The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Subban on the Block?

Provost

So just as a reminder -  say NJ would be happy just to recoup what it lost in the deal since PK isn't aging like wine - thats 2 AHL d plugs and two 2nd round picks. Thats the ceiling in the deal. 

NJ would probably take anything with no real salary attached to release him at this point. 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So just as a reminder -  say NJ would be happy just to recoup what it lost in the deal since PK isn't aging like wine - thats 2 AHL d plugs and two 2nd round picks. Thats the ceiling in the deal. 

NJ would probably take anything with no real salary attached to release him at this point. 

They are taking back salary or retaining half the salary otherwise they have to move assets to move him at this point. They tried to buy low on him as a cap dump and now his stock has lowered further. IMO if they want to recoup what they lost at this point, they would need to retain 50%, so they could try to make a hockey trade and try to find a right fit with players coming back with similar cap hits (with retention or not), or be forced in a situation that they have to lose good piece of they expect to dump most of that cap.

With that said, I think he still has some value, but whichever team that is taking him on is taking on a big risk, so it has to be worth it.

Edited by theo5789

44 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

They are taking back salary or retaining half the salary otherwise they have to move assets to move him at this point. They tried to buy low on him as a cap dump and now his stock has lowered further. IMO if they want to recoup what they lost at this point, they would need to retain 50%, so they could try to make a hockey trade and try to find a right fit with players coming back with similar cap hits (with retention or not), or be forced in a situation that they have to lose good piece of they expect to dump most of that cap.

With that said, I think he still has some value, but whichever team that is taking him on is taking on a big risk, so it has to be worth it.

hey if they wanted to do Loui, Baer + some AHL/NHL level d like Breisobois and Chatfiled I'd be fine with trying it out pre-Myers. But not now. They'd get actual roster players who can contribute .... but maybe thats the problem. My guess is they want a high lotto pick again so they don't really want to get better this year at all. 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hey if they wanted to do Loui, Baer + some AHL/NHL level d like Breisobois and Chatfiled I'd be fine with trying it out pre-Myers. But not now. They'd get actual roster players who can contribute .... but maybe thats the problem. My guess is they want a high lotto pick again so they don't really want to get better this year at all. 

Well good luck to them to try to get a reasonable deal for themselves that doesn't require them to take on cap and gain assets for their future. GM of the year should he be able to pull that off. They're better off riding his struggles and hoping he bounces back IMO, unless they just want to cut their losses.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well good luck to them to try to get a reasonable deal for themselves that doesn't require them to take on cap and gain assets for their future. GM of the year should he be able to pull that off. They're better off riding his struggles and hoping he bounces back IMO, unless they just want to cut their losses.

I don't see how they recoup anything really, and don't see them retaining salary this year since they're happy to keep tanking I don't see them retaining this year on PK.

He's free if anyone wants him. Man it just occurred to me... imagine if Jim had traded PLD for PK and this was the result here, I wonder if Jim would still be GM? 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't see how they recoup anything really, and don't see them retaining salary this year since they're happy to keep tanking I don't see them retaining this year on PK.

He's free if anyone wants him. Man it just occurred to me... imagine if Jim had traded PLD for PK and this was the result here, I wonder if Jim would still be GM? 

If this was the result, then most likely not. But also can't assume that his play would deteriorate the same way. We've been looking for a #1 dman for a long time at that point and a RD to boot. He may have thrived in this market.

Just now, theo5789 said:

If this was the result, then most likely not. But also can't assume that his play would deteriorate the same way. We've been looking for a #1 dman for a long time at that point and a RD to boot. He may have thrived in this market.

thats true. PK may also just want out of NJ and has stopped making the effort on a team thats in tank mode. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true. PK may also just want out of NJ and has stopped making the effort on a team thats in tank mode. 

Doubt it.  His play has simply declined.  I don't think he's able to carry a top pairing anymore. In Nashville he was playing with Ekholm who is so reliable and they had another top pairing in Josi-Ellis.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, mll said:

Doubt it.  His play has simply declined.  I don't think he's able to carry a top pairing anymore. In Nashville he was playing with Ekholm who is so reliable and they had another top pairing in Josi-Ellis.

well in that case, bullet dodged I suppose. 

15 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Suban seems like a great character guy who would liven up the dressing room but it looks like his skills have dropped off and that contract will be a nightmare to deal with later on.

It's a 3 year deal, 2 more after this year, if they retained $3M, it would leave a $6M cap hit. So a year or two from now, if Tanev and Edler were both gone, we would have Subban, Hughes and say Tryamkin, then go from there. It really isn't that bad.

Edited by aliboy
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aliboy said:

It's a 3 year deal, 2 more after this year, if they retained $3M, it would leave a $6M cap hit. So a year or two from now, if Tanev and Edler were both gone, we would have Subban, Hughes and say Tryamkin, then go from there. It really isn't that bad.

Only if we can swing them taking Eriksson.

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Only if we can swing them taking Eriksson.

Yes, absolutely nothing happens if we can't move LE, which makes it very unlikely. If I'm JB, I say to LE, if you block this deal you go straight to Utica. Should not be a problem for Jersey, if it's true that a deal is in place for LE to retire once he receives his next $3M bonus, so he's gone before next season and Jersey's year is already a right-off.

• Cheers 1

On 12/16/2019 at 10:25 AM, Boudrias said:

He didn't work out in Montreal, Nash, NJ where next? Vancouver has to get younger not older. 

The problem at this point, largely because of his back issues, is that he’s being called upon to be a top pairing defenseman. If NJ retains some salary (would have to), a team that can shelter him as a #4 or even #5 on a deep blue line could use him. That’s the only way I see him being a serviceable NHL defenseman at this point.

If a team that desperately needs to bolster their blue line goes out and thinks Subban will drastically improve their top 4 (ie: Toronto, Edmonton), they are in for a rude awakening.

1 hour ago, aliboy said:

Yes, absolutely nothing happens if we can't move LE, which makes it very unlikely. If I'm JB, I say to LE, if you block this deal you go straight to Utica. Should not be a problem for Jersey, if it's true that a deal is in place for LE to retire once he receives his next $3M bonus, so he's gone before next season and Jersey's year is already a right-off.

Ya, that is the only way a deal makes sense.

Trades pretty much have to be dollar for dollar, so money has to go back.

Our cap implications would have to be pretty neutral in the end.

No trades should happen until we have dumped Eriksson in the minors for a while to really test whether he wants to ride the bus for three years.  There is still a chance he doesn’t want to and retires, leaving us completely off the hook.

Cap space is so tight around the league, if we could free up the Eriksson money we could be in a really good position to get assets for taking on a little short term cap space... or get a good player from a cap strapped team who might just be a little overpaid.

• Upvote 1