The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Eriksson + (?) for Brown

aGENT

1 minute ago, mll said:

LA is rebuilding.  Setting the right culture and having the right veterans to help develop their young players is also important for success.  Brown was their C for a while and is still their 2nd most used F, behind Kopitar, with some 19 minutes a night.

What's the cost to go from someone that seems to be trusted by McLellan to someone that barely plays.  

spacer.png

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

You are IMO.

You know who else was 'too skinny to translate'? 

I'll give you a hint, we'll likely be paying him $10m+ in a couple years.

Does his name rhyme with Fetterson?

Edited by BrockBoester
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

imo, we should keep louie and try to talk him into retiring after this season and after he gets his 3 mil signing bonus. stay away from more bad contracts. 

That's the dream. Failing that however, I'd happily target Brown.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree that Tyler Madden will be even better than his father, but I don't know if he will sign with us, or choose to complete his fourth year, and reach UFA status.  He's tiny, and will need extra time to put on the weight.  Why come out early, and play in Utica, when he could stay in college, and use that extra year or two there to put on the weight.  Plus, he reaches UFA status, and can choose where he believes his chances to play are the best.  

I totally agree Tyler Madden is going to be a very good NHL player, but I wonder if it will be with us.  Trading him now could be a preventative measure, and still using him while he has value to us.  

They said same thing about me.  I was too small, only 170 pounds.  Look at me now, I gain lots of weight and am superstar.  Tyler will be star player in 3 years, I promise.  He will be best right winger in league after Brock...  :)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You are IMO.

You know who else was 'too skinny to translate'? 

I'll give you a hint, we'll likely be paying him $10m+ in a couple years.

well, really? that kind of potential out of Madden? 

maybe IF he even hits Gaudettes numbers in college we can start talking about him competing with AG for a job. He's not there yet but I also don't watch anything but the highlights, reports, etc. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, really? that kind of potential out of Madden? 

maybe IF he even hits Gaudettes numbers in college we can start talking about him competing with AG for a job. He's not there yet but I also don't watch anything but the highlights, reports, etc. 

I'm not saying he has 'Pettersson potential', merely that the same things were said about his weight. But he's far more skilled than Lockwood.

Edited by aGENT

Just now, aGENT said:

I'm not saying he has 'Pettersson potential' but he's far more skilled than Lockwood.

seems likely.

But LAs not going to do an in-division trade without getting some value. If Hansen gets you Goldy, then I can't see them moving Brown to us for Loui for anything less than Madden, given how he's also not under contract. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I like the idea of Brown, but the term and dollars is a no.  The longer LE stays up, when clearly he should be in Utica tells me that he's retiring after his July 2020 bonus.  That's better than having Brown on the books for the extra years.  

If JB doesn't have the gentleman's deal with LE, then I'd want to make the deal, but would include Madden (who is light (155) still, so may stay the full four years in college to mature more physically) and keep Lockwood.  

Send him down he either retires or opts out of his contract to play somewhere else, there's no way he's riding the bus

• Like 1

I like the idea of getting a guy who can help produce (a bit) as well as play our physical style.

I would not, however, be willing to give up a high end prospect to make it happen. Goldobin, Lockwood, etc is fine with me but Madden or higher is a no-go.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, RonMexico said:

For a 35 yo player? Not gunna happen even if his last two seasons were a bit of a renaissance for him. You just aren't recovering a top end young asset. Think of like a Burrows return. 

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Firstly, minimal was both in quotes and is subjective. So you can't say it's "not happening" as though it's fact. ;)

Secondly, he may not have Eriksson's negative value but he doesn't exactly have overwhelmingly positive value either. He's a 35 year old player with declining production, a NTC and the better part of $13.5m in actual cash still owing. 

I'd suggest their values are not as far apart as you suggest. Do we need to add? Yes. Do we need to add a top prospect as you suggest? I don't think so. They gain actual cash as well as (much needed) rebuild pieces. 

Just to be clear, I'd never do that deal for these players, just think that's what the King will be asking for it to be worthwhile.

But it cost the Leafs a 1st rounder for someone to take Marleau.  While we are not in cap trouble like the leafs, Eriksson's value is worst than Marleau IMO with 1 more year and worst stats.  While Brown is getting older, he's still the Kings third highest scorer, so they see value in him.  Both Marleau and Brown are still useful players, Eriksson is not.

Anyway, you're not going to ship Eriksson out for Brown by adding a 3rd/4th or 5th rounder or mid-level prospect.  Nobody will touch Eriksson with a 10 foot pole.

Edited by timberz21

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Just to be clear, I'd never do that deal for these players, just think that's what the King will be asking for it to be worthwhile.

But it cost the Leafs a 1st rounder for someone to take Marleau.  While we are not in cap trouble like the leafs, Eriksson's value is worst than Marleau IMO with 1 more year and worst stats.  While Brown is getting older, he's still the Kings third highest scorer, so they see value in him.  Both Marleau and Brown are still useful players, Eriksson is not.

Anyway, you're not going to ship Eriksson out for Brown by adding a 3rd/4th or 5th rounder or mid-level prospect.  Nobody will touch Eriksson with a 10 foot pole.

What about Jimmy's Stecher suggestion? If we're not planning on retaining him, I'd certainly consider Stecher +/-.