The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Last night was the lowest attended Leafs game in over 19 years

Rate this topic

DonaldBrashear

Last night's game against the Toronto Maple Leafs did not sellout. Attendance was listed at 18,290, which means about 600 tickets went unsold. That means last night's game was the lowest attended leafs game in 19+ years. The last time a game had lower than that was October 16, 2000 when the attendance was 16,496.

Edited by DonaldBrashear
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Coilers had a ton of empty seats last night vs Carolina. The announced attendance was the classic sham too. The estimate was at least 2000 empty seats. It's just too expensive and with tough economic times, even rock solid attendance markets are hurting. These 'arenas' are multi use entertainment facilities and have less appeal to the sweat pant/jersey wearing crowd. 

51 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Cue the excuses. Its a Wednesday, its exam week, it was raining, too expensive, skytrain was down, etc, etc......

I got one - Canucks fans were worried the much improved Leafs were going to beat them soundly, and not many Canucks fans want to pay top dollar to see that. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, apollo said:

Wait what? That's a shocker... Tickets weren't sold out? 

So ticketmaster had tickets? Maybe they just priced them too high? 

Yep... I checked an hour or so before the game and there were at least 500 tickets for sale on the map. Some sections had huge chunks. Tons of them. Lowest priced was something insane like $150 a ticket plus fees. At this point tickets were going on the secondary market for around $50 a ticket, so obviously no one would pay ticketmaster full price. Not sure what happened because a few weeks ago the Toronto game was listed as "sold out". I guess the Canucks held too many tickets back and assumed they would sell and got caught with too many left.