The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 27, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I’ve been a Canuck fan for more years than I’d like to admit. We have some poor coaching and also some excellent. My favourite has always been Pat Quinn. I’m not a fire Green fan, he has the potential to be a fine assistant. Perhaps mentored by an nhl professional coach. His immature attitude to the media (warranted or not) is a very poor way to represent our team. His line decisions are not well thought out. They can’t be if he already shakes them up in the first period. In a time-out, whenever you call one, do you not raise your voice, get mad or even talk to your players. It’s supposed to be a wake- up call not a blank stare silent treatment. I am very frustrated.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

Out of his 4 seasons in Utica, he went to the finals once, lost in the 1st round, and missed the playoffs twice. 

He just doesn't win games man. Don't know what to tell ya.

Think he could coach a couple AHLers in the NHL since hes been there before, nope.

I want Vancouver to win you want Vancouver to win but does Travis know how to coach a professional hockey club?

I don't know if he can. That's my point. I am keeping an open mind on this.

I want to see if he can with a healthy lineup that's capable of making the playoffs. He wasn't given that chance much in Utica due to the lack of quality prospects we had at the time.

AHLers are AHLers for a reason. You can try to coach them the best they can be but if they're not good enough they're not good enough.

It is really unfortunate that our injuries happened to our most important bottom 6 players. Like I said if we stay relatively healthy and the team fails then Green should definitely be let go.

I DO think Green can be better but ultimately I realize the injuries we face is what is holding us back mainly. You can hate Green but I recommend holding MOST of your hate back till he fails with a playoff lineup when our guys are back from injury. Again if he does I will be right there criticizing and hating on Green with you.

Ultimately we want the Canucks to succeed but I am reserving my judgement for when we are healthy.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

18 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

Part of the issue I'm sure,but it happened when he wasn't on the ice as well. It's the style we play. If what you're doing is good enough for a 6-3 lead why change things? Keep the same lines rolling and maintain the same style of play...if they did could it have been worse than what happened? Doubt it!

I agree 100%

Just now, gameburn said:

And the way they change lines: other teams are watching for this too.  Green is too predictable.  I give Green 10 more games and he is gone.

That's too long time for the wait.  Lost points opportunities is precious especially with mentally state with the players are going through giving up the game like this.  You need someone with a good coach to teach you the proper way to swing the momentum.  Two blown leads is the culprit of this team right now and that's coaching.  I'm sure that we might blow some leads before but giving up goals like this is not good.  I remember the slow start in first two games, we couldn't score goals and he had a long week of practice to get this team ready and they wasn't ready until home opener.  Slow starts is the problem.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

Hiring Babcock sounds like a snack right about now. 

Peters has that thing going on I don't know if you've heard or not.

Why else would I bring up his name?  He sounds like more of your kind of coach that will push his players to play harder, just like your boy Torts. 

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't know if he can. That's my point. I am keeping an open mind on this.

I want to see if he can with a healthy lineup that's capable of making the playoffs. He wasn't given that chance much in Utica due to the lack of quality prospects we had at the time.

AHLers are AHLers for a reason. You can try to coach them the best they can be but if they're not good enough they're not good enough.

It is really unfortunate that our injuries happened to our most important bottom 6 players. Like I said if we stay relatively healthy and the team fails then Green should definitely be let go.

I DO think Green can be better but ultimately I realize the injuries we face is what is holding us back mainly. You can hate Green but I recommend holding MOST of your hate back till he fails with a playoff lineup when our guys are back from injury. Again if he does I will be right there criticizing and hating on Green with you.

Ultimately we want the Canucks to succeed but I am reserving my judgement for when we are healthy.

We lost to a team with one of the best if not the best player in the league out of their lineup.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

i get it people are unhappy that team is in a bit of a downward trend

but they are still in a playoff position

not even a wild card team

so it's good to have some perspective

the team is young

and key defensive forwards are not yet back

not sure how this adds up to firing green?

or any other drastic steps

the better record in october is a bit of an illusion as it was achieved against weaker teams

and the team was mostly injury free

november is all about seeing how this team does against better teams

and november is the toughest month

both in terms of number of games and opponents

and dealing with more important injuries

if they come out of this month still in a playoff position

they will have set themselves up to maintain that for the balance of the season 

and with slightly better spacing of games

they should be alright

and player health should be able to be maintained

november should have been a tough month

and it has been

nucks likely are still a playoff team at the end of this month

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Fact is Colorado is playing better with just as bad injury woes, worse cause their stars have gone down, than we are with bottom 6ers gone. The injury excuse doesn't fly. Ferland is barely a 3rd liner in my books with his play this year. Motte and Beagle are good 4th liners, but again our team shouldn't collapse with bottom 6 injuries when teams with top 6 injuries continue to play well. Our depth should cover injuries to bottom 6 players but it hasn't.

Exactly. It's just an excuse. If Pettersson, Boeser, and Miller were all injured, then yeah, we could blame injuries, but they're not and we're still scoring lots of goals. Hell, scoring 6 goals should be enough to win a hockey game every night. The problem isn't injuries, or lack of talent, or youth.  The problem is the guys overseeing the team that are supposed to be leading the team aren't doing a very good job. We're going to continue to see this inconsistency and defensive breakdowns regularly until that problem is addressed and a new coaching staff is brought in. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am not worried...…...

I know you guys will jump all over me on this...…….

But offense is hard to perfect.....

Defense isn't...…...

They will get better, like with wine...….it will take some time. :canucks:

I just hope not another 50 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Slegr said:

So much shade on this PGT for TG. 
Credit due to Pens, they have some skill and pressed hard. It was an entertaining game. Unfortunate that we didn’t get any points, but I still have faith. We’re still destined for playoffs this season.

Nux were up 6 to 3 in the third and lost 8 to 6. 

You choose to see that as acceptable and even entertaining. I choose to see it as a lack of leadership from the coaching staff. And a disconnect with the players who are being coached. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Like I said earlier Loui plays a garbage game for a garbage system. 

It'd be a lot less painful to give Loui a chance under another coach at this point tbh. He's not being traded without us giving up something and buying him out doesn't help our cap issues. 

• Upvote 1