The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 27, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's Green's job to make sure that the players are skating and putting the effort in. It's his job to utilize his timeouts and challenges effectively. It's his job to make sure the players are ready to start the game. It's his job to make sure the players aren't playing passive hockey. 

And assuming Green isn't the problem, what't the solution then? Get rid of all of the players that just happen to all be playing lame, passive hockey at the same time? 

Between giving up early goals and not keeping leads... all made ugly by retreating into a 5-man shell?

Has to be about the coach.  

All most of us ask is not to "retire" into a defensive shell.  Play hard, play the way that got you the lead.  Watch the Red Army team of the 1980 era.   Or, Team Canada in Sochi.  Same team I think, lol. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Seinfeld said:

While I agree Green sucks, the coach isn't at fault if a player is lazy, refuses to skate, and floats. He's careless with the puck and loses puck battles along the boards constantly. He had a shot at one point, but we haven't seen that for almost two seasons now. It takes him like 5 minutes to get the puck off his stick when he shoots now. 

Not sure what u r on right now. But Boeser doesn't really float out there. That's not in his game. 

He is good on coming out of the corners with pucks, too. Saw it tonight a few times on Bo's wing when they were forechecking. 

But he has definitely been struggling to find good ice out there to receive the passes. Consequently, he has little time to process a perfect play but he's not been able to do that recently.

And whiffed on some good opportunities. Those were his problems. Not his work ethic. 

He hasn't been good lately but I can see him trying. 

Bounces will come around for BB. That's hockey. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

Trade Boeser in a hockey deal, one-for-one. 

Kyler Connor, Travis Konecny, Pierre Luc-Dubois, Matthew Tkachuk (oh what could've been).

In comparison, these players are substantially better in all areas of the game save for Boeser's shot, which hasn't been that effective for a while now if we're being honest. 

I like Boeser but we have to realize rookie season Boeser is likely never coming back and changes need to be made. 

What's the deal with Boeser? *cue slap bass*

• Haha 1

The reason I am vocal about Greens shortcomings as a coach is I have bought season tix the last 4 years and endured a lot of losing.  My sense is that this team is a playoff team and I want to see that.  I dont want to miss the playoffs again simply because we have a coach who can't get it done. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

For all of the apologists out there who say don't panic, Green is the guy ... he's been tuned out by the team.  He has no answers, and the team senses it, and is playing accordingly.  The rays of hope provided in single game efforts recently are provided by the players themselves in great personal efforts, not the coaching staff.  Miller was a good example tonight.  Played extremely well, but that came from within, not from Green.  Green and co have to go for the team to take the next step.  They're in Pittsburgh ... tell Green to take a hike, and get Jacques Martin on board.  This will be a lost season in short order if a change isn't made.      

• Upvote 1

Just watch the zone exits, entries and passing on this team. The defensive sets are God  awful,  dump and chase is useless with our forward group. I know we are missing a bunch of guys but how many times do we have to watch teams strut over our blue line and create waaaay more chances than us. The strategy has been easily figured out by every other team, half our wins are literally because Marky and demko stand on their heads

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

No, Toronto and St Louis both had teams that were expected to do well, full of veterans. 
We are a young team that most people didn't pick to make the playoffs this year, or at best be on the bubble.  

I'm resigned to a mediocre team this year that will try and squeek into the playoffs.  Yeah it sucks to lose like this but give this team credit for battling back after they were down 0-2.  

We have Gaudette, Zach and Hughes emerging this year.  I'd rather focus more on player development then try and get all the Xs and Os down to try and win at any cost.  So for that reason I'd rather let this team play out the year with the same structure and expectations.  If we change coaches, let it happen in the summer. 

I don't want to wait until summer to do it so.  Personally for me, Green is not the right coach when they were winning early in the season and was able to score goals.  Slow starts cost this team, period.  Not just slow start, allowing first goals for too many games which indicates a slow start.  We have good enough of a defence corps from the free agents and we haven't sustained an injury to our defence yet and still we looked bad, that's with the full strength line-up on defence.   Also we had a full line-up that allowed 5 goals against Washington.  Slow starts happen over the season but he had a bad record when it comes to that area which is essential part of the game in order to win games.   Green doesn't have any excuses when it comes to this coaching against the Pens when we had a 6-3 lead that also included a slow start in the first period.  That is a bad combination.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Seinfeld said:

I understand it might be trying times for Boeser. But at the same time he has to do his job and play hockey. He half-asses so many plays. His poor effort level is very noticeable, especially when you see EP and Miller busting their ass every shift. 

Listen to Benning's interview a couple of days ago. It explains a lot about how young people are today and how they want to be treated.  Back in my day, our coaches would berate us.  It did not make us better, but they made us afraid to get in trouble.  Now as a mental health professional, working for the State of Missouri, I think coping skills and mindfulness practices may help Brock to work through all of the challenges. But I am not in the room and I don't know how he is feeling, if he is injured, or if he is struggling emotionally. Especially with the American holidays right now.

• Upvote 1