The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's all take a step back and look how far the team has come along.

Rate this topic

ruilin96

7 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Horrible excuse, 3 guys were in the lineup when we blew a 4 goal lead to Washington.

Truly, the only excuse for blowing games this year, is growing pains from a young team. 

I am not alarmed in the least.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I think the early periods of success kind of spoiled the fanbase on expectations this year.

In reality, before the season started, this type of record is exactly what was predicted; a fringe playoff team.

This isn't a team capable of being a top 3 seed in the west. Yet.

This fanbase needs to realize how lucky they are to have players like Bo, Petey, Boes and Hughes leading the team.

Imagine being a Minnesota fan or even a Detroit fan for that matter. Our young core is miles ahead of those teams.

Petey is no Crosby where at age 21 he would lead us to the cup. 

Hughes is barely 20 and Brock is only 22. 

Good things will happen soon. 

Part of this fanbase doesn’t deserve a Pettersson, Boeser or Hughes... they are desperate to find something to moan about. Did the same about the Sedins... And AV... 

Lets fire Green and get an experienced coach in. Yeah right. Babcock was supposed to be the best since sliced bread....How well did that work out for Leafs... 

This team is a bubble team. If they finish in the bottom of the standings Green is gone, and he may even be at the end of the season anyway, but unless they really crap the bed, I don’t see that happening. Could care less about whether Green is the coach or not, but surely management understand, how it works for young players...

And you hardly hire a rookie NHL coach and don’t expect there to be made mistakes. They are all still learning, all be it now with quality young players. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Part of this fanbase doesn’t deserve a Pettersson, Boeser or Hughes... they are desperate to find something to moan about. Did the same about the Sedins... And AV... 

Lets fire Green and get an experienced coach in. Yeah right. Babcock was supposed to be the best since sliced bread....How well did that work out for Leafs... 

This team is a bubble team. If they finish in the bottom of the standings Green is gone, and he may even be at the end of the season anyway, but unless they really crap the bed, I don’t see that happening. Could care less about whether Green is the coach or not, but surely management understand, how it works for young players...

And you hardly hire a rookie NHL coach and don’t expect there to be made mistakes. They are all still learning, all be it now with quality young players. 

Well said ^ to everyone above.

The last line is something relevant in this particular comment.  An important aspect, apart from systems and coaching, is how your players respond to the coach.  If they respect and even like him, he has something to work with....if not, they're tuning him out.  I think Travis has this group and that's important.  Bring in another "experienced" coach and those dynamics could change.  The personal interactions off the ice supports what happens on the ice and a coach who is patient and understands the level and lack of experience in his group isn't freaking out.

Patience is the key here.  Don't get too high or too low on a game by game (or even a stretch of games) basis.  The year will give us a good idea of where we're at...then it's more likely time to look at what needs changing, if anything.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Well said ^ to everyone above.

The last line is something relevant in this particular comment.  And, the thing is, one of the things as important as systems and coaching is how your players respond to you.  If they respect and even like you - because, if not, they're tuning you out.  I think Travis has this group and that's important.  Bring in another "experienced" coach and those dynamics could change.

Patience is the key here.  Don't get too high or too low on a game by game (or even a stretch of games) basis.  The year will give us a good idea of where we're at...then it's more likely time to look at what needs changing, if anything.

Cheers Deb... 

I believe this too... I think the younger core likes and thrives under Travis, and they feel united.

The outrage after the defeat to pens was way out of proportion. It was a bad day at the office for everyone, but it happens... I'd be surprised if we saw similar capitulations from this group in a few years from now. 

Fact is people learn most about them selves, when the chips are down, and this team learned a lot about themselves Wednesday... And I do believe Green did as well... It will stand them in good stead in the future.

Maybe an experienced coach will be needed at some stage, it may even have been the plan all along, but I don't think it will happen yet. 

Edited by spook007
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well said. Especially learning when the chips are down and how that pays off in the future. 

With how things are shaping up on our roster, I've found myself reflecting on the dynamics of the 80s Oilers before they became so dominant. I'm not saying we are that, or will be that, but that young core went through losing, making mistakes, and overcoming adversity together before realizing their potential.

The first two seasons in the league were losing records. It wasn't until their 4th season together that they got to the Cup but lost 4 straight to the Islanders. Their 5th season they won the Cup to start their era. 

My point is ... that core Oilers team was so young and talented but it took time, experience, losing, and overcoming adversity to realize their potential.

With Hughes now on the team with Petey, Boeser, Demko, along with Bo, Miller, Gaudette ... plus better role guys ... in some way it reminds me of those early Oilers in year one of entering the league. It's just taken us a while to get the next core together to start growing and learning together.

These hard losses and implosions against the Caps, Pens, Flyers, Rangers, and battles like St. Louis are necessary for our young guys to experience as they mature. Think about it ... you can't really learn not to implode in third periods unless you experience what it's like to implode. The learning is in between. 

Good call. Exactly my point...

Who knows, where all this leads to, but there likely comes a day, where they will be faced with a similar dilemma...

And at that stage, what happen against Pens, may be, what makes them pull through... both players and coach...

Without a doubt the players and staff were all as disappointed, as we were, but it is still, how they react to adversity, that will define, what they will eventually become... hopefully...

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think a lot of this boils down to the question "How long until the Canucks are contenders".

There was a thread about it not too long ago, interesting read once you got past the nay-sayers on the first page.  I was of the opinion that the Canucks would be a threat in about 2 years.  So far I have seen nothing that would change my opinion on that fact.  

That isn't too bad for how long i've waited for the boys to bring a Cup home, and at least a good portion of the games are at least semi exciting to watch now.  Remember watching Megna get gifted ice by WD?  That was not fun to watch.  Now there is some life, now there is some fun.  Ups and downs?  Certainly, but that is what you get with a younger core.  If they end up making the playoffs, that is a good season and something i'd like to see...but not necessary for me to enjoy the team I have supported since I was a kid.

Now in 2 more seasons?  Then my scrutinizing becomes much more critical.

• Cheers 3

I predicted the Canucks would win the Cup in 2022/23 I believe. Just for fun obviously, and it could still happen. But I guess they have to be good enough to make the playoffs first. They aren't a playoff team yet heading into 2020. Oh well, fun watching Hughes and Pettersson anyway.  

On 11/28/2019 at 12:37 AM, ruilin96 said:

There have been a significant amount of negativity among the Canucks fanbase all across the internet recently. Not going to lie, the Canucks are not good lately. They have trouble winning games and lately, they seem to find ways to lose games. However, in this post, let's take a step back and see how far this team has come over the past few seasons.

Let's go back to the dreadful 2016-17 season. For the Canucks, that was a miserable season. The Canucks finished the year with a record of 30-43-9 by a total of 69 points. It was a terrible season for many reasons. Personally, I remember watching the Canucks got shut-out in 3 straight games; watching depth players/AHL regular players such as Megna, Chaput, Skille, Cramarossa etc. taking up regular roster spots. The team as a whole generated very little value in terms of entertainment. Bo Horvat was the only bright spot on the roster that season (although Boeser join the team very late in the season, but at that point he is still more of an unknown at the NHL level). In comparison to many other teams top-star young players, Bo wasn't quite at their level (this is to no disrespect of Bo). There were also some younger players on the bubble such Sven Baertchi, Markus Granlund and Troy Stecher etc. that were on our roster, and the fanbase really hope atleast 1 or 2 of these players will be able to take that next step and be a consistent top 6 forward or top 4 defenceman at the NHL level. That season, the Canucks finished 2nd last in the NHL. If it wasn't for a historically bad season from an extremely underachieved Colorado Avalanche, the Canucks, likely finished last overall. The narrative at the end of the season was, the Canucks need to rebuild. The Canucks need to "play the kids." Many fans wanted players such as Goldobin, Gaudette, Demko etc. to be given a roster spot as soon as next season, because we want to "play the kids."

The 2017-18 season was a slight improvement record wise in comparison to the 2016-17 season. The Canucks finished the season with a record of 31-40-11, improving by only 4 points (only 1 more win) in comparison to the pervious season, the overall sentiment among the fanbase is very different. That year, we saw a young rookie by the name of Brock Boeser coming into the league, took the NHL by surprise, scoring 29 goals in 62 games and finished 2nd place in the Calder Trophy voting; on top of that, it was fun watching Boeser being named to the NHL All-Stars, winning the accuracy shooting contest among the best shooters in the league and adding an All-Star MVP title to his belt. Although the Canucks finished with a very similar overall record than the previous year and only winning 1 more game, it did felt like the Canucks have won more than just that. In fact, as I was suprised to find that the Canucks only won 1 more game than they did in 2016-17 because it felt like we won atleast 5 more. Again at the end of the season, knowing that the Sedins will retire, the fanbase once again wanted to inject more youth into the line-up. More younger players in the line up the better. And I have read posts stating roster spots should be "given" to the kids as soon as next season.

The 2018-19 season was the first season since 1999-2000 season we will not see a pair of familiar and identical faces on our roster. Most sources projected the Canucks to be one of the teams to finish absolute last in the league. Where will the goals come from without the Sedins? What was Jim Benning doing signing players like Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel? And last season, we witness the debut of our very own and very special player, Elias Pettersson. Pettersson stormed out of the gates with 10 goals in his first 10 career games and carried onto have a signifcant rookie campaign. Pettersson brought in something the fanbase desperately needed argubly since 2011 - that is hope. The Canucks were fighting for a wildcard spot for the majority of the season until the wheels finally fell off near the end of the year. The team was playing meaningful games and took a major step forward. We start to see the development of a new core group of players.

Here we are today, almost 2 months into the 2019-2020 season, the Canucks are still currently sitting in a playoff spot. They have played some games where they look absolutely amazing, dominating the opponent from start to finish and we also have seen some very terrible efforts like the ones we have seen recently. However, there is one thing we have to realize is we have got our wish. We are playing the kids in the line-up. The current top 5 scorers on the Canucks are: Pettersson (31 pts in 26 GP), Miller (26 pts in 26 GP), Boeser (24 pts in 26 GP), Hughes (21 pts in 25 GP) and Horvat (20 pts in 26 GP). Four of the top 5 scorers on the team are young players drafted and developed by the club and they are the ones leading the charge. We have finally got what we wished for line-up wise: a team consist of a core made up of Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Hughes with Thatcher Demko getting some quality back-up goaltender games in net. This has been the type of line-up we have all been hoping for in years. The torched has been passed, Bo is now the new captain of the team (another thing the fans wanted for a long time). This team is now at the hands of these "kids" we have always hoped to see in the line-up. And they are the best players on the team, and they are leading the charge.

However, we have to remember, these players are still young and with young players, it comes with excitement, and with young players, it also comes with inconsistencies. We have to understand that just because they are in the line-up now and they are putting up good numbers statistically, it doesn't mean they do not have deficiencies in their games.  We will have to understand that there will be stretches (like the one we currently have right now) where the team is not very good. And we will also have stretches when the team is very dominant (like what we had in October). Regardless, this team is now at the hands of the young players. We either sink or swim with them, and whereever this team finish in the standings, it depends on them. For this very reason, I think the Canucks have made a giant leap forward this season. The young players have shown what they are capable of when they are on their game, and they give us glimpses what it could be for years to come. We just have to be patient and show support and tolerence when the team does not perform well in stretches.

Our best players are still under-25, which means there are still room for them to improve. It took Mackinnon 4 full seasons in the NHL before he broke out in his 5th season and become the player he is now; it took Leon Draisaitl the same number of seasons before he is who he is today. What is very encouraging is that Pettersson seems to be well-ahead of Mackinnon was when he was at the same age and I can't wait to see what Pettersson can be in 2 years time. Brock Boeser is getting a lot of flack from the fanbase right now (yet he is still scoring at 24 pts in 26 GP rate), however, who is to say isn't a more complete player and dynamite goal scorer in 2 years? Bo Horvat is the new captain and put a lot on his shoulders and has been improving every year. Quinn Huges is an absolute suprise as if one were to tell me that Hughes gets 21 points in his first 25 games before the start of the season, I would not have believed them and here we are, his career just got started. Wonder how much he better he can be by the time he is 25? Demko had a fantastic start but had 2 rough games lately, but he had shown many signs of a future #1 goalie and he will learn from the bad games he played.

Our fantastic October had led to us to believe that the Canucks has "arrived." November is more of a reality check and market correction of where the team is at overall. We are not contenders, atleast, not yet. We can't expect the team to go in and dominate every game like an elite cup contender would. Hopefully, we will get there one day. The Canucks are still a work in progress, but we have came a long way since the end of the 2016-17 season. No more are we watching Michael Chaput, Jayson Megna, Jack Skille and Philip Larsen etc. Instead we get to see Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser, JT Miller and Quinn Hughes on a nightly bases. We have came a long way. This team is much more entertaining to watch than the team we had 3 seasons ago, and over the course of the last 3 seasons, the team is icing a more exciting team to watch each year. I will always get behind this team and cheer them on.

Image may contain: 6 people

The future is here, let's enjoy the ride from peaks and valleys together, Go Canucks Go! 

Fantastic post. Thanks for injecting some positivity into a dark part of the season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Horrible excuse, 3 guys were in the lineup when we blew a 4 goal lead to Washington.

Yes, and Washington is one of the best 5 teams in the league.  

We are going to blow many more leads. If this is going to annoy you then you may as well take a 2 or 3 seasons break from watching the Canucks.  

People think that this is a math equation that you make a mistake on once and then learn your lesson right away.  Our young Canucks will need years of experience to become a great team that closes out games and contends for a cup.  It's not going to happen over a three week stretch. 

On 11/28/2019 at 5:53 PM, Bertuzzi44ever said:

You make a valid point but then where does the blame go? At the end of your point you point to depth, or lack thereof rather then Luck due to injuries. Personally I don’t think the penguins are that deep at forward last night, outside makkin and guentzel.

i mean every team has a group of great forwards, your suggesting that our bottton 6 forwArds are a bigger loss then Sidney Crosby who is a hart trophy winner? Come on. 

no just missing two centers that take the majority of the faceoffs and that are  good defensively  , so that just leaves bo doing all the faceoffs no wonder he is gassed , gaudette  was o for what on faceoffs against the pens, petey was like 30 % on f.o. .  kind of hard to defend the lead when you don't have the puck to start with , malkin ate our centers alive  if we had sutter or beagle  that wouldn't of happened .  

then were are missing  our edge players   motte Roussel ferland  guys that hit forecheck  they don't make it easy on the other team , ya they may not be Sidney Crosby  but they are still valuable pieces , 1 star  vs 5 starting forwards  easier to replace one guy vs 5 guys wouldn't you say  ,  ya the bottom 6 is just as important as the top six , yep because the bottom 6 play against the top 6   hmm 6 -5 = 1   1 starter from the bottom 6 is playing   ya that would hurt any team   

Edited by the grinder

The facts:

Canucks is better than last year. It seems the rebuilding started after Sedins retired, the time of getting this result is great.

The results of Nov is worse than Oct. due to injuries. This is not an excuse but the fact. Other teams face the same but not affecting this is the fact of worse result.

Young players are inconsistence, but with the injuries back.  It would be improved.

The Hopes:

After the injuries back, we will back to Oct level win percentage.

If Olli and Tree join the lineup later, our D group will be improved.

Finally, I think Green is the right coach of the team at the current stage.

We only need BN to deal the Loui issue.

Canucks has great opportunity becoming a playoff team this season.

• Upvote 1

Professional sport is intended to be there for our entertainment, whatever one's specific preference is. This season, watching the Canucks I've been more thoroughly entertained than I have for a long time, and that includes times when the Sedins were there weaving their magic but unfortunatly at times without much help and backup. Sure this season there's been nights when the final whistle is eagerly awaited, but on the whole I can't help feeling that this team is headed for something special, as many have said on this site, just look down the pipeline and see what is coming up in the next couple of seasons. I can almost taste dynasty.

Edited by ynwa
  • Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

LWell said. Especially learning when the chips are down and how that pays off in the future. 

With how things are shaping up on our roster, I've found myself reflecting on the dynamics of the 80s Oilers before they became so dominant. I'm not saying we are that, or will be that, but that young core went through losing, making mistakes, and overcoming adversity together before realizing their potential.

The first two seasons in the league were losing records. It wasn't until their 4th season together that they got to the Cup but lost 4 straight to the Islanders. Their 5th season they won the Cup to start their era. 

My point is ... that core Oilers team was so young and talented but it took time, experience, losing, and overcoming adversity to realize their potential.

With Hughes now on the team with Petey, Boeser, Demko, along with Bo, Miller, Gaudette ... plus better role guys ... in some way it reminds me of those early Oilers in year one of entering the league. It's just taken us a while to get the next core together to start growing and learning together.

These hard losses and implosions against the Caps, Pens, Flyers, Rangers, and battles like St. Louis are necessary for our young guys to experience as they mature. Think about it ... you can't really learn not to implode in third periods unless you experience what it's like to implode. The learning is in between. 

Absolutely.  Learning these lessons now will also help them once they do make the playoffs.  The team knows they are good enough to go head to head with the best in the league - shot for shot - chance per chance.   

Sure it would great if they just didn't lose at all ever...really great.  EDM took years for it all to come together (and it's not for sure yet either) .... but it's a good demonstration of what a prime McDsvid and Draisatl can do compared to a 18-21 year old version.    These guys will learn and get better together...in the meantime enjoy the show.  It's one of two or three times in our history we've been in a somewhat similar situation.  

Also all three of our previous best teams went through the same things.   89-1993...WCE but their best season was derailed before they could do anything in the playoffs about their lessons.  And the Sedin teams finally beat CHI (like CAL did one year against EDM in 86). 

Team needs to figure out how to play with a lead more then anything - that and fast starts.   Once those things are above average the rest will sort it itself out. 

• Cheers 3

40 minutes ago, IBatch said:

EDM took years for it all to come together (and it's not for sure yet either) ..

I know no one looks at WHY it is taking them so long, the team got adjusted, used to losing, they had to or they would go nuts or the would start giving up.

The leaned heavy on the youngest players too much.

Wow, they are out of the playoffs now and December hasn't begun. The team is due for an injury or two to a core player.

5/6 wins in December, 4 OTL's

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.  Learning these lessons now will also help them once they do make the playoffs.  The team knows they are good enough to go head to head with the best in the league - shot for shot - chance per chance.   

Sure it would great if they just didn't lose at all ever...really great.  EDM took years for it all to come together (and it's not for sure yet either) .... but it's a good demonstration of what a prime McDsvid and Draisatl can do compared to a 18-21 year old version.    These guys will learn and get better together...in the meantime enjoy the show.  It's one of two or three times in our history we've been in a somewhat similar situation.  

Also all three of our previous best teams went through the same things.   89-1993...WCE but their best season was derailed before they could do anything in the playoffs about their lessons.  And the Sedin teams finally beat CHI (like CAL did one year against EDM in 86). 

Team needs to figure out how to play with a lead more then anything - that and fast starts.   Once those things are above average the rest will sort it itself out. 

Agree completely. As cliche as it sounds, losing really is part of the process. It's invaluable and necessary. And I almost forgot about those battles with Chicago. It seemed like beating them was impossible. 

I think what's made it even more frustrating as a fan is that we had to endure all of the losing from the previous core following the 2011 run. The slow decline toward rebuilding was a different type of losing. To such an eventual point where we had trouble scoring two goals a game.

Looking back, in relation to what you mention above, I'm not so sure our previous core guys post-2014 knew they were good enough. They may have believed they were but knowing they were is different.

At least the losing we experience now at this stage of the new core is on the side of hope and positivity. These guys are only going to get better.