The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks looking to re-sign Markstrom, add top-6 winger before deadline

Rate this topic

naslund.is.king

The Canucks BIGGEST problem is the Canucks have too much money tied up in unproductive players 

6m - eriksson

6m - myers

4.45m - tanev

4.375m - sutter

3.5m - ferland

3m - beagle

3m - roussel

3.3m - baer

1.9m - schaller

plus 4m on the books for spooner and luongo

obviously they contribute other things to the line up and have reasons why there’s little production but That’s roughly half of our cap space (39.5m) scoring a total of 17 goals. 

they aren’t going anywhere till they get more from these players or get rid of them 

Edited by billabong
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Better than Olli, he still has trade value

Does he? Thought that guy was plying overseas because he couldn't make it here. And if he had trade value why wouldn't the Oil trade him and at least get something?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Better than Olli, he still has trade value

Actually no.  Pool party is on to his second contract, and requires waivers to be sent down.  While doing that, he’s only proven he is not an NHL ready player, and needs to develop more the defensive aspects of the game.  His offensive game doesn’t even come close to covering up for his lack of defensive awareness.  The Oilers will get another team’s stalled project, or a second round pick.  OJ is not a stalled project; he’s been injured.  He’s still maturing while in the AHL.  He doesn’t need waivers to move up and down.  He’s definitely more valuable than Pool party 

• Like 1

Canucks have a lot of bottom 6 players, and they're using some (Pearson, Leivo) to play in the Top 6. This won't do.

They have Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat in the Top 6, but they're still young players. Miller was a great addition, they need another player like Miller to play in the Top 6 to replace Pearson and/or Leivo.

The Canucks do have a few prospects that could be of value as well (Madden, Focht, Lockwood, Lind, DiPietro)

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

don't just put stupid numbers out there

i was corrected on demko . he gets 1.05 million

you think marky is going to get 9 million???
what is your 10 million based on??
i still see about 7.5 million for 2 goalies with marky resigned

explain how you get to 10 ?

Okay time for some stupid math....if you sign Marky this year for 6 to 8 mil for six years then why keep demko? Demko is going to want a raise after next season and demko will probably get around 3 mil or more cause I think he took this two year bridge contract to cash in on the next one. 

So my Stupid math would put that around 10 mil for the pair...in two years....

But if we are spending the money on Marky and that would mean his 1a so why risk losing demko for nothing?

So let’s say they re-sign Markstrom...the next question is, who’s willing to give Seattle a sweetener (aka, guessing at least a 2nd rd pick) not to take Demko? 

I’m thinking Seattle will have the choice of Stetcher, Virtanen or Demko at the expansion draft when the dust settles, with Demko being the most interesting to me. 

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

That works for me aslong as the Canucks get something for either marky or demko and I think the time is now cause Jim wants another first round pick 

Loui running over Demko in practice and injuring him sure didn’t help matters. :picard:

Canucks have scored the 2nd most goals in the western conference, they don't need another top 6 forward as much as they need a really solid system to play- oh yeah and they need elder back or another d man to come in and take some big minutes. Their depth on D is not awesome and they do not have a shut down d man  or a true # 1 d man.

they have an exciting group of young forwards coming up- Podz, hogs, madden, mcdough, Lind, gadjo. The d men in the system are less exciting, but there may be a good one out there- I bet on Rathbone over woo, utunen, brisebois... maybe Rafferty is the real deal?

would not be surprised if we go really heavy on D in the 2020 draft.

On 12/13/2019 at 2:13 PM, Sean Monahan said:

If I’m not mistaken, Marky would still be eligible to be selected even without a contract. It may be less enticing to Seattle given that there’s the risk of him simply walking to free agency, but they’d have the cap space to offer him a nice deal and it wouldn’t be a big move down the I-5 for him. It’s not really a magic fix to the expansion draft problem. 

So, here is what I have come up with....

Vancouver protects 7 forwards / 3 defensemen / 1 goalie which are under contract threw the 2021 - 2022 season, meaning at least 1 season after the 2020 - 2021 Season

Vancouver must protect all NMC's...……….(Tyler Myers is the only 1)…...no other clause, aka L-NMC, M-NTC or NTC, need to be protected (so they will be exposed if not protected)

1st and 2nd year RFA's are draft exempt (Hughes, Tryamkin, DiPietro, etc)………...Juolevi/Brisebois etc...….need to be protected or will be exposed

No players without contracts need be protected, because technically, they are not the Canucks property, they are UFA's and can sign with who ever they want, including Vancouver after the fact, (meaning after June 30, 2021

That is all I got ????

47 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, here is what I have come up with....

Vancouver protects 7 forwards / 3 defensemen / 1 goalie which are under contract threw the 2021 - 2022 season, meaning at least 1 season after the 2020 - 2021 Season

Vancouver must protect all NMC's...……….(Tyler Myers is the only 1)…...no other clause, aka L-NMC, M-NTC or NTC, need to be protected (so they will be exposed if not protected)

1st and 2nd year RFA's are draft exempt (Hughes, Tryamkin, DiPietro, etc)………...Juolevi/Brisebois etc...….need to be protected or will be exposed

No players without contracts need be protected, because technically, they are not the Canucks property, they are UFA's and can sign with who ever they want, including Vancouver after the fact, (meaning after June 30, 2021

That is all I got ????

The 7 forwards to be protected are in my opinion:

Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Virtanen, Gaudette. Space for one more the rest can be taken.

The 3 defense would be:

Myers(have to), Juolevi and one more. Tanev will be gone, Edler contract will be done and no way is Seattle wasting their pick on Stetcher or Benn. No need to protect Hughes 

goalies

Markstrom, no need to protect DiPietro, if Demko requires protecting then you give up a draft pick.