The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Tanev for pick bring up Rafferty?

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Rafferty looks great in Utica, but now is not the time to be trading away good pieces to let kids play more. We're not a bottom-feeding team anymore and we need to keep good pieces if we want to have a shot at the playoffs.

I agree I have always loved Tanev's play without the puck and willingness to sacrifice his body, my fear is over the last 3 years he has averaged 50 games played, he has played all 29 so far, will he be healthy when we need him anyway? To me it feels like he struggles with the puck and makes more bad choices than in the past. Anyway just wanted to put it out there to see how others felt.

23 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I smell a lock coming...Trading Tanev at the TDL is not a bad idea if Juolevi is healthy by then....we will then have 2 guys that could fill in alright...

Juolevi hasn’t played any meaningful stretch of professional games in two years.  WAY too early to even consider him as a possible call up in the near future (especially since he’s just skating in practice with the Comets right now).  I’d put Woo ahead of him at the moment just for that fact alone right now.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Chris Tanev, maybe. Christopher Tanev, no way. :P

I think they should keep Tanev, he could be on pace for a career year, and he's a great partner for Hughes. I think the Canucks actually need to keep all of their D. Juolevi may never play an NHL game, or maybe he will? Tryamkin might come back, but that's another maybe. I liked Fantenberg's game. Sautner, Teves, Rafferty and Chatfield will all be in tough to secure a regular spot IMO.

There's going to be a couple more Ds coming up in the next couple of years too (when Edler retires) - Woo and Rathbone, maybe even Utunen.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Juolevi hasn’t played any meaningful stretch of professional games in two years.  WAY too early to even consider him as a possible call up in the near future (especially since he’s just skating in practice with the Comets right now).  I’d put Woo ahead of him at the moment just for that fact alone right now.  

Woo isn't even ahead of Kevin Bahl at moment...

Juolevi needs to be healthy...if he can do that...he can play in the NHL ...period...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Woo isn't even ahead of Kevin Bahl at moment...

Juolevi needs to be healthy...if he can do that...he can play in the NHL ...period...

Woo is ahead of the Bahl kid.  Just because the politics of team Canada makes for stupid choices (and is why we aren't winning the Gold again this year) is not reason to belittle one of our prospects.  If you like Bahl so much, then go to his team's board and say great stuff about him there.  Don't write crap about out guys here, especially our prospects.  That triggers Alf, and (considering this is a Canuck's board) seems kind of like trolling, doesn't it?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Beyond PP duty, right now I’d say no.  He still needs to work on his play without the puck.  Always had NHL skill level offensively but can’t defend that well even at the AHL level.  But that’s a result of being injured all the time.

• Haha 1

I've been thinking that we would need to move him or at the very least have him as a "rental" for a playoff push/run mainly due to cap reasons. But his play when he is in the lineup is exceptional and I don't see anyone being a solid replacement for him just yet. Could it be Stecher? Not 100% sold. I'm almost considering how we could possibly extend him because it's almost like trying to replace an Edler who again we simply don't have anyone to fill those shoes. I think it's going to depend if Tryamkin returns and how he fares and maybe having a guy like Rafferty get a look and maybe even seeing how Rathbone would fit in here.

• Like 1

Just now, theo5789 said:

I've been thinking that we would need to move him or at the very least have him as a "rental" for a playoff push/run mainly due to cap reasons. But his play when he is in the lineup is exceptional and I don't see anyone being a solid replacement for him just yet. Could it be Stecher? Not 100% sold. I'm almost considering how we could possibly extend him because it's almost like trying to replace an Edler who again we simply don't have anyone to fill those shoes. I think it's going to depend if Tryamkin returns and how he fares and maybe having a guy like Rafferty get a look and maybe even seeing how Rathbone would fit in here.

I always forget we have Rathbone.  Guy is going to be a star in the NHL.  He's got all the tools to be great, and he's mean.  Love that combination.  

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Woo is ahead of the Bahl kid.  Just because the politics of team Canada makes for stupid choices (and is why we aren't winning the Gold again this year) is not reason to belittle one of our prospects.  If you like Bahl so much, then go to his team's board and say great stuff about him there.  Don't write crap about out guys here, especially our prospects.  That triggers Alf, and (considering this is a Canuck's board) seems kind of like trolling, doesn't it?

Not dissing Woo...I like him, but he is not ahead of Juolevi at this point and Bahl was the guy I wanted us to draft by trading down a few spots from were we took Woo and also getting another late round pick as  a result of trading down.

Don't get your fur in a bunch....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Not dissing Woo...I like him, but he is not ahead of Juolevi at this point and Bahl was the guy I wanted us to draft by trading down a few spots from were we took Woo and also getting another late round pick as  a result of trading down.

Don't get your fur in a bunch....

My fur is in a bunch. (my Depends too!)  Bahl belongs to another team, and is their prospect.  Screw him!  This is a Canuck's board.  If you like him, then go to that team's board and promote him.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I was on the trade Tanev train, but seeing him out there this year makes me accept we need him badly.  He's a defensive savant.

Hughes can play with anyone.  He's with Myers now, and making that pairing shine.  

Tanev is a great glue player. He's doing better offensively than I remember, routinely passing to the slot for deflections. He was always good at checking the opponent, and moving the puck up. But now he seems to understand his role when the offense is set up. 

I wanted us to put Hughes with Myers before the beginning of the season, but he and Tanev looked natural together, and Myers with Edler looked great together as well. Now, Hughes and Myers are playing much like I originally thought they would. Except, Myers is pinching way more than I expected. I thought he would hang back knowing he was playing with a rookie, but he's pinching to support the offense. Makes the pairing really hard to contain. Myers isn't producing as many points as we thought he would, but he's making an impact in other ways. He will probably start producing more now that he's with Hughes. 

We needed a couple games for our new pairings to gel, and unfortunately we gave up a big lead to Pittsburgh in one of those games. But, when Edler and our defensive forwards come back, I think we will have a team that is very hard to play against.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

If we can get a first round pick or a stud prospect, I'd be happy to trade Tanev.

Not to mention we need the cap space..Rafferty is 24 years old. So not too young..but lacks the nhl experience..big gamble but maybe we get Schenn  back for 1/4 of the price if we have to?

Edited by Throckmorton
  • Haha 1

We could give Rafferty a look when someone on the right side inevitably goes down with injury but let's not be too hasty.

With Eddie, Hughes and Tanev on separate lines we could probably ice some solid pairings and that would be crucial for success in any run (Eddie's been making the pairing with Myers work offensively since Tyler's offense is gone and he could also play big minutes with Stecher, Hughes works with Tanev but has also been a solid tandem with Myers with his two-way play, and if we had Tanev with Benn that could be a solid shutdown pair).  Their interchangeability might not exist if we trade a glue guy like Tanev who complements his partners so well.  Let Brogan kick down the door before we roll out the red carpet for him with no backup plan.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Throckmorton said:

Is it time to get value for Tanev  ...say to Winnipeg who need Dmen for a pick and bring up Brogan Rafferty who has 16 points and plus 9 in Utica or wait till the trade deadline? Chris is healthy now but may not be at that time, both Right shot.

Have you actually watch Rafferty play or you're sole basis for this proposal is based on the 16 pts and plus 9 stats?   Yeah he has great stats in Utica....but is he ready to replace Tanev and his 20 minutes/game?  The guy has play 0 NHL game and you suggesting replacing a veteran like Tanev with him, while were fighting for the playoffs?  

That's suicide, especially with our injury history on the back end.  Keep both for depth, even if it were lose a potential return on Tanev.  I don't see getting more than a 2nd rounder in return, so not worth it.  I prefer depth.  Trade him if we are out comes trade deadline.

• Upvote 4