The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Subban on the Block?

Provost

7 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

My post was just what I think could happen if Canucks did some how trade for Subban. I would think Seattle would draft him as I don’t think he would be able too protected him. Plus its be losing good Prospects to acquire Subban.

but it’ll never happen anyways with no cap room. Canucks need too make cap space first.

Anything is possible Tho.

I don't think anyone is really considering giving up a serious asset to acquire him. I think the main consideration is that we dump Eriksson as well for a player that at worst can still play regularly, just not at his optimal performance. If Seattle takes him, then it protects the rest of the roster (we may to expose one of Demko and Markstrom plus some young guys like Lind may be exposed). Plus it'll free up his cap space. Subban is unlikely to be in our long term plans. If we are worried about facing him in Seattle, then any team that has him could be exposing him as well, so might as well be able to protect the rest of our players if he's going to get taken wherever he may end up.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mll said:

Poile didn't want to trade him but needed the cap space.  I doubt he envisioned such a decline in his play.   

All summer he has flooded social media with his workouts so it's not like he didn't prepare himself for the season. 

His ice time has gradually declined - close to 24minutes in October to 20 minutes in December (relegated to the 2nd pairing).

Could they even find a taker at 4.5M?  

20+ minute defencemen are worth a lot of money.  We just spent $6 million x 6 years on what outside analysts called a 4-5th D in Meyers.

Suggesting there wouldn’t be takers at $4.5 million is pretty ludicrous.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Provost said:

20+ minute defencemen are worth a lot of money.  We just spent $6 million x 6 years on what outside analysts called a 4-5th D in Meyers.

Suggesting there wouldn’t be takers at $4.5 million is pretty ludicrous.

New Jersey's blue line is not very good.  It's not like they have options to give ice time to.   5 assists so far which is a fair bit less than you would expect from Subban.  He's had trouble dealing with the speed.  

It might simply be a poor fit in NJD but Nashville only had a few teams interested in Subban.  Obviously a 9M cap hit but teams asked Nashville to retain so not sure that the cap hit was the lone reason they didn't have that many teams interested.  

Custance asked around and those were some comments made at the time of the trade to NJD:

Talent evaluators have also noted a decline in Subban’s skating.

“Quite a bit,” texted an NHL executive on Saturday.

Said one coach: “Can’t skate.”

And an NHL scout added: “I think his game has fallen off.”

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

So many people are focusing on his stats while being on one of the worst teams in the league. The fact is that; he was terrific in Nashville (which isn’t a surprise), and that any deal taking him away from NJ would most likely start with some form of cap being eaten by NJ. 

Benning has a history of wanting PK, and honestly, if the deal makes sense, it’s an absolutely great idea on our end. 
He’s a great offensive dman that can QB a PP, can play physical, has a cannon of a shot and an elite first pass. 
yes, he’s on the tail end of his prime that’s for sure, but if even 3 M are being retained, that would put him at the same cap as Myers. Anybody on this forum think Myers is even close to Subban in terms of skill, physicality and hockey IQ? 
He’s worth it.. at the right price. 

edit: also want to add that Pk subban has been playing a complete shutdown role and has been given little to no freedom to play his game in NJ. That freedom has been attributes to Vatanen and Butcher, who are both great offensive dmen, and with all that favorable (not in amount but in quality) of TOI, are ar 13 and 9 points respectively. NJ is one of the lowest scoring teams and have only a handful of players above 10 points. Let that sink in... they’re an embarrassment 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

He’s a great offensive dman that can QB a PP, can play physical, has a cannon of a shot and an elite first pass. 

He was all of those things. the question now is "is he still all those things"?

And $9 mill for 3-4 or 5 d man is a lotta money.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Bell said:

Hard Pass.  This guy is a locker room cancer and is not worth any where near his contract.  When a guy has been moved around this much in such a short period of time, you have to realize there are huge red flags.

Nashville acquired him as he was younger than Weber. Nashville then moved him because they knew they had to re sign their Captain Josi and couldn't keep Subban, I am sure they tried as they were rumoured to have attempted to move Turris and his 6m cap hit but couldn't. So they dealt Subban and didnt have to retain any salary, smart by them to clear 9m. They added a pair of 2nd round picks and 2 other players.

NJD, tried to to a fast turnaround this summer to lure Hall to stay and try and have a competitive team competing for a playoff spot. They signed Simmonds to a high priced 1yr deal, traded for Subban and drafted Hughes. It just didnt work out, they couldn't lock up Hall and now have to deal him...Which means NJD is retooling/rebuilding so they probably want to shed Subban. If NJD retain they should be able to move Subban either during the year or at the draft

The problem is, JB would have to move LE to make this work, but if he could and the cost was within reason, this is a move I think he would consider. They would have to retain $3M as previously stated but I still think PK would be a very good fit in Vancouver. So, it all depends on the cost and is very unlikely to happen.

3 minutes ago, aliboy said:

The problem is, JB would have to move LE to make this work, but if he could and the cost was within reason, this is a move I think he would consider. They would have to retain $3M as previously stated but I still think PK would be a very good fit in Vancouver. So, it all depends on the cost and is very unlikely to happen.

Would Nashville not take LE to dump Turris and his longer 6m cap hit deal? Even a slight add by us would be a win for us. Turris can still play, Loser#21 just sucks 

On 12/14/2019 at 6:44 PM, gurn said:

He was all of those things. the question now is "is he still all those things"?

And $9 mill for 3-4 or 5 d man is a lotta money.

He still is. Like i stated in my other post, he’s being completely misused in NJ because he’s the only dman other than vatanen and greene who can defend. He’s got a low amount of points for sure, but their number 1 dman, 1st unit PP QB has 13 points. Their top scorer (Hall) has 25. They are a terrible offensive team that plays the trap, and is literally the opposite of what Subban’s game is. 
Subban as the 2nd PP Qb last year, and with more minutes given to Ellis and Josi, was still at a .5 ppg pace. He also scored 59 points the year before. 
it’s all still there, he’s only 31 i think. He’s got everything we’re looking for and his struggles in NJ could be a blessing in disguise for whoever picks him up at the low cost that he’ll get. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

He still is. Like i stated in my other post, he’s being completely misused in NJ because he’s the only dman other than vatanen and greene who can defend. He’s got a low amount of points for sure, but their number 1 dman, 1st unit PP QB has 13 points. Their top scorer (Hall) has 25. They are a terrible offensive team that plays the trap, and is literally the opposite of what Subban’s game is. 
Subban as the 2nd PP Qb last year, and with more minutes given to Ellis and Josi, was still at a .5 ppg pace. He also scored 59 points the year before. 
it’s all still there, he’s only 31 i think. He’s got everything we’re looking for and his struggles in NJ could be a blessing in disguise for whoever picks him up at the low cost that he’ll get. 

Still too much money, don't want this guy trend setting for future salaries.

If Subban was still  a great player wouldn't he be the number one dman and pp quarterback?

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I doubt NJ is delusional enough to ask for Quin Hughes for 9 million dollar player Subban who barely has any points.

More likely is they will eat 50% of his cap and trade him for a mediocre prospect at this point.

They'll take a guy like Stecher for him and eat 3 mill.

We gotta move LE though so will have to add a prospect..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gurn said:

Still too much money, don't want this guy trend setting for future salaries.

If Subban was still  a great player wouldn't he be the number one dman and pp quarterback?

He would need to be retained almost at 50% for sure... and yeah the cosch is a total and complete dud..... there’s a reason they’re terrible offensively and are only in front of Detroit in the standings. Subban should be the clear cut #1 OFD, but he’s being used as a shutdown dman

Subban + Hughes for LE + spare parts.

Lol.

Only way this would happen is it's a buy low, hope PK returns to form, then sell high.

It's too big of a cap hit for a declining D.  See Karlsson and Doughty as examples.