The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 27, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If it were a one off, that'd be one thing, but there are some alarming trends that were put on full display tonight. The team's inability to start strong. Their inability to close out games against decent teams. The complete lack of pressure when defending. Bad player deployment in the 3rd. 

If you want to talk about bad deployment in the 3rd then you are asking to bench Elias, Brock and their linemate in the 3rd period.  They were brutal defensively and got owned by the Malkin line.  This was a road game so Pittsburgh has the last line change.  

Gaudette had 0 faceoff wins going into 3rd.  

You're down to Horvat and Graovac.  

As I said before, you can blame the coach for not taking a timeout earlier, but he's not telling the players to not pressure the puck carriers.  That's on our young guys who are just trying to keep the opposition to the outside and block shots.  It's come back to bite us multiple time.  Show me other mediocre teams and I'll dig up just as many blown leads.  

They beat the first team in the NHL a few days ago, so they can do it, but are prone to colossal breakdowns.  

Green can be replaced for next year, but the coach can't skate out there for the players.  Players aren't getting exact coordinates from the coach on where to skate and how hard to skate/check.  That's up to the player who's played the same hockey game for their entire lives. 

Tough loss. Had the lead but we just couldn't hang on to it. Gaudette had a phenomenal game. He was in the right places at the right time. Miller was his usual self out there, playing a hard nosed game. JV played good also. Speedy and playing physical. Petey potted a nice one also. Can't believe we blew this one but can't win em all. Bounce back game next game. GCG!

• Upvote 1

That’s 2 3 goal blown lead games 

how many people chalked the Washington game up to a “learning” experience?

did we learn?

this is on Green 

He could have slowed things down by switching goalies...and back, taking a timeout but no he stood there while the ship sank 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 6string said:

Twice in less than one half of a season rests squarely on the men behind the bench, that applies to all major league sports.

I think Green's days are numbered, but hard to blame this entirely on Green. Players are paid to play. They did not play. That 3rd period was a piss poor effort by everyone, goalie included.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We're just soft and awful defensively in our forward group.

All those forwards who apply that grit and defensively play are out with injury.

Like we can't close out games, our PK went to $&!#, we aren't as physical or strong on pucks since Sutter, Beagle, Motte, Ferland, Roussel went out.

We haven't been winning much since they've been out.

Not excusing the coaching, they can be better but you can't expect to win much with those guys out regardless.

True but when we start tossing around names would you rather have those 5 in your lineup or Crosby... 

This is coming down to coaching, 110%, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rotiman187 said:

Haven't posted in a while had to chime in on this one. To the people saying learn from this, this has already happened once to us. This times it's unacceptable to give up a 3 goal lead once again and 5 in the 3rd. Coaching staff should definitely be on the hot seat after this one. Boeser and Edler were horrid. Boeser needs to learn and move his feet in the defensesive zone and maybe connect on some of this one timers he's always dealt. This was an ugly one smh. 

Your post is needed.

It is easy to miss just how bad this one was.  Takes an exasperated fan to remind us. Thanks.

Edler is finished as a player.  Not sure why this isn't being addressed by the team.  I love what he has done for the team for years, but he no longer has it.  Too slow, too passive.  Too vulnerable.  Boeser doesn't seem to have the intensity you need to defend, to get the puck back in your own zone.  The whole team retreats into a shell as if they are killing a penalty.  Just hopeless.  So 1990s.  Coach change all round.  

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

No it wasn't. I literally posted you the first frame of the puck fully entered into the zone, bud. Do you want me to send you a video as proof? 

The frame that was posted has the puck well into the zone

can you post the link?

if Toronto missed it I will be kissed 

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

People keep stating the importance of Sutter and Beagle to this team, and I agree to an extent.

That being said, they're both injured....again. How important can they be if they both keep getting injured?

I think it's time to start shopping Sutter. He's been with us going on 5 seasons and in the previous 4 he has only managed to dress for 57% of the games. He's a good player but he is too injury prone. I'd rather have someone that actually plays  utilizing that cap space at this point. As soon as he's healthy again he should be traded asap.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Boest-er said:

If im being honest, Boeser dosen't seem to fit in with greens system. If we get another coach and he still isn't producing then we can go to these conclusions

While I agree Green sucks, the coach isn't at fault if a player is lazy, refuses to skate, and floats. He's careless with the puck and loses puck battles along the boards constantly. He had a shot at one point, but we haven't seen that for almost two seasons now. It takes him like 5 minutes to get the puck off his stick when he shoots now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, Jam126 said:

It also feels like the Canucks skate slower and take a long time to pass compared to literally any team we have played. 

Lack of bite and defensive play out of our forward group is making our team more awful.

Not a surprise that the PK went to $&!#, we had more trouble holding onto leads, we lack physicality and we are not as strong on pucks if you look who's out to injury.

That said coaching could be better but they are not the biggest reasons for our struggles. We should all now understand the importance of having Sutter, Beagle, Ferland, Motte and even Roussel for that matter. Better defensive forwards make our defense better and more gritty forwards makes us harder to play against and gives us spark that our team desperately needs.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Seinfeld said:

While I agree Green sucks, the coach isn't at fault if a player is lazy, refuses to skate, and floats. He's careless with the puck and loses puck battles along the boards constantly. He had a shot at one point, but we haven't seen that for almost two seasons now. It takes him like 5 minutes to get the puck off his stick when he shoots now. 

Such a poor take. :picard: