The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada loses 71,200 jobs in the biggest drop in employment in a decade

Ryan Strome

38 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I wouldn't worry too much about this report as they are notoriously volatile (read inaccurate).

Just for perspective:

August - added 81,000 jobs

September - added 54,000 jobs

October - shed 1,800 jobs

November - shed 71,000 jobs

Four months net is an add of 62,200 jobs or in Trump Jr's terms an add of 622,000 jobs. U.S added 659,000 jobs over same period....seems pretty competitive to me.

37,000 jobs behind. Guess we are a competitive second.:P

2 months in a row of job loss. Has the US had that over the last 2 months.

Edited by Ryan Strome

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The new way to defend Justin, let's look at the past not the present or future. I'm sure you liberals would say this if it was a conservative pm.:lol:

When the data swings this wild from month to month why would you look at any one month without context?

P.S. If you can tell me what the future employment data will be I would greatly appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

He puts in a lot of work to defend JT. Yet when the US has low or average job gains under Trump he will post it to criticize Trump. Maybe JT really has great hair cause some on here will go all out to defend him.

Actually I rarely posts anything about JT. I'm rarely if ever in the Western Separation thread and rarely post anything in the Canada election/Lib Gubmint thread.

It's not my fault Scheer was an undetectable goober.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

37,000 jobs behind. Guess we are a competitive second.:P

2 months in a row of job loss. Has the US had that over the last 2 months.

U.S.added 156,000 and 266,000 jobs over the past two months. Bear in mind that they quite often re-state their job numbers a month or two later. For example, they originally reported their October number as 128,000 and then when they reported their November numbers they revised their October number to 156,000 jobs.

If you look at the YTD numbers the U.S. has added 2,046,000 jobs while Canada has added 285,000 jobs. Using Donald Jr's formula that would equate to Canada adding 2,850,000 jobs.........well ahead of the U.S.

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

When the data swings this wild from month to month why would you look at any one month without context?

P.S. If you can tell me what the future employment data will be I would greatly appreciate it.

Actually I rarely posts anything about JT. I'm rarely if ever in the Western Separation thread and rarely post anything in the Canada election/Lib Gubmint thread.

Ya I didn't support Scheer but just to clear things up Scheer received more votes. 

29 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

U.S.added 156,000 and 266,000 jobs over the past two months. Bear in mind that they quite often re-state their job numbers a month or two later. For example, they originally reported their October number as 128,000 and then when they reported their November numbers they revised their October number to 156,000 jobs.

If you look at the YTD numbers the U.S. has added 2,046,000 jobs while Canada has added 285,000 jobs. Using Donald Jr's formula that would equate to Canada adding 2,850,000 jobs.........well ahead of the U.S.

I'm not saying you are wrong but if you are to be believed please explain to me why the US unemployment rate is 3.9% and ours is 5.9% unless I'm missing something it's not as close as you and futz say it is.

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Ya I didn't support Scheer but just to clear things up Scheer received more votes. 

I'm not saying you are wrong but if you are to be believed please explain to me why the US unemployment rate is 3.9% and ours is 5.9% unless I'm missing something it's not as close as you and futz say it is.

Here are the links for the job numbers for you. The unemployment rates are more complicated as they are reflective of population growth and people actually looking for work.  Just as an FYI 2017 population growth in Canada was 1.2% while the U.S was at 0.7%......Canada's population growth being 71% higher than the U.S. and I suspect that spread may even be higher today.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/non-farm-payrolls

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/employment-change

https://www.google.com/search?q=population+growth+in+the+U.s.&rlz=1C1EJFA_enCA733CA748&oq=population+growth+in+the+U.s.&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.17318j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by Rick Blight

41 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Here are the links for the job numbers for you. The unemployment rates are more complicated as they are reflective of population growth and people actually looking for work.  Just as an FYI 2017 population growth in Canada was 1.2% while the U.S was at 0.7%......Canada's population growth being 71% higher than the U.S. and I suspect that spread may even be higher today.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/non-farm-payrolls

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/employment-change

https://www.google.com/search?q=population+growth+in+the+U.s.&rlz=1C1EJFA_enCA733CA748&oq=population+growth+in+the+U.s.&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.17318j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

So are you saying that are mass immigration and Canada is actually not a good thing? Because Jimmy McGill always claims it is. I don't know if the numbers are accurate but I have read that all the syrians that have come over like something like only 10 or 20% are actually contributing to the economy and I'm sure they have not contributed enough to pay off what they cost the taxpayer. I think immigration needs to be based on the economy and needs for workers.

34 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So are you saying that are mass immigration and Canada is actually not a good thing? Because Jimmy McGill always claims it is. I don't know if the numbers are accurate but I have read that all the syrians that have come over like something like only 10 or 20% are actually contributing to the economy and I'm sure they have not contributed enough to pay off what they cost the taxpayer. I think immigration needs to be based on the economy and needs for workers.

Sorry Ryan but I am not going to offer an opinion on our immigration policies. I will say that 5.0% unemployment is the generally accepted number for full employment and this would indicate that the U.S. does not have enough trained people for vacant jobs while Canada has slightly more than enough people for the vacant jobs. The chart below will give you an indication of the number of job vacancies in the U.S. They have had between 6.8 and 7.7 million jobs vacant every month this year because they cannot match skills to the vacant jobs. Only people smarter than me can determine if more immigration would resolve that issue. I added another chart below that shows significant vacant jobs in Quebec and Ontario. Could immigration help resolve that and assist with economic growth? I don't know. Had too many drinks for this kind of discussion.

United States Job Vacancies

Provinces Vacancy rate Change Unfilled jobs
Quebec 4.1% +0.1% 120,800
British Columbia 3.6% +0.1% 69,400
Ontario 3.3% +0.1% 174,800
New Brunswick 2.8%   6,600
Manitoba 2.4%   10,400
Saskatchewan 2.3% +0.1% 8,000
Nova Scotia 2.3% -0.1% 7,000
Alberta 2.1% -0.1% 33,800
Newfoundland & Labrador 1.9% +0.1% 2,800
Prince Edward Island 1.8% +0.1% 900

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Upvote 1

There are jobs and there are living wage jobs,big difference.

Oil jobs in Alberta and Lumber jobs in B.C. TOOK A HUGE HIT.

Time to get the green jobs rolling,solar geothermal,wind,tides lets try our best to save this planet shall we.DO IT FOR THE KIDS.

HELLO, HELLO GOVERNMENT,HELLO.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

The new way to defend Justin, let's look at the past not the present or future. I'm sure you liberals would say this if it was a conservative pm.:lol:

It really is a proper defense though.  I'm not a fan of PM Blackface, but I'm holding judgment until another month or two rolls around and we see if the job loss numbers become a trend.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

A country poking fun at another country's economic performance. How childish Trumps have made the world lol. 

Trudeau hurt his feelings the other day so like a child, Trump felt the need to retaliate at the first possible chance without regard to the over 70k people who are now going to have a leaner holiday in 2019.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Trudeau hurt his feelings the other day so like a child, Trump felt the need to retaliate at the first possible chance without regard to the over 70k people who are now going to have a leaner holiday in 2019.

Also can easily backfire in the future.  If that happens, you leave yourself open for similar stupid attacks.

Edit: up late I see... can't sleep?  sweating the game tomorrow, are ya :P

Edited by Kragar
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Thumbed up. :lol:

Edited by Rounoush

4 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Think about it this way. If the Bloc hadn't done so well in Quebec, Trudeau would have won another majority. And that's with all his scandals. 

I'm sure Albertan's would have loved another Liberal majority :bigblush:. They seem to love Liberals :lol:

Spoiler

greta-mural-defaced.JPG

8 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Sorry Ryan but I am not going to offer an opinion on our immigration policies. I will say that 5.0% unemployment is the generally accepted number for full employment and this would indicate that the U.S. does not have enough trained people for vacant jobs while Canada has slightly more than enough people for the vacant jobs. The chart below will give you an indication of the number of job vacancies in the U.S. They have had between 6.8 and 7.7 million jobs vacant every month this year because they cannot match skills to the vacant jobs. Only people smarter than me can determine if more immigration would resolve that issue. I added another chart below that shows significant vacant jobs in Quebec and Ontario. Could immigration help resolve that and assist with economic growth? I don't know. Had too many drinks for this kind of discussion.

United States Job Vacancies

Provinces Vacancy rate Change Unfilled jobs
Quebec 4.1% +0.1% 120,800
British Columbia 3.6% +0.1% 69,400
Ontario 3.3% +0.1% 174,800
New Brunswick 2.8%   6,600
Manitoba 2.4%   10,400
Saskatchewan 2.3% +0.1% 8,000
Nova Scotia 2.3% -0.1% 7,000
Alberta 2.1% -0.1% 33,800
Newfoundland & Labrador 1.9% +0.1% 2,800
Prince Edward Island 1.8% +0.1% 900

Excellent work. Many good points. My only comment would be the type and quality of jobs created. Pretty established that the Americans are creating a lot of high end jobs. Canada not so much. Another stat that really bugs me is comparing GDP numbers. What should be asked is the 'value margin' of a $1 of GDP in the two economies. Canada's economy is largely that of a price taker which has lower margins. The USA in contrast has much larger margins. Combine that with only 13% of USA GDP based on export. While that number is still massive in real terms the impact of currency on earnings is muted. On the Canadian side, as an example, the Cdn 

$ has lost 8.75% against the British pound in the last 90 days. I don't know how much trade is there but can you imagine the bite out of margins that takes.  

7 hours ago, Kragar said:

Also can easily backfire in the future.  If that happens, you leave yourself open for similar stupid attacks.

Edit: up late I see... can't sleep?  sweating the game tomorrow, are ya :P

I have a touch of the flu which is making sleep tough and now I may end up missing the game since I have to go help someone with something in an hour.  All on less than 3 hours of total sleep.  :(