The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miracle on Ice Star Mark Pavelich Committed to Psychiatric Facilty

Rate this topic

nucklehead

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/miracle-on-ice-star-mark-pavelich-committed-to-psychiatric-facility-after-being-ruled-mentally-ill/ar-BBXMBcv?ocid=spartanntp

A Minnesota judge has determined that former USA Olympic hockey player Mark Pavelich is mentally ill and dangerous, according to a report from the Star Tribune on Wednesday. As a result, Pavelich will be committed to a secure treatment facility indefinitely. 

Following an extensive evaluation, psychiatrists have determined that the 61-year-old Pavelich is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and is unaware of his own deteriorating mental health, including bouts of delusions and paranoia.The ruling comes more than a month after Pavelich, 61, was declared unfit to stand trial in an assault case brought against him. The former "Miracle on Ice" player was charged with viciously beating a longtime friend with a metal pole this August, causing the victim to suffer cracked ribs, a bruised kidney and a fractured vertebrae. Pavelich said he believed the victim had been spiking his beer throughout the day. 

During that trial, Pavelich's family said they believed he was suffering from CTE, a degenerative neurological disorder that often affects athletes who play contact sports, such as hockey and football. The concussions and repeated head trauma often suffered by those athletes have been linked to the development of CTE, which sometimes leads to erratic and violent behavior.

One psychiatrist involved with Pavelich's latest evaluation believes that his condition is due to repeated head trauma suffered over his lifetime.

According to the family, Pavelich has undergone a "total change" in personality and become a virtual recluse since retiring from hockey. They allegedly have urged him to seek help over the past few years but he has refused any sort of treatment.

A judge ordered a psychiatric evaluation to determine his competence to stand trial in October, with the psychiatrist ultimately concluding that Pavelich required "intensive psychiatric treatment with neuroleptic medications."

Pavelich was a key member of the 1980 gold medal-winning Team USA squad, assisting on Mike Eruzione's winning goal in the stunning "Miracle On Ice" semifinal upset of the Soviet Union. He also was a standout at Minnesota Duluth before playing seven seasons in the NHL. He scored 137 goals and tallied 329 points in 355 career NHL games and is still the only American player to score five goals in a single game.  

seems like you all glossed over this part

During that trial, Pavelich's family said they believed he was suffering from CTE, a degenerative neurological disorder that often affects athletes who play contact sports, such as hockey and football.

The leagues failings of the past will continue to haunt them and hold them to account. Let's hope his suffering is not in vain and that the league continues to make good on their responsibility to all league players present past and future.

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Pavelich was a Leaf fan?  (yes, that was in bad taste )

Ewww dude.   Lol.  
and @BrockBoester   Why the confused face?   Sure, I don’t like the majority of your childish posts, but is it so hard to understand that a man with numerous brain injuries, mixed with alcohol could have paranoid thoughts that his buddy is poisoning his drinks?     Mental illness is real, especially with brain injuries. 
time for less confused face reactions and more education dude. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, #Canucks said:

I’m glad he didn’t hurt anyone else, that’s scary. I’m glad mental health is being more recognized and not ignored.

Treatment options are still largely ignored, especially with how health care is in the US. If it isn't just going to your doctor and asking for a prescription (or having the money to pay for good help) people are often left looking for help. This is true in Canada as well for mental health, even if it has more coverage.

4 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Terrible 

Yeah I know.  I just couldn't resist.  It'll be my new years resolution to be a better person next year.:)

I'm assuming Pavelich must have gotten an elbow to the head (or some other kind of headshot hit that was "in vogue" at the time he was a NHLer) as from what I recall, he wasn't a guy who got into alot of fights....was a finesse type of player.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

15 hours ago, nucklehead said:

seems like you all glossed over this part

The leagues failings of the past will continue to haunt them and hold them to account. Let's hope his suffering is not in vain and that the league continues to make good on their responsibility to all league players present past and future.

how is the "league's failings?"

I've been committed to psychiatric facilities several times in my life most recently about 3 years ago. It's a really horrible place to be. The food is disgusting, the nurses are rude and 80% of the people there are completely out of their mind. You meet some very interesting people but it is very dehumanizing. Taking care of your mental health whatever the price may be is very important; More important than taking care of your physical health. What would you do if you were losing your mind? You can lose 10 pounds but you can't lose a disease of the mind. Best wishes to Mr. Pavelich as he embarks on a path towards improving his mental health and wellness. I wish nothing but the best for him and his family. Hopefully the NHL starts assisting former players who are suffering from psychiatric problems so they don't have anymore Rick Rypiens and Wade Belaks.