The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pacc, Stone, EK..U See a Trend Here?

Rate this topic

Weave this thread around another nearby one(Melnyk, Crazy Like A Fox?), & you got a rope strong enough to pull up the Titanic.

There's a shift in superstar $ contracts/youth emphasis occurring now, & Thank (Hockey) Gawds JB hasn't over-committed, & is perfectly poised to shape our future roster/contracts accordingly!

Teams like Doug Wilson & the dirty Snarks are(at least) 5 Frackin' yrs, in arrears!

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

What are you suggesting exactly? That we don't pay our stars?

You singled out Vegas and Dallas in the OP. Both teams' star salaries didn't seem to hold them back these playoffs. Vegas even doubled down, ditching a very good player on a mid-range salary to add another high-priced star.

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

You singled out Vegas and Dallas in the OP. Both teams' star salaries didn't seem to hold them back these playoffs. Vegas even doubled down, ditching a very good player on a mid-range salary to add another high-priced star.

And we will see how that goes, bear in mind the past 2 seasons when they went deep and also nearly won they had that mid ranged salary (Schmidt), this up coming season they are better at D but less so at centre because of percentage locked in D and in goal 

Good discussion !   If I am GM, I would be very hesitant signing a player (unless it is an elite player that consistently performs) that had an uptick in level of play heading into FA that had no real history of performing ie: JM and LE as Canuck examples.  Most I would offer would be two at most with some cost - especially, if the player is 30+.  

This is were drafting comes in and I am glad that JB (despite not drafting higher than 5th) was able to build a good & solid young core through the draft.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

It was about a yr back, & I was considering moves in the months leading up. So much ink is spilled by sports journos over players/contracts/deals, that often(in retrospect) don't really amount to a pinch of sh**. Duchene being another example. The team that jettisons the pricey, overrated garbage(in that case, Avs) wind up smellin like a rose.

Poile's another..attempted to finally go with an offensive flourish. Yet where did these high profile deals & signings get him? 12 mos later he's throwing costly cargo overboard, & trying to lighten the load.

I don't think many of these GM's are as "visionary" as a lot of scribes/TV talking heads would have us believing.. The WHOLE sh*t-show..incompetent GM's & overpaid, blathering press is likely something many of us could do ourselves(!);  or at least would all appreciate enduring as much, at about 20-25% salary of the needlessly exorbitant, silly F***ing amounts they're likely being paid.

• 7 months later...

So they say of the top 18 cap hit players, only 1(C Price) is still rolling in the final-8 teams.

Every yr seems to be more the case; a balanced roster is something GM's oughta' be aiming for.

The trend seemed to be developing in 2019, when I started this thread. Is it gaining momentum?

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2019 at 5:40 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

First let's establish parameters here: let's say in cases where teams acquire players who make(or immediately get signed to) 7 mill $ contracts(AAV), or higher. In terms of hit, this would constitute the star-superstar realm(particularly with MacKinnon making less). Many points:

1- Are these deals disappearing? Have GM's(& owners) decided the risk ain't worth it?

2- Is team composition changing? Having a player take up 8-12% of team spending limit, just trickles down weakness into your depth lines.

3- Blues & Bruins in last final seems to highlight this trending reality.

4- Did NJ BADDDly time things. Subban is a 9,000,000 $ lump, & the market for Hall might become a roadside kiosk. Dallas another textbook case study, for Xmas spending-exuberance.

5- Has the 4-6 mill/with term, heavy hitter, just gained influence in a new paradigm? If so, JB acquiring Miller might be cited as a GM textbook-masterpiece(with hindsight)

6- As for contracts, the Hogtown Leaves will probably be a neg lesson, for decades forward. UFAs can poison a well, just as quickly!

Posters, pls reference recent deals(perhaps past few seasons). Who has actually WON taking on big expenditures? Off the top of my noggin, would say ROR/StLoo is the obvious candidate, & last Dec(2018), apparently their GM was days from hosting a bloodybig yard sale(clearing house). They almost trashed the winning blueprint, emphasizing not to waver too quickly from a chosen route.

I feel there's a big lesson in all this, & believe JB(& co) are intimately aware. We're well positioned to change course, if need be.

1,yes. its called cap recapture penalty, the only reason teams made these big deals was to circumvent and/or the player is in the top 50 players in the game.

2,no. lets look at the playoffs. every team has usually at least 2 players making more than 7m, only the islanders has 1.

5, keeping your salaries to be below 7m is key. above 7m is reserved for the top 20 players in the game IMO. in this flat cap world Mcdavid is worth 10M max

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Vintage 1