The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Subban on the Block?

Provost

23 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

They will have to take salary back hall makes 6 mill. How many contenders can add 6 mill cap without moving salary out. Not many imo.

Madden and Rafferty are a very good package. If JB offers that Ray Shero will have a hard time turning that down..he'll gladly take LE.

Only way JB offers that package is if he can get Hall signed to extension. They'll have to take LE. 

I could also see Demko + LE being the trade. JB wants to extend Marky...

Take salary back of an upcoming UFA or retain up to 3M on Hall but not take 2 extra years.   

Rafferty is already 24.  Madden is a NCAA player and there is the risk that he can elect to go to UFA. 

Edited by mll

36 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

They will have to take salary back hall makes 6 mill. How many contenders can add 6 mill cap without moving salary out. Not many imo.

Madden and Rafferty are a very good package. If JB offers that Ray Shero will have a hard time turning that down..he'll gladly take LE.

Only way JB offers that package is if he can get Hall signed to extension. They'll have to take LE. 

They won’t be taking back Ericksson in a Hall trade.  He’s the biggest fish to hit the trade deadline in awhile. Even as a rental they’re going to get a good package for him.  Ericksson’s contract is an anchor for another 2 1/2 seasons and Demko isn’t a proven starter, plus he now has a history of concussions, not a good injury for a player that routinely takes shots to the head 

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Maybe so, but the poster is suggesting that we would lose him to Seattle anyway, so there's no point in acquiring him if I read correctly. If that is the case, then it would be a positive in my books.

My post was just what I think could happen if Canucks did some how trade for Subban. I would think Seattle would draft him as I don’t think he would be able too protected him. Plus its be losing good Prospects to acquire Subban.

but it’ll never happen anyways with no cap room. Canucks need too make cap space first.

Anything is possible Tho.

Edited by HockeyHarry

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Take salary back of an upcoming UFA or retain up to 3M on Hall but not take 2 extra years.   

Rafferty is already 24.  Madden is a NCAA player and there is the risk that he can elect to go to UFA. 

Rafferty can't go UFA. Signed for 2 years then become RFA.

Madden is 2nd season NCAA. He'd have to play 2 more years after this then go UFA. He'll graduate to AHL by end of next season. He's not staying in college for full 4 years. 

There will definitely be salary going back. No matter where he goes.. even if it's ARZ they'll have to take Soderberg back. Salary out salary in...cup contenders don't have 6 mill laying around in cap space..

LE makes 4 mill next 2 yrs but cap is 6 mill. Lower budget team like NJD wouldn't mind that. 

I could see Virtanen + LE for Hall as well if Hall agrees to extend. 9 mill per year for 7 years. 

I think Chycka will make a major push to get him... Interesting couple days coming up. 

Madden + Rafferty + LE

Demko + LE

Virtanen + LE

I could see JB offering  these packages.

Contingent on Hall signing extension.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Madden is 2nd season NCAA. He'd have to play 2 more years after this then go UFA. He'll graduate to AHL by end of next season. He's not staying in college for full 4 years. 

There will definitely be salary going back. No matter where he goes.. even if it's ARZ they'll have to take Soderberg back. Salary out salary in...cup contenders don't have 6 mill laying around in cap space..

LE makes 4 mill next 2 yrs but cap is 6 mill. Lower budget team like NJD wouldn't mind that. 

I could see Virtanen + LE for Hall as well if Hall agrees to extend. 9 mill per year for 7 years. 

I think Chycka will make a major push to get him... Interesting couple days coming up. 

Madden + Rafferty + LE

Demko + LE

Virtanen + LE

I could see Shero laughing with his buddies about how insane Benning was if he called with those offers.  Hall is almost certainly going to fetch a 1st round pick, and a top prospect.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

I could see Shero laughing with his buddies about how insane Benning was if he called with those offers.  Hall is almost certainly going to fetch a 1st round pick, and a top prospect.

If Shero wants a late 1st rounder over a proven young NHL player like Virtanen or Demko then it's not happening in Vancouver..not sure why he would do that.. pick 20 to 30 won't make NHL for 4 or 5 years if he ever makes it... I think he'd rather take a proven young NHL player instead. 

ARZ has ability to give up a 1st. 

Soderberg + 1st + Merkley 

Something around that...

24 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Madden + Rafferty + LE

Demko + LE

Virtanen + LE

Arizona can keep Soderberg - they can send Hossa's LTIR contract the other way for the cap to work.  Shero got a 2nd round pick when he took the LTIR contract of Marc Savard from Florida.

Those offers don't look sufficient for a player like Hall.   Even Kane got a better package than that - Eriksson has negative value.  Stone got Erik Brannstrom and a 2nd round pick - Brannstrom was 15th overall. 

Edited by mll

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Arizona can keep Soderberg - they can send Hossa's LTIR contract the other way for the cap to work.  Shero got a 2nd round pick when he took the LTIR contract of Marc Savard from Florida.

Those offers don't look sufficient for a player like Hall.   Even Kane got a better package than that - Eriksson has negative value.  Stone got Erik Brannstrom and a 2nd round pick - Brannstrom was 15th overall. 

LTIR doesn't count against cap. ARZ don't need to move Hossa's LTIR contract. That's pointless. Doesn't help ARZ add 6 mill in Hall's cap hit..Hossa only makes 1 mill in real dollars next season so it's marginal.. and he's never playing again. He's 40 yrs old and  done.. probably living back in Slovakia now..

So what If Brannstrom was 15th overall. Virtanen was 6th.. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

LTIR doesn't count against cap. ARZ don't need to move Hossa's LTIR contract. That's pointless. Doesn't help ARZ add 6 mill in Hall's cap hit..Hossa only makes 1 mill in real dollars next season so it's marginal.. and he's never playing again. He's 40 yrs old and  done.. probably living back in Slovakia now..

There is a significant difference between being a year removed from being 15th overall and 6 years removed from being 6th overall.  Virtanen’s draft position at this point is meaningless. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Arizona has been trying to move that contract because they are too close to the cap and it limits their flexibility.  LTIR doesn't allow to cover the performance bonuses this season which is nuisance as it creates dead cap space for next season.  It also limits who can be recalled because bonuses have to be accounted for.  

Brannstrom was recently drafted so his draft position still had meaning - as players gain experience it has less meaning as the potential upside is more defined / set.  Virtanen his draft year had more upside than he does now in his draft+6.  In a re-draft he no longer goes 6th overall.  

5 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I don’t know if PK has really cared about hockey for a very long time. His off ice charities and celebrity appearances are what seem to annoy the teams he plays for because they are more important to him. While he means well , he doesn’t put hockey first. That’s the knock on him , besides being overpaid and   on a steady decline.

Nashville liked that about him.  They are continuing his blue line buddies program.  He even joined Josi to host when the Devils were in town last Saturday.  Their video tribute showed a lot of his charity work.  

Shero liked that about him too.  The marketing was also part of what they had trade for.  Just look at how they welcomed him in New Jersey - they put on a show.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

Arizona has been trying to move that contract because they are too close to the cap and it limits their flexibility.  LTIR doesn't allow to cover the performance bonuses this season which is nuisance as it creates dead cap space for next season.  It also limits who can be recalled because bonuses have to be accounted for.  

Brannstrom was recently drafted so his draft position still had meaning - as players gain experience it has less meaning as the potential upside is more defined / set.  Virtanen his draft year had more upside than he does now in his draft+6.  In a re-draft he no longer goes 6th overall.  

How does moving an LTIR help ARZ add 6 mill in Hall's salary ? They're at 84+ mill cap right now. Are you drinking.. it is after 2am lol...

Performance bonuses for next year? Lol. C'mon man. 

We can discuss Coyotes potential performance bonuses for next season but I don't see the point. 

We'll see what happens. Pretty interesting to see how it unfolds. 

That's all. Don't see a point discussing this any further. Performance bonuses.....:ph34r:

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Huh?

This is the Subban trade thread.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Madden + Rafferty + LE

Demko + LE

Virtanen + LE

Subban thread.

• Thanks 1

On Suban... I really don't see JB making a move for him.. RH PP Dman who can walk the line... it's been on JB's Xmas wishlist for many years now...we need a top 6 forward.. but just for fun...

JB has liked him and wanted him since he was in MTL..

9 mill cap hit .... LE will most definitely be going other way..

LE (6mill) + Baer (2.3 mill) + Madden and a D prospect.. Brisebois 700k

9 mill out 9 mill in...

11 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Huh?

This is the Subban trade thread.

10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Subban thread.

Thanks for pointing that out..

Of course I could go into your profile to read you're past messages and point out your off topic or wrong thread posts....

But I wouldn't do that...   

• Haha 1

Poile didn't want to trade him but needed the cap space.  I doubt he envisioned such a decline in his play.   

All summer he has flooded social media with his workouts so it's not like he didn't prepare himself for the season. 

His ice time has gradually declined - close to 24minutes in October to 20 minutes in December (relegated to the 2nd pairing).

Could they even find a taker at 4.5M?  

Edited by mll

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Need a top 6 forward. Tram comes over after his KHL season done to upgrade D.

JB said a couple days ago he's looking for a top 6 forward.

If Madden goes you trade for Hall..

Hall + 3rd for Madden + Rafferty + LE. 

I think JB would do it if Hall agrees to reasonable money/term on extension. I doubt Hall will because he'll be getting Panarin money as UFA. 

Shero would get fired immediately after that trade went down, horrible return for Hall. They are going to want a 1st or a very high end prospect plus for him. Madden is a prospect who is very small and we shall see how he adjusts to the pro's, his stats look nice but College stats don't always pan out to great Pro hockey success. Rafferty is an older College FA signing, doing well in the A but not much value imo. LE is such dead weight to get a team to just take LE you would need to add more than Rafferty and Madden imo not have him in a deal that gets you the most sought after pending ufa at the TDL.

GM JB needs to lay low, get create and try and get rid of the LE and SB cap hits before July 1. Target a top 6 winger as a UFA, give up assets to dump some salary, then sign a guy without giving up anything. We are still 2-4 years away from really being a threat imo, so I would wait and try to dump some dead weight contracts 1st