The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada loses 71,200 jobs in the biggest drop in employment in a decade

Ryan Strome

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You have a severe inability to process information don't you?  When people respond to you take a second and read what they say.  If you respond just for the sake of response you never learn anything

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

Name a more iconic CDC forum rivalry than the one between @Ryan Strome and @Warhippy.

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

They need to have their own thread where they can work out all the angst between them :)

I actually like the guy.

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

CDC's own Odd Couple perhaps? Stromer definitely is the salty one - almost think he needs a hug :)

Very salty, and yes I need a hug!! But who is giving the hug?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I lived thru it. Does that count? 

CBC News 02-11-2016

Year     Deficit                    PM              Year     Surplus               PM

75-76   -28.37 Billion       Trudeau    98-99       + 14.25 Billion    Chretien

74-75   - 27.87  "                  "            99-00      + 19.89    "               "

76-77     - 41.8    "                  "          00-01       + 8.0       "               "

77-78   -  46.0   "                  "            01-02        + 6.6      "               "

79-80   - 43.1    "                  "            04-05        + 13.2    "          Martin

80-81   - 41.5    "                  "            05-06       + 13.7     "               "

81-82   - 68.88  "                  "            06-07       +  9.6      "          Harper

82-83   - 71.53  "                  "

83-84   - 77.88  "                  " 

Total:    - 446.8 Billion of deficit spending

Pretty crude effort but I am not a techie. Bottom line is that in 14 years as PM Trudeau never produced a balanced budget.

And yet this CBC site has Trudeau Sr. with a highest deficit of   72.76 billion in 1984. And it appears to have lower numbers for the deficit for all the years under Trudeau than the numbers you posted.

Funny thing , you'd think it would be easy to find the correct stats on Statistics Canada website, but I gave up after a 10 minute search.

https://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/canada-deficit/debt.html

Edited by gurn
to add the link

1 hour ago, canuckster19 said:

I don't understand how it can be so volatile... is someone adding a zero when they shouldn't be or something?

Who even knows anymore.

Some days Canada's on track.  Others it's a smoking hole that liberalism has destroyed.  Some days it's the greatest country on earth others it's an economic wasteland.

I just want my 150 proof hot chocolate and the game to start

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

If you don't mind PM me what you just said there about Mulroney or elaborate more in this thread I don't know how much space it'll take up but I'm not really sure what you're actually saying. Like I understand NAFTA but I don't know what you mean by tax system. Unless you're talking about the GST but I'm not sure why either of those caused massive debt.

oh thats easy - went from a buried 13% manufacturers tax to a 7% input credit value added tax. It transformed things for manufacturers and  many other businesses. Basically we went from 13% tacked on to everything that made us uncompetitive to what the rest of the globe was doing. 

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm convinced they are roommates. 

I can see them pushing each other off the only computer to get their retort in.

5 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

They need to have their own thread where they can work out all the angst between them :)

I dunno if one thread can handle all that angst. 

Maybe a new sub-forum.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, TheAce said:

Regardless of whatever political spin people want to put on this, over 70k people lost there jobs right before Christmas and thats a sad thing. I really hope our government can put aside differences and start doing things that will benefit the people instead of worrying about scoring political points.

I haven't taken the time to dig into the data but I did see the losses were split between full and part time jobs.

I suspect a decent chunk of the reported job losses were temporary election workers. That's just a guess on my part though.

I did take a quick look at the numbers since the recession and I see Canada has had a total of 11 months where the number of job gains for a single month were greater than the 71k jobs lost this month (example +more than 71k). I'd take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh thats easy - went from a buried 13% manufacturers tax to a 7% input credit value added tax. It transformed things for manufacturers and  many other businesses. Basically we went from 13% tacked on to everything that made us uncompetitive to what the rest of the globe was doing. 

Oh, so you're saying the government took a 6% hit for the short term and transition period? I mean that would help explain his massive debt. I believe he also governed through a recession did he not? Not making excuses just asking. 

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

I can see them pushing each other off the only computer to get their retort in.

I dunno if one thread can handle all that angst. 

Maybe a new sub-forum.

He didn't show up for drinks at the copper mug when I was in Penticton so I've been butt hurt ever since

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

He didn't show up for drinks at the copper mug when I was in Penticton so I've been butt hurt ever since

Well you are an adopted Albertan now...... so of course you are good at getting Salty.........

Edited by kingofsurrey

11 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Do you honestly think if trump or Harper had these numbers or sheer for that matter the same people would defend it? Believe me I already know the answer. Also isn't this the second straight month of job loss? On top of that this is the most jobs lost in one month since the global recession.

I understand the huge drop aspect, but unless it becomes a trend, it could be considered a correction in the job market after a robust period.

We both know people are tribal about their politics and of course the shoe would be on the other foot if it was a conservative in power.  That's part of the ugliness of modern politics.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I understand the huge drop aspect, but unless it becomes a trend, it could be considered a correction in the job market after a robust period.

We both know people are tribal about their politics and of course the shoe would be on the other foot if it was a conservative in power.  That's part of the ugliness of modern politics.

My biggest issue is the majority of all jobs created by JT are low paying jobs. Most Canadian born individuals won't even do these jobs. Is this the case under Trump also?

• Like 2

On 12/6/2019 at 6:08 PM, Ryan Strome said:

Canada’s job market unexpectedly weakened for a second-straight month, registering the biggest drop in employment since 2009 and casting doubt on the resiliency of the domestic outlook.

The economy lost 71,200 jobs in November, Statistics Canada said Friday in Ottawa, following a decline of 1,800 in the prior month. That pares the total number of jobs added this year to around 285,100.

http://nationalpost.com/news/economy/canadas-economy-loses-71200-jobs/wcm/9f168108-b65d-4ffb-a6a2-120b8f5f2bfe

Housing starts slowing.  Our economy is a facade.  We need to get back to our resource based industries.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh, so you're saying the government took a 6% hit for the short term and transition period? I mean that would help explain his massive debt. I believe he also governed through a recession did he not? Not making excuses just asking. 

pretty much. It was a much bigger deal than that tho. Imagine having the stones to go from a hidden tax to one one that the public see's on every receipt. It was the right thing to do but I have a hard time seeing any modern politician having that kind of spine.  

Its easy to understand, imagine instead of you being able to get back all the GST you pay to run your trucking biz, you replace that with you paying 13% on everything your business buys. It was a huge deal for manufacturers in particular. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, gurn said:

And yet this CBC site has Trudeau Sr. with a highest deficit of   72.76 billion in 1984. And it appears to have lower numbers for the deficit for all the years under Trudeau than the numbers you posted.

Funny thing , you'd think it would be easy to find the correct stats on Statistics Canada website, but I gave up after a 10 minute search.

Statscan sucks.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, gurn said:

I gave up on the StatsCan just as quickly. The article from the CBC that I got those numbers from was dated Feb.11th, 2016. My thought in checking this out was a comparison between the two Trudeaus. Bottom line is that the son is running smaller deficits in a much larger economy. I am not justifying his spending on that basis just trying to outline the scale. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pretty much. It was a much bigger deal than that tho. Imagine having the stones to go from a hidden tax to one one that the public see's on every receipt. It was the right thing to do but I have a hard time seeing any modern politician having that kind of spine.  

Its easy to understand, imagine instead of you being able to get back all the GST you pay to run your trucking biz, you replace that with you paying 13% on everything your business buys. It was a huge deal for manufacturers in particular. 

How on earth did Canada even have any businesses here before him? 

10 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

My biggest issue is the majority of all jobs created by JT are low paying jobs. Most Canadian born individuals won't even do these jobs. Is this the case under Trump also?

It was the case under every president after Bill Clinton.  Dubya lost jobs overall after steering the world into a recession I believe, low paying jobs were a big problem with Obama, and continues with Trump.  Also, the unemployment numbers get slightly artificially deflated because of the way they define unemployment.

• Upvote 1