The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ideas If We CRASHED Into January?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

I'm hoping for an open-ended thread, that'll lend itself to ideas, input & discussion on the team's rebuilding pace. Unsure if there's appetite for it, but here's the hypothetical:

Dec becomes an absolute drag(2-7, last 9 games)..& we stumble/fumble into 2020 w/38 pts, in 40 games. All skaters stay at about the pt % they're currently on. Edler is back in mid, late Jan, maybe only Ferland is LTIR.

(pls accept these given^ variables, for ease of thread debate/discussion). Then I'd like to hear from any/all posters, your ideas for the season's 2nd half, if this(or fairly close) were to transpire. A few that I can start off with:

1- We're NOT gonna pull a StLoo. for anyone who might point back to that. No, our key guys would still be simply too young.

2- So do you trade some value/key guys, to collect picks AND stealth-tank? I feel this would be a very fair question/idea.

3- Sign Jacob? Trade him? Keep status-quo w/our tandem?

4- What to do about the head coach? Is he down to wks/season-end?

5- Focus more returns(from deals) on youth to help Comets? EG: More young prospects in return, than picks?

*****some random opinions*****

I'd like Tram back in black. A 3 or 4 yr deal, around 10-12 mill should entice. I'd trade Tanev & maybe the Big Tuna. For these types, a 2nd & prospect probably is worthwhile.

Maybe move Benn to RhD-side? Let's try some of our depth, young D in 2nd half, especially Sautner & Brisebois. What do we REALLY have in these young players?

If they implode..who cares? 2020 1st just keeps inching higher. Rafferty is debatable(he's really styling down there..maybe let him run w/it). OJ needs time, so don't rush him.

- accept some 2021 picks(instead of 2020) if you can upgrade the rounds, for some of our fwds, say. Patience

- Let's roll the dice more with youth in the 2nd half. DON'T recall kids, just so they make the F***ing coffee.

- Trade some vets, & sign some college kids(Lockwood, Madden, Rathbone)

We'll still have lots of vets in 2020-21(Edler, Myers, JT, Beags, etc...), but I think it's time that over half our roster SHOULD be guys under 25. Roll with it(the good & bad) & just let them GROW together.

• Cheers 1

I really hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that Ferland is going to be shut down for at least this season. If he just tweaked something upper body, due to being on the sidelines for so long, that one thing. If this is concussion based, I don't think the team has any choice but to shut him down, pending a much longer term medical evaluation on whether he should EVER resume playing.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'm hoping for an open-ended thread, that'll lend itself to ideas, input & discussion on the team's rebuilding pace. Unsure if there's appetite for it, but here's the hypothetical:

Dec becomes an absolute drag(2-7, last 9 games)..& we stumble/fumble into 2020 w/38 pts, in 40 games. All skaters stay at about the pt % they're currently on. Edler is back in mid, late Jan, maybe only Ferland is LTIR.

(pls accept these given^ variables, for ease of thread debate/discussion). Then I'd like to hear from any/all posters, your ideas for the season's 2nd half, if this(or fairly close) were to transpire. A few that I can start off with:

1- We're NOT gonna pull a StLoo. for anyone who might point back to that. No, our key guys would still be simply too young.

2- So do you trade some value/key guys, to collect picks AND stealth-tank? I feel this would be a very fair question/idea.

3- Sign Jacob? Trade him? Keep status-quo w/our tandem?

4- What to do about the head coach? Is he down to wks/season-end?

5- Focus more returns(from deals) on youth to help Comets? EG: More young prospects in return, than picks?

*****some random opinions*****

I'd like Tram back in black. A 3 or 4 yr deal, around 10-12 mill should entice. I'd trade Tanev & maybe the Big Tuna. For these types, a 2nd & prospect probably is worthwhile.

Maybe move Benn to RhD-side? Let's try some of our depth, young D in 2nd half, especially Sautner & Brisebois. What do we REALLY have in these young players?

If they implode..who cares? 2020 1st just keeps inching higher. Rafferty is debatable(he's really styling down there..maybe let him run w/it). OJ needs time, so don't rush him.

- accept some 2021 picks(instead of 2020) if you can upgrade the rounds, for some of our fwds, say. Patience

- Let's roll the dice more with youth in the 2nd half. DON'T recall kids, just so they make the F***ing coffee.

- Trade some vets, & sign some college kids(Lockwood, Madden, Rathbone)

We'll still have lots of vets in 2020-21(Edler, Myers, JT, Beags, etc...), but I think it's time that over half our roster SHOULD be guys under 25. Roll with it(the good & bad) & just let them GROW together.

step 1  , get lead pipe  

step2    find loui

step3   loui  has to retire due to 2 sore knee caps

that what we need to do first ,before anything else

• Haha 2

um

well if what you project is realized

and i think you are being exceedingly pessimistic

why not just project they loose 10 games in a row?

then the facts as i see them are as follows:

team talent is much better then last season

the d is much more solid and clearly improved and goals against are down

miller was obtained and the offense is producing more then last season

team has been healthier this season so far then last

yet the team is performing no better then last season???

how can that be?

since it is not a roster talent issue, as that is clearly improved

then it has to be a coaching issue

and i'd turf green

find a replacement coach who would work with this existing roster

only players that should be considered moveable at or before the tdl

are loui and any player who might be a ufa this offseason

so marky must resign before tdl or be moved

same with tanev

and both need to sign team friendly deals

i think people are over reacting

nucks have a lot of home games to play this month still

and i cannot see them having 38 points at the end of the year

i think they will maintain a point pace of 4 to 6 points higher then games played

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

um

well if what you project is realized

and i think you are being exceedingly pessimistic

why not just project they loose 10 games in a row?

Let's call it a BDT(boredom Day Thread)..& since we're all mostly just twiddlin' thumbs...

(at least there's some firings to entertain the lemmings)

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Waive LE

trade sutter

trade Tanev

convince Tryamkin to return

give Rafferty a good look in the nhl.

start shopping guys early don’t wait for the day before the deadline and be confused why there wasn’t a deal.  

look at what might be lost in expansion if it’s a valuable younger asset then make trades to make sure he can be protected or get a return. 

Not sure green and his staff survive a major plunge

The 80mill roster falls on one guy who’s on his second coach,JB should be on the hot seat to if we pick top ten. 

12 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Waive LE

trade sutter

trade Tanev

convince Tryamkin to return

give Rafferty a good look in the nhl.

start shopping guys early don’t wait for the day before the deadline and be confused why there wasn’t a deal.  

look at what might be lost in expansion if it’s a valuable younger asset then make trades to make sure he can be protected or get a return. 

Not sure green and his staff survive a major plunge

The 80mill roster falls on one guy who’s on his second coach,JB should be on the hot seat to if we pick top ten. 

So you want Jim Benning to make all those moves and then you want Jim Benning fired if that results in a top 10 pick?:sadno:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Canucks will go on a 10 game win streak , sometime in December and be the top of the Pacific when Jan comes. The mid Jan before the all-star break the Canucks will lose a few games in a row just so you can make another post titling “What if we crashed into the Trade deadline”:metal:

Edited by ruilin96
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

exceedingly optimistic

but i like this approach better

:towel:

I was just being sarcastic and try to mock OP a bit here. Posted before I finished the whole thing but I would like to see a 10 game win streak at some point :metal:

40 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Canucks will go on a 10 game win streak , sometime in December and be the top of the Pacific when Jan comes. The mid Jan before the all-star break the Canucks will lose a few games in a row just so you can make another post titling “What if we crashed into the Trade deadline”:metal:

We need a new emoji..sad face with a tear drop! :^/

• Haha 2

I think Tanev is a legitimate question, but unless we find an upgrade we can't let him walk. There is still a first round pick in the balance for us & we have nothing coming up in our system to replace him. 

We should use our time with Markstrom. I like the idea of Demko being our guy & trading Markstrom before the expansion draft (if possible, or letting him be the guy we lose) but Demko needs to show more. Its still just his rookie year, so use our time on that front.

I do wonder about Virtanen's future. He's just what he is as a Canuck, he's not getting it. Ferland & Roussel have been brought in as examples & he just doesn't play that style. Leivo came in (as a much less gifted player) and is a much better player than Jake. I just don't think he's a PWF but if we play that card right maybe he's an asset we use to add an important piece.

We can't "steal tank", this team is on the rise whether we make it or not. As far as the coaching staff, I think they stay around, although I am concerned about our approach to in zone defense.

We gotta figure out a way to upgrade our team from here, 5 on 5 scoring needs to improve & our defense still needs to improve. Hughes will get better but beyond that we are probably relying on Myers to be a bit too much, Tanev & Edler are getting older (and Tanev is a question mark). If we can find another good defenseman that would be huge, but it will be hard to do & I don't know if Tyson Barrie is the answer to that question either.

Our playoff chances this year are still up in the air & how are we going to improve next year besides hoping our young players are much better? As great as Miller has been the jury is still out on the cost to make that move.