The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else worried about Colorado as rivals in the near future?

Rate this topic

Sandro17

No...I don't worry about the future because, for me, that's anxiety and I've learned to manage it.

I accept things as they come because I can't control them.   

Injuries will factor in and a team that stays healthy often has the advantage over a team that doesn't.  We also have young guys who will fill out and develop a bit more so sky's the limit.  The work ethic is strong and a guy like Petey, who won't ever feel that he's "there" in regard to finished project is really inspiring and encouraging.

We are unstoppable.  That's how I predict things.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, stawns said:

When NM says discount, he's probably talking $11m instead of $12-13m

Possibly - but the way he was talking about it he's absolutely stoked to be making what he is now and appeared genuinely willing to leave significant money on the table when he's up.   Maybe like Kucherov did in TB.   Plus in three or four years 11 will be more like 9.5 is now - definitely a discount for a top three player.  I sure hope he does  - it would set a good example AND even better, affect the market somewhat for other guys that need new contracts.  Horvat, BB and a few of other guys hopefully take the some viewpoint to help keep our team together - and with enough to add one or two other core players as well.   It's not something that you hear about much - he seemed proud of the fact he's helping make a great team, and gratefull for what he gets.  Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

No...I don't worry about the future because, for me, that's anxiety and I've learned to manage it.

I accept things as they come because I can't control them.   

Injuries will factor in and a team that stays healthy often has the advantage over a team that doesn't.  We also have young guys who will fill out and develop a bit more so sky's the limit.  The work ethic is strong and a guy like Petey, who won't ever feel that he's "there" in regard to finished project is really inspiring and encouraging.

We are unstoppable.  That's how I predict things.

Always like your posts.  Positivity is important- and right now we have a lot to look forward too given it's never happened to this team before (collection of such young talent - loaded with potential).   EPs off game is already around or just over a PPG.   BB, Horvat and Miller are all blue chippers and only Miller is in his prime (again with the potential).  Hughes - well he's working on breaking records that have stood since 79-80.   Speaking of which the way the last five drafts have gone reminds me of the incredibly rich drafts 79-83 were too.   Great time to be a fan period as we are witnessing a soon to be high point in the league - both scoring and overall product.  

Hughes, like EP,  come better then advertised.  This season does as a whole too (entire league).  How long has it been since anyone scored more then 120 points (aside from Kucherov?).   Or 150?  McDavid, Drasaitl, McKinnon, Pastrnak and Carlson are putting up seasons for the ages.   Pastrnak is half way to being the first guy since Brett Hull to score 50 in 50 (91-92 I think).   Carlson is pacing some of the best defenseman ever to play the game.   Good times already are here.

Hughes could break Borques 40 year record tonight - or any game from now to the rest of the season and he's not the only rookie doing it either in Makar.

The only time we've ever had more then one rookie join the league and make an immediate impact the way we've done it the last three year is when Linden and Bure played (and a few years separated that).  We've got three in a row now...plus Miller and Horvat and very good secondary scoring/players in place (who will be replaced gradually in house). 

Plus JV, AG, and Demko.  And OJ, Podz, Hogs, Madden and Woo in the wings.   

No anxiety here, we need to be patient with this group - once they are all in their second contracts and have had a taste of the playoffs, nobody in our division will be at our level.  And I wouldn't be surprised at all if the team sets a club record for drafted guys on the roster.   And wins a cup or two. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, coastal.view said:

um, you worried about stiff competition bro?

if you only have weakling teams to beat... how is that satisfying

remember when the nucks finally beat the hawks?

golden moment

i'm looking forward to severe intense competition for this nucks core

it'll be so much fun

Me too.  The best hockey games are always when two excellent clubs go hammer and tong on each other.  COL-DET in the 90's was one of the best and CAL was so good in the 80's trying to keep up with arguably the best team ever in EDM.   Battle of Alberta games were much watch ones back then.  Boston and MTL one is on a simmer, same with PHI and PIT but doesn't take much to ignite those.

IMO we've only ever had three rivalries- VAN CAL after the 89 series started a war on ice that lasted six years or so.  Fight filled affairs and nasty too..never forget the Sandman using Lindens kidneys as a punching bag while he was turtled on the ice.  Otto did that to him once too.  Mommesso, Murzyn, Gino etc where always busy back then..decent one with WNP too.

WCE we battled COL .... Deadmarsh Jovo x 2...

Then CHI and Burrows.   

The commonality of these rivalries is they were all good-great teams.   Surely we will get there again with this young core but it will take playoffs to really ignite it.

• Thanks 1

Good point(s) re the rivalries....those really give games extra meaning and anticipation.

I love that they asked Burr "Chicago or Boston" and he struggled but then decided on "Boston" as the one he'd like to take down the most.  

I miss the old days of hating Chicago.

I remember how intense the Colorado series have been in the past and, despite some really unfortunate history that took that to a level beyond where it needed to be, LOVED those games.

If we didn't have stiff competition it would mean we weren't at that level...the fact that we are (getting) there is really exciting.  We were spoiled in the recent past with a team that took President's trophies and were expected to be there.  It's a letdown when you fall short with a team like that.  This one is "new and upcoming" and I feel that the fact that we're even in conversations like this is super exciting, not something to worry about.  I'd worry more if it was just a "meh" deal and we weren't matching up with teams like Colorado.  I love their team...they give us some of the great games lately.

15 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

And outside of them we have nothing in terms of top 4 talent, 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToXKuRuE4_2hfgAjW1kfB

As for the OP, I'd love to see a rivalry resembling the late 90's/early 2000's (though hopefully with more success on our end this time).

Why be worried? We built a team that rivals one of the best in the conference in a shorter amount of time than them and without ever winning a lottery pick. Colorado is a good team, but if they're our only road block to the finals, I'll take that challenge. I think many teams are worried about facing us for the next decade, so we are in a good place as well.

• Upvote 1

Worried...nope. Excited...oh yeah!  Rivalries make this game exciting. Watching the WCE play against the trap in Dallas was like watching paint dry. Watching Van vs Chicago was edge of your seat. Two good teams that learn to hate each other in the playoffs is what the game is about. I’m so glad to have a team that’s competitive. Give this group a little time to grow (physically and as a team) and teams like Colorado will be worrying about us. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2019 at 4:50 PM, Sandro17 said:

So I was looking at our core as compared to Colorado's and I realized that we'll probably be bitter rivals for years to come. We may not be in the same division, but within our conference, there isn't another team that I can see as scary as theirs. Chicago is going to have to rebuild, Edmonton has no depth, and I don't think anyone else is rising as fast as we are.  In a few years we'll be a powerhouse, but so will Colorado. I see both our cores as time bombs waiting to explode.

Lets look at our core compared to theirs:

Hughes vs Makar

Horvat vs Landeskog

Boeser vs Rantanen
Petterson vs Mackinnon

We might have an edge in goal tending though but I see tough times ahead against in our near future than anyone else out there. Having said that, I'm sure were all in for some major excitement and an amazingly bitter but fun rivalry.

Right now,

EP < MacKinnon: Mac is probably a top 3 player in the NHL right now but at some point, EP will surpass MacKinnon (after all MacKinnon is 4 years older)

Boeser <= Rantanen: I think Boeser is becoming more of a complete player than just a sniper 

Horvat >= Landeskog: I might be biased but I think Horvat can do everything that Landeskog can do maybe Landeskog is bit more physical?

Hughes = Makar: both are elite players, Makar has better shot but Hughes can do other stuff better

With the core4 players from each team being separated by a narrow margin, it will come down to depth and in particular, cheap depth acquired through smart drafting. Colorado obviously has another big player that will join the core4 in Byram. We don't quite have that (although I still haven't lost my hope on OJ). Both teams have a crop of quality prospects developing in various leagues so it's hard to say who will have an edge.

We managed to build a good team without picking higher than #5:

Horvat 9th

Virtanen 6th

Boeser 23rd

OJ 5th

EP 5th

Hughes 7th

Avg: 9th

vs

Landeskog 2nd

MacKinnon 1st

Raantanen 10th

Jost 10th

Makar 4th

Byram 4th

Avg: 5th

On 12/6/2019 at 10:15 PM, DefCon1 said:

Not worried about the Avs since we will be a powerhouse when Madden, Hoglander, Podkolzin and Woo make the team. Madden and Hoglander could very well make the team next year and Benning could add another piece to the defense. If anything the Avs could be worried about us too.

Kadri, Zadorav, Jost, Byram. When it’s all said and done, it’s going to be a fairly even matchup imo

Edited by J-23

The avs match up pretty good with the players you mentioned OP, however they do not have 

answers for Tryamkin, and Hoglander. OJ could turn into a Makar type we just need to 

let him continue to grow. The level at which we have drafted good players will 

soon surpass the Avs. You also dont factor in Miller. 

I hope the Canucks can win a cup with this core. I feel like this has the potential to be the best Canucks core ever. No disrespect to our former players, but this core seems to have everything you need in core players to build a championship calibre team around.