The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

what do you really want,

Rate this topic

smithers joe

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I hate "stuff" now and see most as just clutter.

Everything I treasure I've got...mostly pics of my family and pets.   And my Canucks memorabilia (of course).

My daughter makes beautiful jewelry (even helped Burr make something with his daughter once...proud Mama moment) - so anything created by her is my favourite.  Although I'm often too scared to wear it for fear of losing it.  

But I'm all about the experiences now so always tell my family to donate to my favourite animal rescues (Rabbitats, Bandaids for Bunnies and Save Nosey Now...but she's in a sanctuary so it's on to the next elephant who needs freeing from a life of slavery in the circus).

I get a good feeling from that stuff...more so than any material thing that can be bought and that I likely don't need.

I'm in line with this way of thinking. We've been downsizing for the last couple of years and as we shed more crap the happier we are. We have it down to the point where we use everything we have and now have a rule that we have to get rid of something to bring in some thing new. 

All I really want for next year is for my family to be safe and happy and some good snow days, and of course a nice run for the Canucks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

As I've gotten older I find I don't really want anything. I am thinking that might be an age thing.

Best gift I ever got for xmas was a guitar - I was 14 - I wanted one so badly and could not believe I got one Christmas morning

Now here is the kicker - I never did learn to play the damn thing

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

As I've gotten older I find I don't really want anything. I am thinking that might be an age thing.

Best gift I ever got for xmas was a guitar - I was 14 - I wanted one so badly and could not believe I got one Christmas morning

Now here is the kicker - I never did learn to play the damn thing

i bought a banjo and mandelin and learned to play neither. now my grandson will get them when i’m gone. his guitar is still here too, so maybe someday he’ll take all three.

• Like 4

My second drum kit. 

I thought the big boxes were lawn statues for my dad.

They were for me.

7 piece double bass drum, black Pearl drums. I couldn't believe it, I didn't think my folks could afford them. They had saved and pulled off the biggest surprise of my young life.

Now , I just want more time with my wife and to learn more about this existence before I'm done here.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My second drum kit. 

I thought the big boxes were lawn statues for my dad.

They were for me.

7 piece double bass drum, black Pearl drums. I couldn't believe it, I didn't think my folks could afford them. They had saved and pulled off the biggest surprise of my young life.

Now , I just want more time with my wife and to learn more about this existence before I'm done here.  

i’ld love to have more time with my wife, but i’ll have to wait awhile longer. did you have a sound proof room or did you play in the garage?

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i’ld love to have more time with my wife, but i’ll have to wait awhile longer. did you have a sound proof room or did you play in the garage?

Great question!

Garage, we were rural so the neighbours didn't complain but my dad would pop his head in once in a while to give me that look that suggested practice time is over. 

I played a lot... even had a cup of coffee as a pro drummer with a band on a major label once I graduated. 

I found a painting of a first nations drummer that he gave me when our band signed our deal. I have recently bought the last house he had owned. Seeing the painting brought tears to my eyes. It will go up on the wall in what will always be 'dads' house. He was such a good man. I owe a lot to him. 

• Upvote 2

A leather jacket, but that won't happen til I can make my way over to the mainland sometime in the spring. I've from Campbell River to Victoria looking for something that strikes my fancy this year and I've had no luck. 

Gift that's given me the most pleasure? Probably the PS2 I got way back when, I'd already played N64 and various gameboys prior to getting it but the PS2 is what really got me into gaming. Could be the old lego and playmobile sets I'd get when I was younger too, imagination is a helluva thing. 

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

my baseball glove is 69 years old, leather rotted away. i have string holding it all together. it is the only thing i still have from my youth, except the memories, i cherish. 

I love old, worn out stuff....my "DP step" (for aerobics) was bought when I was training to be an instructor many moons ago.  Hung on to that baby until it literally wore out (mostly because I used it on my deck and it got rained on).  It squeaked and rattled but felt like home.  Got a new one and damn near fell off it (it's a good time to say they don't make 'em like they used to).

The same with my water ski....a Jobe honeycomb that was super snaky but I couldn't ski on anything but.

Hmmm, maybe I'd want some new workout equipment.  If I had to ask Santa for something.  

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Great question!

Garage, we were rural so the neighbours didn't complain but my dad would pop his head in once in a while to give me that look that suggested practice time is over. 

I played a lot... even had a cup of coffee as a pro drummer with a band on a major label once I graduated. 

I found a painting of a first nations drummer that he gave me when our band signed our deal. I have recently bought the last house he had owned. Seeing the painting brought tears to my eyes. It will go up on the wall in what will always be 'dads' house. He was such a good man. I owe a lot to him. 

we’ld love to see that picture. can you put it on line.?

• Upvote 1