The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sean Avery says former Kings coach Marc Crawford kicked him during a game

Rate this topic

smokes

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

You say that as if time somehow makes the impact less for everyone. Did you even read the Franzen bit? 

So things were different back in your day, fancy that. I'm sure generations prior to yours could say the same thing. Segregation was acceptable at one point, slaves even. Homosexuality was a crime at one point, in some countries it still is. What's socially acceptable changes, you don't have to like it but things change all the same.

Things that crosses the line nowadays is far from crossing the line ten years ago. If people are going to judge and jury this then do so with people now and not ten years ago. Can you imagine if everyone who got impacted by someone else negatively from ten years ago till now coming out and telling their stories so everyone can judge? The internet would crash.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, smokes said:

This is over ten years ago and things that were accepted back then is different than what is accepted now. Back in my day a kick in the butt from a coach or a lashing from coach, teacher or a boss wasn't such a big deal. We dealt with it and moved on. It's different nowadays where when people get their feelings hurt, they need to go see a psychiatrist.

10 years ago isn't really back then.  That is 2009-10 and smacking players was still unacceptable.  However, Crow played his hockey in the 70s and early 80s and you can bet he didn't invent the kick in the back.   Hockey until recently was a very violent sport and that culture obviously wasn't just regulated to the ice.  Surprised that people seem to be shocked that hockey has a brutish side to it.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, smokes said:

Things that crosses the line nowadays is far from crossing the line ten years ago. If people are going to judge and jury this then do so with people now and not ten years ago. Can you imagine if everyone who got impacted by someone else negatively from ten years ago till now coming out and telling their stories so everyone can judge? The internet would crash.

It's no simple thing, it just isn't. It's a complicated can of worms and there's no simple solution or answer. Should people be punished for a tweet they made ten years ago? I don't have a definitive answer for you. Should someone lose their job for a poor decision or a series of poor decisions? Should sins of the past be judged on present societal ideas of what is and isn't okay? You're going to get different answers relating to different scenarios from all sorts of people. 

In this case though these are professional coaches working in a very limited pool of jobs associated with what is a global brand, the NHL. These aren't just journeymen and fringe guys speaking up about abuse either, many of these players have had respectable careers and won championships. Some of them were stars. The NHL can't ignore that, and neither can clubs. And they aren't. Calgary was very quick to investigate Peters and handled in in what I thought was a professional manner, they didn't drag him through the mud. Chicago's quickly investigating too and they'll likely take a similar approach. The NHL, the Flames, the Hawks. These are brands and they will protect their interests. And I highly doubt abusing players was socially acceptable ten years ago.

Hockey culture is changing, what's expected from coaches will change in turn. I guarantee coaches at all sorts of levels have been paying attention the last couple weeks. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

My old man used to regularly get smacked by teachers for being left handed.  In my early years of schooling kids who acted up were given the belt or ruler - these were not symbolic beatings.  It was completely accepted in the 70s and 80s for teachers to verbally abuse students in the worst ways.  If you complained it just made it worse - kids in that period at least where I went to school had no voice what so ever.  If you stuck out, challenged or had a bad day you would be crushed in the worst way by teachers. 

The least credible player to have played in the last 20 years. His personal rap sheet is ridiculous. Remember him suspended for “sloppy seconds “

I’m surprised the Blackhawks have even bothered to conduct an investigation. He was wearing hockey pads and standing up. Old Crow must kick like Bruce Lee. I thought we were free from this idiot , but he’s come crawling back.

Owww...the coach tapped my shoulder for a line change.....

Avery has pretty much zero credibility considering the crap he dished out. 

Sopel, perhaps. 

If it was Markus Naslund that was complaining, that's different. He's a total straight shooter, I'd listen to what he'd say. 

36 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's no simple thing, it just isn't. It's a complicated can of worms and there's no simple solution or answer. Should people be punished for a tweet they made ten years ago? I don't have a definitive answer for you. Should someone lose their job for a poor decision or a series of poor decisions? Should sins of the past be judged on present societal ideas of what is and isn't okay? You're going to get different answers relating to different scenarios from all sorts of people. 

In this case though these are professional coaches working in a very limited pool of jobs associated with what is a global brand, the NHL. These aren't just journeymen and fringe guys speaking up about abuse either, many of these players have had respectable careers and won championships. Some of them were stars. The NHL can't ignore that, and neither can clubs. And they aren't. Calgary was very quick to investigate Peters and handled in in what I thought was a professional manner, they didn't drag him through the mud. Chicago's quickly investigating too and they'll likely take a similar approach. The NHL, the Flames, the Hawks. These are brands and they will protect their interests. And I highly doubt abusing players was socially acceptable ten years ago.

Hockey culture is changing, what's expected from coaches will change in turn. I guarantee coaches at all sorts of levels have been paying attention the last couple weeks.

At most ten years ago a coach might get a talking to by the GM or a fine but cancel culture nowadays. The punishments just doesn't fit the crime.

49 minutes ago, smokes said:

At most ten years ago a coach might get a talking to by the GM or a fine but cancel culture nowadays. The punishments just doesn't fit the crime.

I don't view this as cancel culture, I see it as a potential culture shift. Some players were treated a certain way and they've begun to speak up about it. It's akin to the stances on concussions that have become more apparent the last ten years or so, hits and actions that were acceptable back in the 90' and 2000's s aren't supposed to be anymore (someone tell the disciplinary jokers). It just seems to be going that way with coaching conduct now. It also comes down to optics, and whether that's fair or not brands and business still take it into consideration. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Babcock, despite all the things that have been said about him he's got 700 wins under his belt and that's compelling. 

1 hour ago, samurai said:

My old man used to regularly get smacked by teachers for being left handed.  In my early years of schooling kids who acted up were given the belt or ruler - these were not symbolic beatings.  It was completely accepted in the 70s and 80s for teachers to verbally abuse students in the worst ways.  If you complained it just made it worse - kids in that period at least where I went to school had no voice what so ever.  If you stuck out, challenged or had a bad day you would be crushed in the worst way by teachers. 

exactly  go back to the 80.s and 70,s there was no such thing as child abuse  it was never  talk about  in school  , you know why because the teacher could legally give you a whack , and if your parents found out  guess what another whack .   

16 hours ago, Industrious1 said:

Let the Witch Hunt begin!

my thought exactly. This could be like the Royal Rumble, put all the NHL coaches, Assitant Coaches, FOrmer coaches in the ring and see who is the last man standing.

First over  the top rope, Don Cherry

Second, Bill Peters

Third, Crow

Get your resumes ready boys and girls, there are jobs opening up in the NHL!

10 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

living in a glass house throwing stones gets little sympathy

or saying sloppy seconds publicly

10 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Crawford kicked Sean Avery!

Should fire every coach who hasn't kicked that prick

Yeah, it's incredibly difficult to muster any feeling, other than "whatever", on this one. On ice play, I've never understood why people "dislike" players. They all have specific roles, and they all have varying degrees of "how" they play, in order to be effective. That's why I like the playing style of guys like Brad Marchand, Alex Burrows, etc. Those guys that are pests and play on the edge, but also a massive irritant, is how I play in order to be effective.

However, the issue with Sean Avery is that it was all the other nonsense. You rarely, if ever, hear ex-players bad talk teammates or other players, as they know how they played was part of the game and not personal. However, when you have ex teammates and players talking about Avery's negative personality and how he'd treat people, it's hard when something like this comes out of his lips (ie: Crawford) to care at all. 

We all come across people in our lives when we meet them where we say, "Nope. Not pursuing that relationship any further. One interaction was more than enough. Don't need that in my life." Avery has come across as an absolute goof. My eldest brother is similar. We say, "Nobody likes to hear Chris talk more than Chris." 

Keep talking, Sean. We know you're listening.

• Upvote 1