The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

And People are wondering why this guy is upset

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Baer. said:

The man may not be a racist but his actions certainly were.

thats an important distinction, and one where a little education can help. If you know full well that its wrong and you still do it, well then yeah, you're a racist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

BS . if you think something is wrong you call out right away. thee fact he took a picture say he was enjoying the moment.

what would you  do in   1 vs 100   situation  I doubt anyone would speak up why because you are simply out numbered  . your in a no win  situation  you speak up well your not a team player , there goes your chance to play in the nhl  remember there was management at the party   and it is the trainer dressed in black face  , what is a 20 yo kid going to say  when your dream is to play  in the nhl  ,  he had no choice but to swallow his pride and go along with it 

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

@Tortorella's Rant Sure, laugh. Why don't you go ahead and tell me about all your experiences being the only black guy in an otherwise all white group?

I’m kind of surprised that not one of those at the party goers understood the depth of the racism in that whole episode, and stopped it before it happened.  It wasn’t for the victim to speak up (he was in shock) but another person there should have said the idea was incredibly ignorant.  

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Absolutely. When does some of the responsibility fall on the individual? If nobody ever stands up for themselves then they're going to keep getting pushed around and this sort of thing keeps happening. If I come over to your place or business or your home with my friends and make you feel like garbage, are you going to sit there and take it? No, obviously not. At least I'd hope not. So what the hell is the difference here aside from the fact he's black. Quit making excuses. 

so are you going to speak up  if you were the only 20 yo white guy vs 100 "black "  teammates  , management   and others that hold your future in their hands .  your not saying a word  guaranteed  .  

22 minutes ago, Baer. said:

The man may not be a racist but his actions certainly were.

And those other party people are complicit in the racism for not speaking up.  His bloody teammates were there!  They couldn’t all be that friggin’ Ignorant could they? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’m kind of surprised that not one of those at the party goers understood the depth of the racism in that whole episode, and stopped it before it happened.  It wasn’t for the victim to speak up (he was in shock) but another person there should have said the idea was incredibly ignorant.  

Spot on, Alf. It's pretty damning that none of the people involved called out how uncool of a "joke" this was.

• Like 3

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Spot on, Alf. It's pretty damning that none of the people involved called out how uncool of a "joke" this was.

I was watching a touch football game many years ago, and one team had the Confederate flag they were flashing around.  There were some black players from other teams who talked to the team with the flag about its negative symbolism.  The flag was taken down, with many apologies.  It was really cool to see people talking and listening and learning.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, GarthButcher5 said:

This blackface stuff is very bizarre behavior. I mean, who does this kind of thing?

Maybe I grew up in a bubble or something but I have never seen this first hand nor seen anyone actually do it. It's really weird. 

Black face was part of comedy a century ago.  It is not funny.  It’s ignorant.  

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, Squamfan said:

but this is totally fine

The dude took a picture with him!!!!!!!!!  

again he was a plug but is blaming other people for his failed career.

I don't think either is fine.

Didn't exactly look impressed in that picture either.  I guess it is his fault for being the bigger person here.

Peter's opened himself up to questions on whether he treated Aiiu fairly by you now being overtly racist towards him.  Makes it reasonable to question whether his sending a promising prospect to a lower league had another motivation.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Black face was part of comedy a century ago.  It is not funny.  It’s ignorant.  

I think part of the problem in understanding here is that this was a uniquely American racist trope that only leaked up into Canada a little.

Canadian's often don't have a great perspective on what may or may not be considered racist in the US because we haven't had the degree of institutional racism that they have and still do.  Not saying we have none, we certainly have some and its voice has been growing.  

I remember when I was about 15, I spent a summer in the Chicago area and I did not have any perspective on some of the more benign statements that could be considered racist.  I remember asking a group of guys of various races "what are you boys up to today?" and one of the guys having to explain to another that I didn't understand that it could be considered racist, I didn't have the context of someone who grew up in that environment.  

Awareness is much greater now.  That being said you still see racism in pro hockey.  Wasn't that long ago that bananas were getting thrown on the ice and it is not unusual to still here some racist comments towards black players and other players of colour.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Tell me more about how this doesn't make him look like an opportunist drama queen when he's whining about it 8 years after the fact. Maybe he got bored and wanted the attention. Seriously. Whatever happened to standing up for ones self. You can be black and do this too. Or gay. Or transgender. Or literally anybody. People are such passive cowards it's unbelievable. Instead of confrontation, they'll sit there like a potted plant and feel like complete garbage.

what cultural wars were you fighting at 21?