The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else worried about Colorado as rivals in the near future?

Rate this topic

Sandro17

2 hours ago, Sandro17 said:

So I was looking at our core as compared to Colorado's and I realized that we'll probably be bitter rivals for years to come. We may not be in the same division, but within our conference, there isn't another team that I can see as scary as theirs. Chicago is going to have to rebuild, Edmonton has no depth, and I don't think anyone else is rising as fast as we are.  In a few years we'll be a powerhouse, but so will Colorado. I see both our cores as time bombs waiting to explode.

Lets look at our core compared to theirs:

Hughes vs Makar

Horvat vs Landeskog

Boeser vs Rantanen
Petterson vs Mackinnon

We might have an edge in goal tending though but I see tough times ahead against in our near future than anyone else out there. Having said that, I'm sure were all in for some major excitement and an amazingly bitter but fun rivalry.

If it wasn't them then it would be someone else. Better them than Calgary or Edmonton.

regards,  G.

3 hours ago, Sandro17 said:

So I was looking at our core as compared to Colorado's and I realized that we'll probably be bitter rivals for years to come. We may not be in the same division, but within our conference, there isn't another team that I can see as scary as theirs. Chicago is going to have to rebuild, Edmonton has no depth, and I don't think anyone else is rising as fast as we are.  In a few years we'll be a powerhouse, but so will Colorado. I see both our cores as time bombs waiting to explode.

Hughes vs Makar

Horvat vs Landeskog

Boeser vs Rantanen
Petterson vs Mackinnon

We might have an edge in goal tending though but I see tough times ahead against in our near future than anyone else out there. Having said that, I'm sure were all in for some major excitement and an amazingly bitter but fun rivalry.

Do you often worry about stuff that's beyond your control? 

It would be a good rivalry to watch as there games seems to be high scoring (except the last one).  In my opinion,  it would really depend on how long JB and Sakic can keep it going.  Also, having a rivalry will keep both teams from getting complacent....

Edited by ShawnAntoski

5 hours ago, Sandro17 said:

Hughes vs Makar

Horvat vs Landeskog

Boeser vs Rantanen
Petterson vs Mackinnon

Not worried about the Avs since we will be a powerhouse when Madden, Hoglander, Podkolzin and Woo make the team. Madden and Hoglander could very well make the team next year and Benning could add another piece to the defense. If anything the Avs could be worried about us too.

5 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I agree that Colorado is probably going to be a top team in the West for awhile given their depth.  Their forward group is already very deep but so is their D.  While Byram is still unproven, for them to have him in the pipeline is sick (thanks Ottawa) when they already have Makar and Girard (signed long term).  Erik Johnson is like their Alex Edler, but he's a bit younger.  That D could be insanely good very soon.

What might hopefully happen is that the Canucks will start to peak when the Avs core starts to wane either by age or because of salary cap issues.  As promising as the Canucks core is now, it will be interesting to see how guys like Madden, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rafferty, Lind, Gadjovich and Woo factor in if and when they make the jump.  We also haven't seen what Juolevi can do, notwithstanding concerns about his health.  I wouldn't expect Tryamkin to have a huge impact if he came back, but if he does, then that would immediately ramp up the Canucks ability to compete in a physical game.

If there is any concern about the Canucks future right now, then to me it would have to be at D.  As good as Hughes has been, we don't really have that much high end talent on the blue line (though this is pretty much the Canucks' entire history).  If Hughes can continue to get better and excel and the Canucks can continue to at least find serviceable top-4/6 D to surround him with, then they should be a strong team for awhile.

Well, Canucks could easily sign Barry next offseason which will give them 4 offensive D man. That could fix the blueline and make it more mobile. 

3 hours ago, Bure2Win said:

More worried that Edmonton is gonna win another cup before us.........Sigh

Not sure if McDavid and Drai is enough. The rest of the Coilers lineup are just a bunch of scraps and RNH. They have Kassian playing as a top liner and I don't care if he is playing great now, he isn't really a top line player. 

• Cheers 1

If the Canucks continue to seriously upgrade their defense,because this is where we are weakest, we can once again be legit contenders.Defense wins championships.We need more grit from the back end,as of now we are very very far from gritty.Troy,, Chris, Alex, Quinn, you can see what I mean ,I hope.

That big russian defenseman for Colorado is a monster in comparison to this list of Canucks.However getting our own russian monster defenseman could even things out in a hurry.

Just look at Boston for example, they have tons of grit,but,once Chara is gone, Brad M. is fair game for some severe payback, Brad will miss that big gorilla.

Our first Stanley Cup win might be more than just a dream.

Colorado is set up to be a powerhouse for awhile. I’m happy they are in the other division. They’ve made some amazing deals. Drafted well. I wouldn’t be surprised if they win a cup in the within the next 3 years. They got some depth too. Too keep winning without Rantanen and Their captain is pretty impressive.

Can’t see it being a crazy rivalry not being in the same division but who knows Chicago was quite the rivalry for years. All depends if they meet in the playoffs

I see them as this groups Blackhawks.  A more complete team that is further along then us and will likely be a huge roadblock to this group.

They are further along in their rebuild, have a much more complete looking roster with their high end depth at forward and very high end prospects on D.  We look better in depth of goaltending prospects as far as I know.

A D build around Byram and Makar is amazing and will be feeding that group of forwards for a long time.

If you look at how they rebuilt it kind of went in two phases.  First came their young group of forwards now the young D is coming.  We really are at the end of that first phase.  No two rebuilds are the same, hopefully we don't drop to the bottom again but we could sure use another elite D prospect unless OJ turns things around health wise.

Fun times ahead.  These two teams, when put together play some really exciting hockey.  Multiple playoff series over the next decade would be fantastic.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sandro17 said:

Hughes vs Makar

Horvat vs Landeskog

Boeser vs Rantanen
Petterson vs Mackinnon

I'd sure love it if that's going to be the case.  Problem with each of those player comparisons COL has the better player.   It's been awhile but we did have a pretty good rivalry with them in the WCE era - again they were the better team though. 

In a couple years our core should  be able to compare more evenly, possibly even more favourably then theirs so I can see where your going with this.   In our own division nobody but maybe ARI is at a similar stage in our cycle (even though they are on their second rebuild) - could see them as upstarts too.   Don't know what the heck CAL is doing - they should be our biggest competition over the next five year.

COL has the guys to be the new TB - and McKinnon stated that he would take a huge discount on his next contract to keep the team together (got to love that).  Definitely can see us getting better and also becoming contenders in 2-3 years.

12 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

In a cap era a half price Mcdavid type player is huge. Colorado is going to make some noise in the playoffs. I think the Canucks are 2 years behind Colorado.

When NM says discount, he's probably talking $11m instead of $12-13m

• Upvote 2