The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada loses 71,200 jobs in the biggest drop in employment in a decade

Ryan Strome

Canada’s job market unexpectedly weakened for a second-straight month, registering the biggest drop in employment since 2009 and casting doubt on the resiliency of the domestic outlook.

The economy lost 71,200 jobs in November, Statistics Canada said Friday in Ottawa, following a decline of 1,800 in the prior month. That pares the total number of jobs added this year to around 285,100.

http://nationalpost.com/news/economy/canadas-economy-loses-71200-jobs/wcm/9f168108-b65d-4ffb-a6a2-120b8f5f2bfe

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Canada’s job market unexpectedly weakened for a second-straight month, registering the biggest drop in employment since 2009 and casting doubt on the resiliency of the domestic outlook.

The economy lost 71,200 jobs in November, Statistics Canada said Friday in Ottawa, following a decline of 1,800 in the prior month. That pares the total number of jobs added this year to around 285,100.

http://nationalpost.com/news/economy/canadas-economy-loses-71200-jobs/wcm/9f168108-b65d-4ffb-a6a2-120b8f5f2bfe

I would assume a lot of these jobs are oil-based. Hopefully they restore these jobs if/when the pipeline gets built with the approval of the first nations people in the area.

Ouch.  In Canada, this should be borderline scandalous.  PM Blackface's party needs to feel the wrath of the electorate during the next round of choosing which party will screw up the least.

*edit* @Rick Blight put the job numbers into perspective a few posts down.

Edited by SabreFan1

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I wouldn't worry too much about this report as they are notoriously volatile (read inaccurate).

Just for perspective:

August - added 81,000 jobs

September - added 54,000 jobs

October - shed 1,800 jobs

November - shed 71,000 jobs

Four months net is an add of 62,200 jobs or in Trump Jr's terms an add of 622,000 jobs.

Thanks for the perspective.  I didn't realize that Canada's job market had huge swings like this.  I'll edit my original post.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

Thanks for the perspective.  I didn't realize that Canada's job market had huge swings like this.  I'll edit my original post.

I added the U.S jobs for the past 4 months for comparative purposes using Donald Jr's formula and it comes out to 622,000 for Canada and 659,000 for the U.S.

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Translation = "I made fun of the man who laughed at you. Daddy, do you love me yet?"

While today's number sucks. A little context is usually helpful. .....

I didn't see Jr. tweeting when Canada produced monthly job gains of 106.5K, 94.1K and 81.1K all within the last year.

@Rick Blight just beat ya to it by a few minutes.  But the translation joke was very solid! :lol:

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

I added the U.S jobs for the past 4 months for comparative purposes using Donald Jr's formula and it comes out to 622,000 for Canada and 659,000 for the U.S.

Perspective is always good.  I probably should have actually read the graph before I responded.  The information was right there in front of my face.  :wacko:

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Translation = "I made fun of the man who laughed at you. Daddy, do you love me yet?"

While today's number sucks. A little context is usually helpful. .....

I didn't see Jr. tweeting when Canada produced monthly job gains of 106.5K, 94.1K and 81.1K all within the last year.

cadjobs.jpg

You must be fun at parties...

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1