The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Starting out my 6 month workout journey!

CanucksFan#21

51 minutes ago, riffraff said:

See a health practitioner who will ensure you are doing this the right way.

22 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Find the work out thread.

CDC has a lot of great advice and motivation.

For me a key is to find a way to be consistent.

Screw the 6 month journey, get on the path and enjoy it for the rest of your life.

You can do this, good luck. 

7 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Ignore the 6 month target

The journey you have started should last a lifetime 

Exactly all of this. One thing I heard when I started was, “If you make it to 6 months straight of working out, you likely won’t quit afterwards.” 

Working out is, as said, the journey. Getting someone to craft a workout for you, as well as making sure you have the correct form so you won’t get injured, is worth all the money it costs. The goal is that you’ll still be doing it, not that you feel overwhelmed at the beginning and decide to quit.

You’ve got this!

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, CanucksFan#21 said:

Hello,

I fully expect to get some poked and jabbed at but I'm going to risk posting anyways so come at me anyways!

Recently, I went on a hike and just couldn't keep up with my friend who was with me and it was just pretty eye opening. I used to always be able to do hikes/sports/exercise pretty easily but this just completely destroyed me. So when I got back home I decided to go to the gym and weigh in and really surprised that I was 340 pounds :( . For being 29 and still having some of my "youth" years, I really want to change my lifestyle. Luckily I'm really tall at 6'3 so my weight is somewhat well proportioned but still it's just making me really unhappy. I want to give myself a somewhat reasonable goal so I'm making some major adjustments I just wanted some advice/criticism on what you guys think.

-Changing my eating habits to include much more vegetables as opposed to the processed type foods

-Setting a fairly consistent "bedtime". I don't want to be awake any later then say 10:30pm to 11pm and waking up now daily at 5am so I can go to the gym really early.

-Gym 5-7 days a week.

-Weighing in once a week to make sure that I'm on track with my weight loss.

I'm hoping to lose around 100 pounds in 6 months, but I don't know if that's an realistic goal or not. Was wondering if anybody else has had an extreme weight loss goal and achieved it and what sort of side effects will I experience? I've heard I could have saggy skin but I don't know if I'm young enough that I can recover from that.

Anyways, looking forward to some responses! Sorry for the life story but I'm feeling pretty motivated and excited to start a new chapter.

EDIT: Thank's so much you guys. This might sound cheesy and I know that this forum is a small minority but having the support of your city really means a lot. Not just doing it for me anymore. Thank you Vancouver and I'll do my best and I hope maybe I encouraged some other people too.

Some GREAT advice up there (mostly, make sure to get your doctor on board with your plan).

Also...pace yourself.  If you go for the gusto in huge leaps you may burn out.  Don't treat this like a sprint with a final destination, treat it like a lifestyle change that's forever and ongoing.  If you go too hard you may burn out so also remember to celebrate little victories and not focus too much on setting the bar too high too quickly.  

Learn how to gauge your heartrate and other monitors to ensure your plan is safely executed.  Warm up, cool down (and stretch).

Some huge things that matter over time can actually be small changes that are made.  Moderation in all things.

Don't use the scale too much as THE guide and consider overall body changes that you see (and feel) as part of it.  The scale can fluctuate and really demotivate at times.  Be ready for surges that can be followed by plateaus....understand that it happens.  

Change things up a lot and have a variety of "exercise" as part of your plan.  Not "just" gym and done.  Use stairs and walk as much as possible.  Bike if you're able.  Use every opportunity you can to sneak in exercise rather than just program it.  People often think it has to be dramatic but that's more short term...you want long term goals and changes.  Play tennis.  Baseball.  Go rowing.  Anything that gets you moving should be incorporated into your healthy lifestyle.  Not to add pressure by saying you have to do these things....just have options and mix it up to keep things fun and motivating.

Drink a lot of water.  Give up sugary drinks (that can be huge).  

Prepare food rather than eating out because you don't want all the fat and sodium and you can see what you're actually putting into your body.  Also avoid processed foods as much as possible and don't be taken by labels of "low fat" or other things that can be deceiving.  Perimeter shop for real (simple) food - it's actually quite easy to eat healthy.  I chop up a variety of veggies for snacking at work...I actually crave them, now, over salty foods (like chips/crackers).  Read labels and if there are tons of ingredients, give it a pass or have on occasion only.

Mostly be easy on yourself and really listen to your body.  If you feel tired on a workout day, it's ok to rest instead.  Years ago I was obsessed with working out...so much so that I crawled out of bed once at 2 am to hop on my stepper because "I forgot" to fit in a workout (when I was overwhelmed with other life events).  That was crazy.  I completely burnt out because, well, I had two sick parents, two young kids and I was pushing too hard.  I didn't back things off in order to go into self preservation mode when I needed to and it was detrimental to my overall health at that point.  

So try to enjoy this journey because that will be a huge key to your success.  Don't think of it as "dieting" but, rather, changing to a long term (forever) healthy lifestyle.  Eat a piece of cake now and then to satisfy a craving...it's not the end of the world or threatening to your program.  Only if it becomes a pattern.  

Good luck.  There's a work out thread so I'm going to close this and encourage you to go there so we can share your journey with you.  Way to go!!  It's a very supportive thread and I think you'll get a lot out of it.  Don't be intimidated (as some of the discussion is aimed at hardcore "training" and fitness regimes)....everyone is welcome and all levels of fitness are encouraged, supported and worthy of inclusion:

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/344135-the-workout-thread/

• Upvote 1

• -DLC- locked this topic