an abysmal start to the season.

JA is a couple years older than Jake, and seemingly still doesn’t get what he needs to do to be a success in the NHL.  He had one good year, and then back to his regular self.  I like the concept of the trade, but don’t think JA is the right target. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

JA is a couple years older than Jake, and seemingly still doesn’t get what he needs to do to be a success in the NHL.  He had one good year, and then back to his regular self.  I like the concept of the trade, but don’t think JA is the right target. 

I see 31 buckets Alfer, & cap hit is the liquid. Everyone's damn-near full!

So what's interesting here is even if you lost this deal(eg: JA can't find form), clearing the books is simply very valuable(in itself) to us, right now.

With names like Pod & Lind coming, our RW will likely be kosher anyways. With returning bodies, we have the depth to take a chance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

you do have to wonder tho if Nux is onto something with wanting to get away from Torts. He's had 3 years better than Jake actually. I can see the fit with Bo for sure.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I see 31 buckets Alfer, & cap hit is the liquid. Everyone's damn-near full!

So what's interesting here is even if you lost this deal(eg: JA can't find form), clearing the books is simply very valuable(in itself) to us, right now.

With names like Pod & Lind coming, our RW will likely be kosher anyways. With returning bodies, we have the depth to take a chance.

Clearing cap is good.  Interesting conceptually for sure.  

So, past the fact that the title of this thread is REALLY bad, I think a trade that "might" work could be something like:

To Columbus:

Baerstchi 1 million retained

2020 6th round pick 

To Canucks:

2020 4th round pick

Reason for Columbus to do this? They have cap space and could use a boost in scoring without committing to anyone that has a contract that runs too long.

Reason Canucks do this? Obviously, it would save us about 2.3 million in cap space. Also, there really isn't a place on this team for Baerstchi, and personally I think he deserves better. To be effective, he needs to have a top 6 role, and there isn't really anyone on this team that he's going to displace at this point. He's talented and has been a really good stop gap player for us, but I've felt for a couple of years that his stay with the Canucks would be short term as we had other cheaper players in the system who could play the same type of game that he does.

We need space, let him go cheap.