The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks looking to re-sign Markstrom, add top-6 winger before deadline

Rate this topic

naslund.is.king

Credit Score.

Vancouver Canucks general manager Jim Benning is hoping to sign pending unrestricted free-agent goaltender Jacob Markstrom to a contract extension and add a top-six winger before the Feb. 24 trade deadline, he told Sportsnet's Iain MacIntyre on Wednesday.

"Yes, that's my plan," he said. "That's our goal. Jacob is an important guy in our locker room. He was a player we thought we could develop into a No. 1 goaltender. We've seen him get better and better every year. He's had some interruptions this year with his father, but we're past that now. We need him to be kind of where he left off last year."

The 6-foot-6 Swede has been remarkably consistent, owning a .912 save percentage for the third straight season.

However, 24-year-old netminder Thatcher Demko, who owns a .906 save percentage and a 3.00 goals-against average in 12 games this season, is also in the fold. If Markstrom re-signs, the Canucks would have to choose between the 29-year-old veteran and the former highly touted prospect when it comes to protecting just one goaltender for the 2021 Seattle expansion draft.

"There's a lot of time between now and the expansion draft," Benning said. "We'll figure that out as we get closer. Thatcher is a young goalie in this league and he's learning what it takes to be competitive and consistent every night. I think this is a good learning experience for him and we think he'll get even better down the road."

Even though the Canucks are three points out of a playoff spot, Benning is also looking to add a top-six winger.

"I try to keep in contact with all the other general managers in the league, and if there's something that fits and makes sense, we'll look at it," Benning said.

Benning attempted to complement his lethal one-two punch down the middle in Elias Pettersson and Bo Horvat by adding a pair of wingers during the offseason. He traded a conditional first-round pick, a third-round pick, and goalie Marek Mazanec to the Tampa Bay Lightning for J.T. Miller. He also signed free agent Micheal Ferland to a four-year contract with a cap hit of $3.5 million.

The addition of Miller has worked beautifully, as the 26-year-old is enjoying a career year with 31 points in 31 games. However, Ferland has been a disappointment, tallying just five points in 14 games while missing time due to injury.

JBs got this

• Cheers 3

Signing Marky makes a lot of sense. There's still all of this season and next to play and to worry about Seattle, a lot of things can happen between now and then. 

You have to wonder whats in the works for another "top 6" winger trade.... if not another 1st round pick then someone we picked in the 1st round must be on the table. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 2

I have no problem with re-signing Markstrom. He is entering the absolute prime of his career and he is a character guy in the locker room. Demko is our future, but he is 6 years younger than Markstrom. I would like to see us potentially sign Markstrom to a 2-3 year deal that would see him play maybe 55 games a year and Demko picking up around 27 games. I like the 1-2 combo. And if gives us a chance if one of them is hurt. I just hope Markstrom can be signed for under $4 million

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Signing Marky makes a lot of sense. There's still all of this season and next to play and to worry about Seattle, a lot of things can happen between now and then. 

You have to wonder whats in the works for another "top 6" winger trade.... if not another 1st round pick then someone we picked in the 1st round must be on the table. 

I agree, re-signing Markstrom was something I always just assumed JB would do.

As far as adding a top 6 winger - to my knowledge we're up against it as far as the cap goes.  Any trade has to be salary out = salary in at this point, no?   It can't just be a prospect for a top 6 player as it won't work with the cap. 

Edited by Fanuck

7 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I have no problem with re-signing Markstrom. He is entering the absolute prime of his career and he is a character guy in the locker room. Demko is our future, but he is 6 years younger than Markstrom. I would like to see us potentially sign Markstrom to a 2-3 year deal that would see him play maybe 55 games a year and Demko picking up around 27 games. I like the 1-2 combo. And if gives us a chance if one of them is hurt. I just hope Markstrom can be signed for under $4 million

So he gets no raise and no term. Marky signs this why..?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I agree, re-signing Markstrom was something I always just assumed JB would do.

As far as adding a top 6 winger - to my knowledge we're up against it as far as the cap goes.  Any trade has to be salary out = salary in at this point, no?   It can't just be a prospect for a top 6 player as it won't work with the cap. 

thats true, I just figured a top pick or prospect would be part of it too. 

I don't really know realistically who Jim would be targeting... who's a legit "top 6" on an expiring small contract? Josh Anderson from CBJ? 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true, I just figured a top pick or prospect would be part of it too. 

I don't really know realistically who Jim would be targeting... who's a legit "top 6" on an expiring small contract? Josh Anderson from CBJ? 

I heard New Jersey has one that they’re hoping to move :ph34r:

• Haha 3

Marky's expected, it's just a matter of dollars and length. 

I'll be surprised if we can wrangle a legit top 6 guy though, we don't have a ton of cap space as is. It'd be interesting to see what a trade like that would look like. 

Lot of teams out there looking for offense. 

• Upvote 1

Looking at our prospect pool, I feel like we can afford to trade a defenseman and/or a winger not named Rathbone or Podkolzin for a Top 6 player. 

Honestly, if the player we're getting back is a legit top-6 27 or younger and not a rental, I'd be fine with parting with Podkolzin as well. 

I expect a few to disagree but with Hughes, Petey, Boeser, and Bo on ELC's/ reasonable contracts, we should be pushing to open our cup window now. I think Benning realizes that.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

Looking at our prospect pool, I feel like we can afford to trade a defenseman and/or a winger not named Rathbone or Podkolzin for a Top 6 player. 

Honestly, if the player we're getting back is a legit top-6 27 or younger and not a rental, I'd be fine with parting with Podkolzin as well. 

I expect a few to disagree but with Hughes, Petey, Boeser, and Bo on ELC's/ reasonable contracts, we should be pushing to open our cup window now. I think Benning realizes that.

Yeah but you risk handcuffing the team and being forced to move someone out. That's the risk involved.

We are going to get cap to sign someone but we are gonna have to wait for it. Loui, Lou, Pearson, Sutter, Leivo, Beagle, Roussel and others all gone within the next 2 more years after this one

IMO that gives us time for our young stars to become young vets and allows for more young guys on ELC's to come up and give us more cap space.

• Thanks 1

the only way the canucks can bring in another winger is if money and a forward go the other way.

ferland is supposed to be that guy, but his status is in limbo

a rental? no way jose 

another middle 20's 2nd line winger with term on his deal is available then ya that is the guy we need