The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks looking to re-sign Markstrom, add top-6 winger before deadline

Rate this topic

naslund.is.king

On 12/13/2019 at 5:42 AM, IBatch said:

Holtby or Markstrom...who would you take if you were Seattle?  

Edit:  this is where the risks are in re-signing Markstrom.  Demko is much more established at he same age (even though he's not as touted).   The ED really is a pain in our ass.   We could easily re-sign Markstrom and end up with no goalies taken - or like PIT have to pay to get them to take JM off our hands.   

Markstrom. Holtby could be a product of the the team he's on. Both are good goalies and you can make a case for either one

Trade Marky now.

Two reasons

The Nucks have to expose either Marky at 31 or Demko at 25 in the expansion draft.

Marky will be in his mid 30's by the time this younger group of players is ready for regular prime time appearances so either him or Demko is the goalie of the future, don't forget about DiPietro either.

The cap hit, Lots of raises needed over the next two years and can the team afford two goalies being paid 8+ mil? And then give one up to Seattle?

This is still a rebuilding team in need of draft picks, Markstrom's value is very high right now, making a deal with NJD, Montreal or TO could get back a 1rst round pick this year.

Get two firwt round picks this year and rebuild should be 90% finished especially if one of them is a top ten in this draft.

Open up cap space and trade flexibility. If needs be sign a vet to back up Demko next year, a 25 to 30 game guy.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Trade Marky now.

Two reasons

The Nucks have to expose either Marky at 31 or Demko at 25 in the expansion draft.

Marky will be in his mid 30's by the time this younger group of players is ready for regular prime time appearances so either him or Demko is the goalie of the future, don't forget about DiPietro either.

The cap hit, Lots of raises needed over the next two years and can the team afford two goalies being paid 8+ mil? And then give one up to Seattle?

This is still a rebuilding team in need of draft picks, Markstrom's value is very high right now, making a deal with NJD, Montreal or TO could get back a 1rst round pick this year.

Get two firwt round picks this year and rebuild should be 90% finished especially if one of them is a top ten in this draft.

Open up cap space and trade flexibility. If needs be sign a vet to back up Demko next year, a 25 to 30 game guy.

wow

drama queen much?

demko is on an elc for 2 more seasons past this one and his contract calls for him to be paid 800k per season on his elc

doubtful that marky will be getting 8 million per season

don't you think it more accurate to assume nucks will be able to keep both of these goalies on their roster

for a combined cap hit of 7.5 million or less for a least the next 2.5 seasons?

i guess you feel it strengthens your arguments to use baseless fact assumptions

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

The amount of people willing to bet the rebuild on a kid who's never even been a 1B in the league is insane to me. Have you people followed hockey? Stud goalie prospects bomb all the time when made a starter. Most teams in the league are running 1A/1B goalie tandems now. That's how the NHL works. What's wrong with signing Marky for 5 years and having him and Demko split starts as Demko grows into the 1A role over a few years and then takes over when Marky's contract is up? Does Demko expect to be one of 3 goalies in the league getting 60 starts? I doubt it.

If you want to make the playoffs in the next 2 years, you have to sign Marky. Management wants to make the playoffs in the next 2 years. They will sign Marky and offer up something to Seattle to protect Demko. So get ready to lose a decent young player (Virt) and a pick. That's the cost of expansion. Better than losing a top 10 goalie in his prime.

• Cheers 4

32 minutes ago, mephnick said:

The amount of people willing to bet the rebuild on a kid who's never even been a 1B in the league is insane to me. Have you people followed hockey? Stud goalie prospects bomb all the time when made a starter. Most teams in the league are running 1A/1B goalie tandems now. That's how the NHL works. What's wrong with signing Marky for 5 years and having him and Demko split starts as Demko grows into the 1A role over a few years and then takes over when Marky's contract is up? Does Demko expect to be one of 3 goalies in the league getting 60 starts? I doubt it.

If you want to make the playoffs in the next 2 years, you have to sign Marky. Management wants to make the playoffs in the next 2 years. They will sign Marky and offer up something to Seattle to protect Demko. So get ready to lose a decent young player (Virt) and a pick. That's the cost of expansion. Better than losing a top 10 goalie in his prime.

They will have to make one available to Seattle so if either is good it is possible they lose one for free, it is a chance of losing one for nothing again or getting something to build on for the future.

Marky will probably want over 5 a season and Demko around Marky money now, goalies are super important but so is cap space.

And this team is rebuilding

2 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

They will have to make one available to Seattle so if either is good it is possible they lose one for free, it is a chance of losing one for nothing again or getting something to build on for the future.

Marky will probably want over 5 a season and Demko around Marky money now, goalies are super important but so is cap space.

And this team is rebuilding

At this stage I haven't seen enough from Demko that he's a true number 1, so letting Markstrom walk for a question mark is insane. I'd be more comfortable moving forward with Markstrom/UFA/DiPietro over a Demko/UFA/DiPietro tandem. 

There is also the idea of a 1 year Markstrom extension making him ineligible for the expansion draft then signing him to longer term after.  

Edited by canuck73_3

On 12/12/2019 at 10:53 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true, I just figured a top pick or prospect would be part of it too. 

I don't really know realistically who Jim would be targeting... who's a legit "top 6" on an expiring small contract? Josh Anderson from CBJ? 

Yes please....

• Cheers 2

I’m all in for trading some young guys for  a top 6 around the same age as Horvat, Miller. We have 4 guys in the top 6 that are for sure top 6 worthy. I love Pearson and Leivo but not in the top 6 full time. Something along the lines of Madden, Gadjovich, Hoglander are the prospects I would look to deal. Now who’s available? We need help bad. 

On 12/12/2019 at 3:49 PM, Yung1 said:

Looking at our prospect pool, I feel like we can afford to trade a defenseman and/or a winger not named Rathbone or Podkolzin for a Top 6 player. 

Honestly, if the player we're getting back is a legit top-6 27 or younger and not a rental, I'd be fine with parting with Podkolzin as well. 

I expect a few to disagree but with Hughes, Petey, Boeser, and Bo on ELC's/ reasonable contracts, we should be pushing to open our cup window now. I think Benning realizes that.

Please name the players on ELC or bridge deals that contributed to their team winning a Stanley Cup in the last 11 years? 

It's not bridge deals nor league max that win cups but fair deals for the type of player/role contributing at the right time.

Terasenko, ROR, binnington (exclusion)

Carlson, wilson

Etc

Stl

Wash

Pitts

Pitts

Chicago

LA

Chicago

LA

Bos

Chi

Pitts

How many of those teams aside from STL had a Calder finalist the same year they won the cup?

20 hours ago, coastal.view said:

wow

drama queen much?

demko is on an elc for 2 more seasons past this one and his contract calls for him to be paid 800k per season on his elc

don't you think it more accurate to assume nucks will be able to keep both of these goalies on their roster

You’re completely wrong on Demko’s contract...it’s amazing that with all of the salary and contract info so easily available that you could be this wrong. Demko is on his 2nd contract, not his ELC, the AAV is over $1M not 800K and he’s only signed for one more year after this one not 2. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, coastal.view said:

wow

drama queen much?

I would trade Marky too, if Jim can get a first , do it. 

Your numbers would have us paying two goalies ten million......when we can trade Marky and prey for a top 15 pick and get a top six forward or a top four d man...

before you jump on my back about demko stilling being young , I would trade for an older started like example smith or talbot...smith can still steal a game with just his skill alone , imagine him working with out goalie coaches....kinda like when Lou first came to Van. 

If demko is the future then  Instead of signing Marky I rather trade him and try to find a cheaper replacement... 

Also picture say our draft luck changes and we draft any where from 10 to 15 and we could get Barron if we are lucky or from the reports Lucs Raymond hasn't been doing to hot in the shl so he could be in that group too. 

So please enlighten me on how signing Marky helps in the future? 

i watch as the Hawks won cups with  above average starting goalies , Canucks could do the same thing...

so let me ask what would help us more a first round pick or keeping a goalie we could replace in a year or two from within? 

19 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

At this stage I haven't seen enough from Demko that he's a true number 1, so letting Markstrom walk for a question mark is insane. I'd be more comfortable moving forward with Markstrom/UFA/DiPietro over a Demko/UFA/DiPietro tandem. 

There is also the idea of a 1 year Markstrom extension making him ineligible for the expansion draft then signing him to longer term after.  

So I guess trading Marky and signing a guy like smith or another older starter that you can split the season with.....isn't in your play book....

hawks did it with Rey emery Marty turco and the list goes on until Crawford showed up.....

Edited by RowdyCanuck
Grammar

19 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Having a player on an expiring contract doesn't protect him from the ED. Seattle could still take him.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:25 AM, filthycanuck said:

Markstrom. Holtby could be a product of the the team he's on. Both are good goalies and you can make a case for either one

For sure.  That said his body of work holds up much better.   Quality of chances meddle with sp to a certain degree but not that much.   Either goalie would be a good pick - Holtby would be the safer one though.