The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Madison Bowey

13 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The Detroit team looks god awful on paper this year, after their first line its is essentially all plugs. Dennis Cholowski is a -21 in 28 games, Filppula is -27, and Athanasiou is -33 this year. 

For some sick reason I love seeing other teams suck socks.  And weren't the Wings supposed to have this superstar player in Dillon Larkin?  Ha Ha Ha!  Suck socks losers.  

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol 75.000 is nothing for cap relief  that we need   ,  and the canucks are still paying loui  so again getting bowey isn't free  ,  spin it any way you want   we cannot afford bowey until a trade is made   , which again is going to cost a prospect , a pick  or a good roster player   for a waiver wire pick up   ,   biega was traded because we couldn't afford him as a 7th dmen hence fantenberg  making league minimum as our 7th dmen  ,   

You are literally factually absolutely just wrong.  There are no negative cap implications to picking up Bowey, it is just not true any way you spin it.  I already explained it as fully as any person could possibly do.  The only move we would have to make is a roster spot move to waive a forward... and we have the ability to do that easily.  NO TRADES HAVE TO BE MADE TO FIT A GUY MAKING A MILLION DOLLARS!

Biega was not traded because we couldn't afford him.  He had already been waived and was costing zero on the cap.  ZERO, nothing, nada.  Benning even said he traded him to give him an opportunity.  We actually took back a useless contract in order to be respectful and good to Biega who had been a great guy in our organization.

The only even remote implication I already explained... if we ever become fully healthy we may have too many bodies and have to waive some guys.  In that case you have seen Bowey for a while and can decide if he is better to keep than a guy like Schaller... if not then you waive Bowey.  Even in that situation, you save money by keeping Bowey over Schaller... every possible situation equals Bowey being neutral (waived) or saving cap room rather than costing it.

You are just completely missing the fact that Bowey is making less than what can be buried in the minors and anyone making more than him who is sent to the minors for that roster spot is going to save MORE than his salary.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

You are literally factually absolutely just wrong.  There are no negative cap implications to picking up Bowey, it is just not true any way you spin it.  I already explained it as fully as any person could possibly do.  The only move we would have to make is a roster spot move to waive a forward... and we have the ability to do that easily.  NO TRADES HAVE TO BE MADE TO FIT A GUY MAKING A MILLION DOLLARS!

Biega was not traded because we couldn't afford him.  He had already been waived and was costing zero on the cap.  ZERO, nothing, nada.  Benning even said he traded him to give him an opportunity.  We actually took back a useless contract in order to be respectful and good to Biega who had been a great guy in our organization.

The only even remote implication I already explained... if we ever become fully healthy we may have too many bodies and have to waive some guys.  In that case you have seen Bowey for a while and can decide if he is better to keep than a guy like Schaller... if not then you waive Bowey.  Even in that situation, you save money by keeping Bowey over Schaller... every possible situation equals Bowey being neutral (waived) or saving cap room rather than costing it.

You are just completely missing the fact that Bowey is making less than what can be buried in the minors and anyone making more than him who is sent to the minors for that roster is going to save MORE than his salary.

Except Detroit would just claim him back and put him in the minors... So get over it we're not claiming this dud. He can't even stick with a BRUTAL Red Wings roster.... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Except Detroit would just claim him back and put him in the minors... So get over it we're not claiming this dud. He can't even stick with a BRUTAL Red Wings roster.... 

Yes... Detroit possibly claims him back... which means no negative implication to us at all if it doesn't work out.

• Upvote 1

I'm interested a bit?

Warhippy says he is a quality guy, so I can't say maybe this is like a Kassian move; and the guy just needs a change to remind him his career is in jeopardy.

And yet given a choice between a young guy who may put it all together or a player such as Schaller or Fantenberg I'm tempted.

I'd be talking to my pro scouts and thinking about it.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'm interested a bit?

Warhippy says he is a quality guy, so I can't say maybe this is like a Kassian move; and the guy just needs a change to remind him his career is in jeopardy.

And yet given a choice between a young guy who may put it all together or a player such as Schaller or Fantenberg I'm tempted.

I'd be talking to my pro scouts and thinking about it.

That is pretty much the decision.  It has nothing to do with cap implications and only about what specific bodies are on your 23 (or 22) man roster.

The short term decision would be whether Bowey is better to have than Eriksson.  Pretty easy decision in my mind who I would rather have.

The longer term decision is exactly what you suggest, the other bottom end roster players Schaller or Fantenberg... except that decision may never have to happen as it would necessitate us being fully healthy without anyone on LTIR.  If anyone has been following the team for the last decade or so, they know that is quite possibly never going to happen.  IF that decision ever has to be made, we still have the ability to ditch Bowey instead of Schaller if we don't like what we have seen to that point.

I would argue that Fantenberg has looked fine and we are better off dropping forward, we have carried 8D for years because of how often our players have gotten hurt and how difficult it is to get an extra body here from our farm team in the case of a last minute illness or injury.  Today is a perfect example.  Edler is not back for next game, and Benn is now ill and a question mark to be re-evaluated later... which uses up our 7th guy Chatfield already.  If anyone else gets sick or can't suit up for any reason on short notice, we have to start the game with 5 D and pray no one gets dinged up during the game.  Compare that with the same situation on forward and it is really easy to cover the 4-8 minutes of that 12th forward.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

For some sick reason I love seeing other teams suck socks.  And weren't the Wings supposed to have this superstar player in Dillon Larkin?  Ha Ha Ha!  Suck socks losers.  

Looks good on the Wings Alf. The Wings were getting a lot of accolades leading up to this year for their quick, up and coming re-build. Fact is the re-build is a tough go and it takes time. JB has done well. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

You are just completely missing the fact that Bowey is making less than what can be buried in the minors and anyone making more than him who is sent to the minors for that roster spot is going to save MORE than his salary.

lol im wrong   we are already in cap hell as it sits right now  and you think picking up some scrub from the scrap heap is going to make it better  ???  seriously    then your way to  solve the problem in getting bowey is to bury loui in the minors,   that's not free  lol    , we already have to waive guys when we get healthy and you want to throw an extra body on that  , and I am wrong  lol    jim benning must be stupid then  not running to scoop up bowey   all that to save 75,000 of cap space and spend a extra million   in salary   that makes no business sense what so ever   ,  what is 75,000 in cap going to do for us ?absolutely nothing  , we need millions in cap space not chump change  , you do have a boner for bowey  

21 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol im wrong   we are already in cap hell as it sits right now  and you think picking up some scrub from the scrap heap is going to make it better  ???  seriously    then your way to  solve the problem in getting bowey is to bury loui in the minors,   that's not free  lol    , we already have to waive guys when we get healthy and you want to throw an extra body on that  , and I am wrong  lol    jim benning must be stupid then  not running to scoop up bowey   all that to save 75,000 of cap space and spend a extra million   in salary   that makes no business sense what so ever   ,  what is 75,000 in cap going to do for us ?absolutely nothing  , we need millions in cap space not chump change  , you do have a boner for bowey  

We are not in cap hell at all.  I would suggest that you go out and play with an armchair GM program.  Any iteration of a healthy 23 man roster leaves us under the cap, regardless of who we have to bury to get down to that mandated roster.  
Don’t conflate actual dollars with cap space, it seems to confuse you and you are all over the map.

This is all math, not opinion.  Do the actual math rather than spouting off.  The stuff you are saying about a Bowey making our cap worse is literally mathematically impossible, so yes you are wrong.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

We are not in cap hell at all.  I would suggest that you go out and play with an armchair GM program.  Any iteration of a healthy 23 man roster leaves us under the cap, regardless of who we have to bury to get down to that mandated roster.  
Don’t conflate actual dollars with cap space, it seems to confuse you and you are all over the map.

This is all math, not opinion.  Do the actual math rather than spouting off.  The stuff you are saying about a Bowey making our cap worse is literally mathematically impossible, so yes you are wrong.

yes we will be when players  come back    there is nothing wrong with my math      bowey  1,000,000    loui sent down 1.075000   save 75,000  in cap   so    spend a million in cash on bowey to gain 75,000  in cap  yet  you still have to pay loui his money regardless  so that is paying a million to gain 75,000 in cap space   so perhaps  you should do the math before spouting off  ,    ,   I know the difference between cap and actual dollars and your spending actual dollars to gain measly cap space   

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2