The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Last night was the lowest attended Leafs game in over 19 years

Rate this topic

DonaldBrashear

I have noticed that on TV, fewer Leafs fan in attendance I could remember.  Signs of time that tickets is simply too expensive to attend, even for a Leafs fan?   I am not a Leafs fan but good riddance.   I have mentioned that years ago it takes about 3-4 generations for demographic changes to be made when Leafs comes to the town when people was complaining that Leafs taking over the arena.   Maybe one or two more generations before I see very few Leafs fans become like a Blackhawks fans attending a Canucks game and it's not very noticeable every time a visitor team scores a goal.

On 12/11/2019 at 12:22 PM, Templeton Peck said:

The premium ticket pricing for certain teams like The Leafs probably doesn't help any either.

Agreed, $150 to spend on 1 ticket for 3 hours of entertainment is not feasible for most people. Watch the latest movie in theaters with concession food with a family of 4 and it still doesn’t cross that mark. There are more and more options for people to do things at less expensive prices these days.

Price them at $25-50 a ticket and they’ll sell out like hot cakes. Concession is also getting ridiculously expensive for less and less. Why not just stay home and watch the game together saving over a $200 bill? And with restaurant delivery basically everywhere with multiple companies offering cheap options you can still get better food and spend less not going to the game. A win-win for many. Looks like a lot of fans are choosing to do just that.

Stopped going to games years ago 

why not chill at home which a great HD view of the games paying ridiculous prices for tickets, food and transportation?

the league is priced out of range for most fans and if they are cool with that it’s all good. If the league crumbles under the greed of players and owners I am good with that at well 

all I can do is hold onto my dollars and watch if some sucker like Rogers pays a fortune for rights

the league wants corporate money, suites. That money has been there but it’s starting to dry up as companies look to cut costs

there is a serious pro sports market correction coming soon 

• Upvote 1

The issue now is, watching on the game on HD TV is just as good as being at a game (depending on your seats of course).  Plus you can watch multiple games at once at home, while you're stuck watching the in between whistles stuff at a live game.  We are in a time where everybody wants things instantly.  

On 12/11/2019 at 10:37 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

People runnin' outa' funny money? that becomes serious

When you say running out of funny money are you referring to funny - as in people don't have fun money because of the sky high ticket prices and cost of living here?  Or, are you referring to funny money, as is money from illegal sources like from the Richmond based illegal fentanyl importation business or money laundering money?

Edited by RU SERIOUS

On 12/11/2019 at 12:53 PM, Virtanen#18 said:

Gotta be the ever-increasing high cost of living here.... rent/mortgage... time to move to Alberta or Manitoba... where ppl get to save up more $ and have no other entertainment other than hockey!

That's what smart people are doing as they they realize that there is a better life back in the normal part of Canada..   Why be forever in debt and no money to spend?  Thats no life at all!

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 10:04 AM, beni said:

Why on earth would anyone want to Vacation in Vancouver? Ew ::D

The perks of AB are a big plus, for sure. 

I have to admit - there is some great places there and certainly a much better affordability that here - where there is 0% hope that most young people will ever afford a home.

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I have to admit - there is some great places there and certainly a much better affordability that here - where there is 0% hope that most young people will ever afford a home.

Or even take their young families out to an NHL game like I was so lucky to experience several times growing up in the 70’s and 80’s. Those are not only treasured memories of bonding and togetherness but helped deepen my love of the game itself, allowing me to see live what had mostly been images drawn from those evocative voices I heard on the radio. 

I appreciate the access afforded by all visual streams available but there’s really nothing like being at a game in person.

And I appreciate all those who are willing (or eager) to buck up the cash at the live gate and allow me to sit on my very comfortable couch, serve myself ice coldies whenever I please and take a leek without waiting in a lineup or worrying what I just stepped in.

On 12/12/2019 at 12:04 PM, beni said:

Why on earth would anyone want to Vacation in Vancouver? Ew ::D

The perks of AB are a big plus, for sure. 

I’m in Mexico right now, enjoying all the saved money from gas, PST, extra liquor tax, etc, etc.