The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The rising NHL powerhouse that Jim Benning constructed

Rate this topic

aGENT

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd agree here. I think great times are ahead, but due to the core already in place, not the future prospects. Our prospect pool is solidly mediocre now that so many great players have graduated from it. 

The prospect pool discussion is usually the most interesting.

Poster vs Poster wars too. 

These are good good times to be a fan. I’ve enjoyed all out building phases since the late 80’s when I understood what that was as a yong player. Enjoy! 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Revisionist History

Some analysts believed he was rushed into the NHL, resulting in lost confidence while playing for a struggling Leafs team. - Who are the core? How old?

the team requested that Benning be demoted to their International Hockey League affiliate Milwaukee Admirals, although he declined. - Tryamkin?

but was scratched again for the remainder of the season afterward due to the organization's belief that he was too small

Benning believed he was playing well, resulting in confusion between the two sides - Tryamkin? Dahlen?

You would think that his personal experiences would not allow some of those above mentioned things from happening

Jim Benning’s revisionist “rebuild” history doesn’t hold water

Let’s be clear right from the top: I’m not accusing Canucks GM Jim Benning of propaganda, and certainly not at the level of the totalitarian government of Orwell’s 1984. He did, however, try to revise a little history during his post-contract-renewal media scrum and encouraged a bit of doublethink.

It’s also not how Benning spoke at the time. Instead of taking the first-round playoff exit as a sign of a need to rebuild, Benning and his management team seemed to take making the playoffs at all as a sign they were moving in the right direction, at least publically. In an interview with Bob McKenzie heading into the 2015-16 season, Benning suggested the Canucks would once again be a 100-point team and make the playoffs thanks to an infusion of youth, speed, and toughn

*Publically*?! Is this that Drance clown?! Guy can't even spell a F***in' adverb, & I should respect his PROFESSIONAL writer's opinion?! Hmm, I prefer the OP's article, thank you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I enjoyed most of this - with the exception of making the declaration that most fans are either JB worshippers or JB haters.   I'd like to believe most are somewhere in between.   He has definitely drafted well...anyone who really gets drafting knows that.  The last couple of years his pro scouting seems to match the team a lot better which is also very promising.   Having a level head and patience enough to see the macro vision is lot harder to do as a fan...the highs and lows can hit pretty hard at times.  Overall I do think he's creating something special - which takes time.   Looking forward to waiting this one out - a lot of promise in the group of players - undeniable. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I'd agree here. I think great times are ahead, but due to the core already in place, not the future prospects. Our prospect pool is solidly mediocre now that so many great players have graduated from it. 

That generally occurs once you have a young core in place though. So I'm not sure that's something to particularly complain about...

And if you're not at least a little excited to see us add the likes of Hoglander, Pokolzin, Lind, Madden, Woo, Rathbone etc over the next few years and see how they do with helping to support that core... Might want to check your pulse.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Gawd, that’s depressing.

I try to forget those years, they were hell for me as a fan. 

As far as that piece, I suppose it was a typical post of mine during that time, but since then, I’ve flushed that turd and tried to just control what I can and that’s my enjoyment of the product. 

I can finally enjoy a tougher team with a spine and more character. So that’s what I do. 

To be honest, I can’t watch many full games anymore.

Its not just the Canucks either. Hockey is becoming what Cherry predicted it to be; an all star game. 

Boring. 

Nice click bait OP, but this article of yours is is a balance of that “building” aspect of it all. 

I cant talk much about this era or I get jaded and down the rabbit hole with posters sandbagging me for not nodding along to the campfire song of The jeenius of Jim Benning crap.

Mathew Tkachuk.

That is all. 

That the team is at last close to being able to create a dynasty type team is what is really scary because I don't have any confidence in Benning making the right moves or being very correct in move he does make. He appears to be looking or planning only at NEXT year at the farthest, no actual long term plan. Contracts and players he signs right now indicate a win now at any costs approach. If he was a draft and develop guy he would be more patient and more active in getting more draft picks and prospects. Sure he has three draft picks as a future core over 6 years but even on the bottom six he may have only two.

This thread is an entirely FANTASY thread with no reasoning. That BB, EP and QH will be good is no assurance of a dynasty in creation or even good drafting at that, every draft could have been done through the lists with even better results.

Before, years ago, the mantra was build through the draft, patience and Benning was a superior drafting GM, he would get MORE and better talent than other experienced GMs. Well Miller is a good player for the next 3 years and then? So trading away a potential BB, EP or QH  and the 8+ years they will be around vs 3 years is rebuilding for the future?

Here is a guesstimate;

Core players - BH, BB, QH, EP, NT, 2019 1rst, 2020 1rst, Demko, MD, in 3 years with JV, Guad, Mac, Lind, Madden, Holander and Woo.

Gone - Sutter, Pearson, Beagle, Ferland, Tanev, Edler, Markstrom, Schaller, Roussel, Benn, Erkisson,

The cap space saved in those contract coming off the books could be used to add to trades for higher picks, maybe even a couple of more 1rst rounders.

Tanev's value is soaring right now, TO, Edmonton or many other teams would love to get him as a shutdown dman.

Markstrom's value is high, again many teams are now looking for a 1 and 1A goalie duo, Montreal, Nashville, LA, Ana, TO, Detroit.

Staggered contracts

guesses

BH - 5.5 to 2024 -  next - 7.5 to 2030

BB - 5.8 to 2023 - next - 8/9 to 2031

EP - 7+? to 2025 - next - 11+ to 2032

QH - 5.75 to 2026 - next - 8/9 to 2035

Demko - 5/6 to 2024

2020 1rst - entry to 2023 or 2024

2021 1rst -  entry to  2024 or 2025

The true window opens in 2021 after the Seattle draft IF this management group can get enough cap space to make some deals that include more picks.They should try to free up 10 mil or more before that draft.

The two draft picks in 2020 are 2021 are essential to build a dynasty for 2022 to 2032 and some robbery trades like Tampa did for additional 1rst round steals.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

But then I see Juolevi and weep. 

#majorleagueflop

Or Mcann for gudbranson

tkachuk or ehlers over juolevi

myers and Eriksson 12 million...shivers

I stopped reading at how Virtanen and Stecher are untouchables.

we may be in a better position for the future then before but this only talks about what we have. What about the rest of the league whonya know...we have to play against.

because of draft skill being at a high and parity almost every team has a good promising cupboard of prospects On the ice. Have people even bothered to look at the pipelines for other teams? Are cupboard actually isn’t that great anymore since most have graduated and before people go LOL LOL Hollander woo DiPietro relax  meant compared to before when ep Gaudette Hughes Demko and them were in the cupboard. Most teams have guys like this in their Pipeine. I’m getting sick of the talk, I want to see it.

so yes calling us a future dynasty later a pipe dream until the. let’s make the playoffs first. We’re on pace for 37 wins which hasn’t got a team into the playoffs in this new format yet.

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what are the AVs without MacKinnon? Edmonton without McPouty? 

I like the resilience Jim's building into this thing. RIght now our bottom 6 is $&!#e and we can hold our own if ref's aren't' buying diving plays like Nurse last night. Once some more serious quality depth comes in over the next 2-3 seasons (Hoglander, Podkolzin, Rathbone for me in particular) this teams going to have as good a shot as most imo. 

No ones calling Edmonton and Colorado dynasty’s? And Colorado still has makar Bryam Rantanen landeskog kadri a pretty decent supporting cast

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

For me, I hope we don't lose too many players to Seattle.

When the Canucks started in the league the talent level was not what teams coming in have for talent picks.

Just look at Vegas,they went to the Stanley Cup Finals first season,must be nice right!

If we keep some kids in the AHL, Mikey D,, Olli J,. Nikolay G.,ETC.

THEN THEY WON'T GET TAKEN AWAY FROM US AT THE EXPANSION DRAFT.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what are the AVs without MacKinnon? Edmonton without McPouty? 

I like the resilience Jim's building into this thing. RIght now our bottom 6 is $&!#e and we can hold our own if ref's aren't' buying diving plays like Nurse last night. Once some more serious quality depth comes in over the next 2-3 seasons (Hoglander, Podkolzin, Rathbone for me in particular) this teams going to have as good a shot as most imo. 

That’s what it’s all about. 

If you get really lucky, maybe you can become a Washington, but mid-pack with upside is every bit as good once the playoffs start. 

Lind, etc... these aren’t the guys who we should cite as reasons the team expects to be a powerhouse in the future, thus kneel at the alter of JB. 

Be excited, if you want. Be thrilled even, but be realistic. 

Fantasy writing and Pom Pom waiving articles like this, just like their posting in a fan forum, is for predictable effect, more than it is about a qualitative approach to ranking a franchise’s likelihood of achieving Powerhouse connotations and handing out premature accolades to the GM. 

Its been fun. The PGT threads haven’t been. 

I’m hoping for some big trades before the Xmas break. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

That’s what it’s all about. 

If you get really lucky, maybe you can become a Washington, but mid-pack with upside is every bit as good once the playoffs start. 

Lind, etc... these aren’t the guys who we should cite as seasons the team expects to be a powerhouse in the future, thus kneel at the alter of JB. 

Be excited, if you want. Be thrilled even, but be realistic. 

Fantasy writing and Pom Pom waiving articles like this, just like their posting in a fan forum, is for predictable effect, more than it is about a qualitative approach to ranking a franchise’s likelihood of achieving Powerhouse connotations and handing out premature accolades to the GM. 

Its been fun. The PGT threads haven’t been. 

I’m hoping for some big trades before the Xmas break. 

be good enough to get into the playoffs but also be built for the grind of playoffs, thats what I want to see. Skill is awesome but we really need to add some more bigger bodies that can make a real impact. 

Its been interesting to see the MacEwan preview.... tbh not all that impressed, I don't think he's going to make this team next year. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

That would be a good start. But I think it would need to be supplemented with a crystal ball. Perhaps one of the "realistic fans" could lend JB one of theirs.

Alf's got a crystal ball! :lol:

I see Alf already made an appearance with his crystal ball.

Edited by BarnBurner

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

*Publically*?! Is this that Drance clown?! Guy can't even spell a F***in' adverb, & I should respect his PROFESSIONAL writer's opinion?! Hmm, I prefer the OP's article, thank you.

In the first OP,  "Benning eventually decided to follow in his pop’s foot-steps and take up scouting"

Its "footsteps" one word.  Now who ya gonna believe?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DADDYROCK said:

For me, I hope we don't lose too many players to Seattle.

When the Canucks started in the league the talent level was not what teams coming in have for talent picks.

Just look at Vegas,they went to the Stanley Cup Finals first season,must be nice right!

If we keep some kids in the AHL, Mikey D,, Olli J,. Nikolay G.,ETC.

THEN THEY WON'T GET TAKEN AWAY FROM US AT THE EXPANSION DRAFT.

Each team gets one player picked - unless for some reason they do a side deal which last time meant picks.  

Doesn't matter if guys are in the AHL or NHL -  if they meet the number of pro games they need to be protected - which includes OJ, Lind, NG etc..

My only worry is we sign Markstrom to a long term deal and leave him as bait..Seattle picks Holtby instead - we lose Lind or OJ or JV or someone else and we are in pickle with two goalies and no cap to keep them ... we need to go with Demko all the way but are stuck with JM no matter what.   

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, kilgore said:

In the first OP,  "Benning eventually decided to follow in his pop’s foot-steps and take up scouting"

Its "footsteps" one word.  Now who ya gonna believe?

Hy-phens are tricky-biz..I won't cast-i-gate a guy for 'dat!

Also tired of PITB moaning about the local team. So I'm very Biased :^)

• Cheers 3