The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Subban on the Block?

Provost

8 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Watching Devils vs Avs they said Hall is a Healthy scratch something maybe brewin also the AVs commenters we’re raving about Hughe brothers plus the Quinn Makar battle. 

Subban id pass....no cap room now and there’s no cap room in the future for Subban on the Canucks....plus he’d probably be on team Seattle in the expansion draft. Just to drop his contract.

Agree, Subban would hand cuff us cap wise the same way Tavares has hand cuffed the Leafs.  The difference of course is that Johnny Pajama's can play

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, billabong said:

30 games, 5 points tagging along a -15 rating :shock:

9m cap hit for 2 more years after this season 

I mean, to be fair, he's playing on New Jersey.

Tyler Myers plays for the Canucks, is a -2, and only has 6 points. $6M x 6.

I don’t know if PK has really cared about hockey for a very long time. His off ice charities and celebrity appearances are what seem to annoy the teams he plays for because they are more important to him. While he means well , he doesn’t put hockey first. That’s the knock on him , besides being overpaid and   on a steady decline.

4 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Hughes for Subban? :bigblush:

I’m sure you meant Hughes AND Subban.

You know... Subban’s high salary and his rumoured locker room problem... 

I mean... if they really want to get rid of him... I wouldn’t force their hand but...

3 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Watching Devils vs Avs they said Hall is a Healthy scratch something maybe brewin also the AVs commenters we’re raving about Hughe brothers plus the Quinn Makar battle. 

Subban id pass....no cap room now and there’s no cap room in the future for Subban on the Canucks....plus he’d probably be on team Seattle in the expansion draft. Just to drop his contract.

Wouldn't having him for the purpose of the expansion be a positive? Protects the rest of the team without giving up a long term core player.

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

way too many locker room issues, huge pass.  Our group seems very tight, you can tell, last thing we want is a Subban here.

Poile already offered Subban to us for Gaudette + package and thankfully Benning declined.  I rather ice time be allocated to l like Juolevi or someone younger.

Poile also said he didn't want to move Subban. They thought highly of him. They wanted to get rid of his cap hit though and NJ was the only team willing to do it at full. With Benning's interest then and also even back when he was in Montreal, you'd have to think he'd be inquiring at what the cost of a retained Subban would be. If the locker room issues were such a big deal, I doubt Benning would've been targeting him twice before considering his statement about a respectful culture.

Subban seems to thrive in a more bigger city setting. Not sure how he would feel about playing here though after his comments about brother Jordan though.

So we know what Benning said no to. Subban's value has dropped further and we may have been interested before in acquiring him with retained cap at less than a Gaudette+ value. It'll be curious if he continues his pursuit of Subban.

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Wouldn't having him for the purpose of the expansion be a positive? Protects the rest of the team without giving up a long term core player.

With the way he’s playing and the potential of having to leaving other decent players available there’s no guarantee Seattle would even take Subban.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

With the way he’s playing and the potential of having to leaving other decent players available there’s no guarantee Seattle would even take Subban.

Maybe so, but the poster is suggesting that we would lose him to Seattle anyway, so there's no point in acquiring him if I read correctly. If that is the case, then it would be a positive in my books.

Need a top 6 forward. Tram comes over after his KHL season done to upgrade D.

JB said a couple days ago he's looking for a top 6 forward.

If Madden goes you trade for Hall..

Hall + 3rd for Madden + Rafferty + LE. 

I think JB would do it if Hall agrees to reasonable money/term on extension. I doubt Hall will because he'll be getting Panarin money as UFA. 

Edited by WHL rocks

11 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I think JB would do it if Hall agrees to reasonable money/term on extension. I doubt Hall will because he'll be getting Panarin money as UFA. 

Hall ain't coming here under any circumstances man. Let it go. 

Edited by morrissex95

16 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

NJD should be able to get a 1st and a prospect for Hall without having to take an anchor contract back.  

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Yep... Subban not being an elite #1 D isn’t the same as him being washed up like Eriksson.  He is still eating up over 20 minutes a game.

If you are swapping their contracts, you absolutely need to add.

Folks also have to consider where prospects, even if they do pan out, would fit into our team.  Madden is probably farther away than Podkolzin and Hoglander... plus we have some other guys that might hit the middle six of our lineup as well. It would be a surprise to ever see Madden as a meaningful part of our roster.

Added cap space and having a useful player instead of Eriksson is a win.  

I am not sure about the folks saying it would ruin our chances of signing Barrie... without dropping Eriksson’s cap we can’t afford him anyways.  This move would actually free up more space.  We only have 1 RD signed beyond this season.

Exactly

And the run and gun style is more suited to his game as opposed to the trap in Jersey

And if all he turns out to be is a third pairing d man then at least he's usable

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I just went and read the Devils board.  Even they don't think they will get much for Subban due to his recent play and contract.

No way I offer Madden.

It would have to be a lesser prospect imo. It is not like we even need the guy. I would not mind if JB picked him up and JB has shown interest in the past. But it would have to be a low price along with a good chunk of salary retention.

If NJ was willing to retain 50% then that prospect becomes a better one.

It's about getting rid of Eriksson though who has zero value 

Madden IMO doesn't have a spot on the team and will end up in a trade

Edited by Wanless

3 minutes ago, mll said:

NJD should be able to get a 1st and a prospect for Hall without having to take an anchor contract back.  

They will have to take salary back hall makes 6 mill. How many contenders can add 6 mill cap without moving salary out. Not many imo.

Madden and Rafferty are a very good package. If JB offers that Ray Shero will have a hard time turning that down..he'll gladly take LE.

Only way JB offers that package is if he can get Hall signed to extension. They'll have to take LE. 

I could also see Demko + LE being the trade. JB wants to extend Marky...