The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada loses 71,200 jobs in the biggest drop in employment in a decade

Ryan Strome

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

household debt is by far the biggest issue looming to hurt Canada imo. And its self inflicted for the most part. I know people who do things like have a car for each family member and pay for it by a line of credit where they only pay the interest. Talk about a way to get bankrupt. But many many people do this sort of thing. Yes a lot of people are going pay check to pay check but many more are simply getting too much easy credit. 

I'm getting rid of my debt, and in the future even if I get another line of credit it will have a very low limit. Lines of credit are worse than credit cards. Ok for emergencies like for major repairs etc. But it's a trap that's hard to pull out of. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The advertising industry is pretty predatory, even worse in the USA. I am a fiscal conservative and have advocated for teaching financial literacy in the school system. It would likely eliminate a lot of poor choices about taking on debt. I am from the old school and still balance my bank account each month. My daughter doesn't and it drives me crazy. That said she is pretty thrifty.

I agree with that sentiment.  Basic fiscal responsibility, budgeting and living within ones means needs to be taught from an early age.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

47% of Canadian households cannot take an unexpected $250 hit in a month. Talk about the quality of jobs as well as the numbers. I found it interesting that home mortgage defaults were holding steady but car and credit card default were increasing. Canadian finance likes to laugh at American hedge funds for shorting our banks and claim they just don't 'understand' our banking system. That our banks sailed thru the 2009 crisis. What they don't tell you is that Canadian banks are being shorted from around the world. In the last round quarterly reports the banks were all increasing their loan loss books in anticipation of a recession. 

The anti-Trumpers wait with bated breath in anticipation of a recession before next November's POTUS election. Kinda ironic as the next recession likely triggers another credit crisis which will hurt the poor most. IMO it doesn't come down to Trump or not as this crisis will happen either way. 

Absolutely I have argued the quality of jobs for a very long time. The true liberal supporters will never admit this but much like an NDP government they seem to create low paying jobs I think the average Canadian income is under $49,000 or something that is pathetic

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The advertising industry is pretty predatory, even worse in the USA. I am a fiscal conservative and have advocated for teaching financial literacy in the school system. It would likely eliminate a lot of poor choices about taking on debt. I am from the old school and still balance my bank account each month. My daughter doesn't and it drives me crazy. That said she is pretty thrifty.

yeah you and I are on the same page here. I really wonder how many people run a proper household budget? there's so much emphasis now on just teaching STEM I wonder if doing what you're suggesting is even possible now, but it should be. 

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you mean like this quote from the article you posted?

“But observers should remember that the numbers are highly volatile and that this is still the strongest year for job growth in Canada in 17 years.”

Well sure they are but again it's the most job losses since the global recession and you liberal supporters have not even acknowledged its bad news you just keep making excuses. And who knows what war hippie is doing because he doesn't support Trudeau remember except he defends them every chance he gets even makes up BS to defend them but he doesn't support him and doesn't vote liberal LOL

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I guess you didn't read the title of the article you've been missing a lot lately try to keep up.

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I have a touch of the flu which is making sleep tough and now I may end up missing the game since I have to go help someone with something in an hour.  All on less than 3 hours of total sleep.  :(

Sorry to hear it.  I was expecting to miss the game myself, going on a brief vacation.  Now I am too sick to go.

Good luck

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm getting rid of my debt, and in the future even if I get another line of credit it will have a very low limit. Lines of credit are worse than credit cards. Ok for emergencies like for major repairs etc. But it's a trap that's hard to pull out of. 

its terrible, and so easy to get its criminal. 

Budgeting is the key, and understanding how you spend lets you make good decisions. There's a lot of good apps out there that help you track your spending and once you get an understanding of that you can really make good decisions about your finances. I really like one called Mint, use it daily. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well sure they are but again it's the most job losses since the global recession and you liberal supporters have not even acknowledged its bad news you just keep making excuses. And who knows what war hippie is doing because he doesn't support Trudeau remember except he defends them every chance he gets even makes up BS to defend them but he doesn't support him and doesn't vote liberal LOL

I guess you didn't read the title of the article you've been missing a lot lately try to keep up.

nah no excuses, it is what it is. If you're going to take credit for the highs you need to eat the lows. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah you and I are on the same page here. I really wonder how many people run a proper household budget? there's so much emphasis now on just teaching STEM I wonder if doing what you're suggesting is even possible now, but it should be. 

What is STEM? 

Financial literacy gets a lot of political soft talk but neither side of the spectrum have ever pushed it. I am surprised that parents don't insist on it. If PACs started pushing and Trustees it would have to happen. 

Just now, Boudrias said:

What is STEM? 

Financial literacy gets a lot of political soft talk but neither side of the spectrum have ever pushed it. I am surprised that parents don't insist on it. If PACs started pushing and Trustees it would have to happen. 

Science, technology, engineering, mathematics. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

What is STEM? 

science tech engineering math

there's less room now in the curriculum for things like financial literacy 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

nah no excuses, it is what it is. If you're going to take credit for the highs you need to eat the lows. 

That last part you said Jim is absolutely accurate. This needs to apply to all prime ministers and premiers because it's complete garbage they will all take credit for a strong economy and good job numbers but they want to blame something else when those numbers go down or the economy doesn't do too well. What baffles me is the debt this p.m. has ran up and the deficit that he has ran since the day he was elected and yet we don't even talk about that anymore. It's almost like we are going to go through the Trudeau senior days into the Mulroney days where we just spend like drunken Sailors and rack up massive debt. It's too bad people don't understand that's not a key for success and it put Canada in an age where they had to cut everything just to get the debt down and the deficit down and people seem to want to do it again and will be the same people that will cry because services are cut. One day I hope we learn from our mistakes.

• Cheers 1

Wouldn't it be better if EI was more like a fund, and allowed folks to take time off, go into fields that are more in demand and actually learn to do jobs that pay well?

The only change I would do with immigration would be making it skill based not money based. You jump to the front of the line if you have grade 8 equivalent of English or French, and either a trade, a skill, or a degree. 

We need innovators and folks to augment our economy, and help create jobs.

Since healthcare is something we all agree on. How about creating jobs making health supplies, like medications, bandages, surgical instruments, PB and heart monitors,

CAT scanners, MRI Manufacturers. That way we can maybe even cut our costs in healthcare. Even gurneys, hospital beds, wheelchairs etc. Or furniture for the hospitals and clinics. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Absolutely I have argued the quality of jobs for a very long time. The true liberal supporters will never admit this but much like an NDP government they seem to create low paying jobs I think the average Canadian income is under $49,000 or something that is pathetic

It is when you see capital leaving the country that everyone should be very concerned. Investment capital increases labor productivity.

Whether it is investment in the oil patch, Amazon leasing 1 million sq feet in downtown Vancouver, or high tech moving into TO it is all good. 

Another issue that does not get much discussion is the Trump tax cuts in 2017. It made the USA competitive for new capital investment. That is 

in fact happening now. New capital projects are starting to come on-line and the jobs that come with it. 

9 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

That last part you said Jim is absolutely accurate. This needs to apply to all prime ministers and premiers because it's complete garbage they will all take credit for a strong economy and good job numbers but they want to blame something else when those numbers go down or the economy doesn't do too well. What baffles me is the debt this p.m. has ran up and the deficit that he has ran since the day he was elected and yet we don't even talk about that anymore. It's almost like we are going to go through the Trudeau senior days into the Mulroney days where we just spend like drunken Sailors and rack up massive debt. It's too bad people don't understand that's not a key for success and it put Canada in an age where they had to cut everything just to get the debt down and the deficit down and people seem to want to do it again and will be the same people that will cry because services are cut. One day I hope we learn from our mistakes.

I have never seen a politician of any ilk who would not write a cheque if he/she could get away with it. Turdeau Sr. ran $50 billion deficits as a matter of course. IMHO he was the one who started all this. In the last election JT ran on deficit spending and Scheer didn't really challenge him. It is the bggest weakness in conservative thought. The inability to communicate a rationale process for government spending. When debt becomes a opioid for societies ills the outcomes will not be pretty. 

50 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

the difference with old Bri is he was transforming Canada into a different tax system and trade system. Not sure what we're getting with Trudeau's debt. The one piece I was excited about was the infrastructure bank, but thats in a bit of a failure to launch mode.